1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC or Mac? (For making 3D Model and Animation)

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by sppdhs, Nov 13, 2010.

1. sppdhs

sppdhs Member

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of buying a new laptop as my current one will be 5 years old next year and it currently gives me a blue screen everytime I run a heavy software to make 3D models and animation.

Question is: Should I buy Macbook Pro or a Windows 7 laptop?

I tried to research and some say that Windows would be better, especially because you can buy a very high spec laptop with cheaper price.

While some other say Macbook Pro is the better choice as it can run bootcamp with windows 7 100% performance on every software even though it's a mac. Is this true?

Which one is actually better?

Btw, the software that I usually use is 3Ds Max, Maya, and ZBrush.
    To note as well, I have never used a Mac before.
    I've checked around some stores and budget wise, I'll need around AU$3000+ to buy a Macbook pro, and AU$2000+ to buy a windows laptop. Quite a big difference in price range.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go with the windows & use the money saved to get an external hd, external 22"+ monitor, more ram or a color laser printer.

3. sppdhs

sppdhs Member

Thanks for the advice ddp. It's always nice to save money and use it for enhancements.

But thing is, I'm very worried that if I bought a windows laptop, it would turn out to be as buggy, laggy, with high blue screen proneness.
    I know that if the laptop itself is very high spec, this case shouldn't happen.
    But this tend to happen whenever I try to have the system do some multitasking.

Like for example, while doing the 3D, I need to research something on the net. Rather than quitting the software, I just save and minimize it and then run opera to do the research. Obviously because I'm using a windows laptop, I will need an anti-virus running in the background.

That's why I would like to know if mac's bootcamp can actually run windows 7 and its softwares perfectly at 100% performance or not.

The one who told me that it can run at 100% performance is a mac fanboy maniac.
    So I'm afraid that he's just biased.
    I would like an objective opinion on it.

Thanks again.

4. ddp

the windows laptop will most likely be 1 of the "i" series cpu whether i3, 15 or i7 so should be great for multi-tasking. will also have windows 7 so make certain it is the 64bit premium version so you can max out the amount of ram installed as would come initially with 4gig.

5. sppdhs

sppdhs Member

Thanks for the feedback ddp.
    I've asked others as well about this.
    Thanks to you and them, now I'm convinced on windows laptop instead of a mac.

Thanks again.

6. ddp

no problem, teach & learn.