1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Problem ........

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by MannyF38, Oct 24, 2004.

1. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

hey guys... well a couple of weeks ago my friend brought over a pc and ask me to see if i could repair it for him it was a P4 on a msi motherboard with 133SDram memory... so i turned on the pc no video everything would turn on tho (PS,CPU fan,chassis fan) and it was giving me 8 beeps (8 Beeps: Display memory read/write failure) AMI bios well i change the video card and everything same problem so i told him to get a new motherboard and he got a ASUS p4S800 along with some memory so i said ok i installed the processor and the new memory on the new motherboard i put my video card in there that i know is working change the power supply with a extra one i had ok with that done i turned on the PC well no beeps this time just no video same exact thing as before i change video cards again same thing tryed diferent memory same thing , i canot see what else can be wrong i exchange every part but the processor and if the processor was bad it would not turn on right ? any suggestions anyone ?

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Asus boards are very particular as to the voltage of the video card. If a card of incompatable voltage is inserted, no beeps will sound. Your board (P4S800)
    only works with 1.5 volt cards--I suspect this is the problem.
    What card are you using and what is the voltage?
    Check the board manuel for compatable cards.

check this link for 'keys' of AGP cards.

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/faqs/kb/10,67.html

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2004
  3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you have a working pci video card, if do try it in place of agp video card & see what happens. the new board is a 8x agp slot, a 2x or less won't fit because of the notches are in wrong place. if you had a diagnostic card like i have you would be able to see if there was an activity in cpu or not

4. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

what am testing it with is a mx400 geforce2 64mb 4x , and i tested it with a (old) pci video card but same thing...am gonna try it wit a mx440 geforce4 8x that i have...but i think theres somehing else to this...other then the video card because if it was just the video card the system should still boot right ? so i sohuld hear the harddrive spin ?

5. ddp

yes you will hear drive spin & you'll also see floppy(?) & cdrom light up. disconnect power, clear cmos & repower system. also disconnect both data & power to drives & see what happens

6. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

yea see thats why i think its more than a video problem... because the harddrive does not not even spin up or get to that point so i think its something else,,,... i havent tryed the new video card yet but i just wnated to let u know aobut the harddrive.....

7. ddp

disconnect all the drives from motherboard, use pci videocard & see what happens

8. Molder

Molder Regular member

Mannyf38,
    This may help, the motherboard may be grounded, try taking the motherboard out and don't let it touch any metal and power her up. (also a silly question is the internal speaker connected correctly, if it isn't you won't get any beeps) the beeps will tell you whats wrong. I will put money on the motherboard being grounded.

M

9. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

lol..i put many computers together before never had that problem but it might be something with the case since the other motherboard was doing the same thing so am gonna take it out tht case and check it.. and try it in another case with diferent parts and see what happens...now i seen someone ground am otherboard before and turn it off and it just went up in smoke if this one was grounded why din't it go up in smoke ?

10. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

the pc speaker is in corectly , and i have tryed a pci video card and many agp's and no problem fixed..

11. ddp

check your cmos jumper if in correct spot, seen/heard that happened in clear cmos setting instead of normal. if in normal clear the cmos to see what happens. try putting motherboard on wood service, hook video card & ps & powerup board. another possiblity is bios screwed

12. Molder

Molder Regular member

MannyF38,
    Didn't mean to come across that you where dumb or anything, just sometimes we tend to over look the obvious, doe this mother board have on board video?

If so does that work.

I have seen another brand of mother board (can't rightly recall which one) if the board was grounded i would not work, it didn't fry the board, it just did not like touching the case, some plastic spacers were required to act as an insulator.

I am interested to see what the problem is.

M

13. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Asus P4S800 has no video onboard. Good try!!!!!

14. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

MannyF38, when you power up the machine does the floppy light come on? Does the cd tray open when you hit the button? How about the light? How about the keyboard lights, do the come on? You say the hard drive doesn't spin--what happens when you unplug the IDE cable and turn the machine on-- does it spin?

Do you have 478 pin processor to test P4S800 board?

15. Molder

Molder Regular member

I've got a theory, based on what we have been told, the only common piece of hardware (between the old MOBO and the new) is the CPU, my theory is the CPU has crapped out.

16. ddp

how old cpu, under warranty??

17. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

nah the cpu was bought a while back at a computer show my friend said.. but now i got another similar problem i was playing around with my hPC OCing it and i guess i went 2 far and it restarted so it kept restarting when i was trying to get in the bios it would restart before i could cahnge the settings and it did it like 4 times it would give me like 4 or 5 seecs bcuz i was lazy to turn it off and reset the bios wiht the jumper then finaly it dosent restart no more and it turns on with no video similar problem to the other computer just this one i know how it happened any ideas? its a DFI nfII infinity with a xp2000 and 256 ddr3200 ... i tryed everthing i left the battery out and unpluged it all last night gonna try it later when i go home just incase for some reason the jumper on the bios was not working..

18. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

So now you have TWO videoless machines? It's not your week is it?

Back to the first one-- When you power up the machine does the floppy light come on? Does the cd tray open when you hit the button? How about the light? How about the keyboard lights, do the come on? You say the hard drive doesn't spin--what happens when you unplug the IDE cable and turn the machine on-- does it spin?

What video card do you have in the second--Did you oc far enough to damage it?

19. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

i havent checked all that ill cehck it when i go home...do you have any suggestions for my PC iam more concern aobut my right now lol...

20. MannyF38

MannyF38 Member

no i din't OC the agp/pci on my board gives me option to keep them at a safe speed... even tho i din't check it when i was OC but i highly doubt thats what it was i tryed a diferent video card already... eitehr way when i turn it on my hHD lights sstays on for a few seconds then turns off cdrom comes on and everything... but no video and i iknow its not runnin normally even with no video..