1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC only recognises DVD burner as ROM drive :(

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Hockingra, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Hockingra

Hockingra Member

Hi,
    Can someone please help...
    I have just installed a new DVD burner (1st one I have owned) to replace a CD burner.
    I have installed DVD-Decypter and Nero6.
    Neither will burn to blank DVD's as they only recognise the burner as a ROM drive.

I have checked (and loaded) Aspi drivers and when I use the Nero toolkit it tells me that the Aspi driver files present are,
    winaspi32.dll
    aspi32.sys
    winaspi.dll
    wowpost.exe

I have checked that DMA is 'on' on both the 'C' and 'CD' drives (autorun is also 'on' on the CD drive).

If I go to the DVD-Decrypter setup (in ISO) and change the Aspi settings to winaspi32, it then tells me no device is present.

Do I need to install winaspi32.sys? (does this file even exist to install?)

oh! I am running XP (service pack2)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Biosgain

Biosgain Guest

What`s it recognised in the BIOS as?
    Is it configured as master or slave correctly and are the jumper settings correct?
    Did the nero come with the drive?
    Can you try another (newer) version of nero?

3. Hockingra

Hockingra Member

Thank you for your interest so far :)

I have followed a 'heap' of suggestions posted by Scuba Pete to someone else’s similar problem and have read many threads on this site prior to posting my prob just to let you know I have not just looked for an easy solution.

I have the DVD drive set as master on IDE2 and jumpered correctly.

The BOIS sees it as a 'Lite-on IT SOHW 1633S DVD +/-RW'
    I will double check that though tonight.

Nero did come with the Drive (it was new last Friday) I guessed it was Nero 6 but will check that tonight as well.

Interesting 'thing' though, (I saw last night)Nero does actually see the drive as a RW drive but doesn't write to it (although goes through the motions without error)

DVD Decrypter does the same (goes through the motions without error) but no writing occurs.

A person at the shop I bought it from said it would be the service pack-2 for Windows XP that is causing the problem and told me to re format the drive and only load XP (no service packs) and that may fix it.

I will do that tonight but does that sound like a possible cause to you?

As I have never had a DVD burner before I am unsure as to whether I should be able to just install it and start burning, or whether there is normally a more involved process involved.

Anyway thanks for your help I will re-check all your suggestions tonight (just to be sure) and let you know.

Rob

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  4. Hockingra

Hockingra Member

I'VE FIXED IT...
    I re-formatted my drive (80 gig so NTFS)
    I re-loaded Windows XP (THE IMPORTANT BIT - WITHOUT SERVICE PACK 2!)
    Everything now sees the DVD burner as a burner Not a ROM drive and I can successfully burn DVD's now no probs!!