1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question PC problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by paulie57, Feb 4, 2015.

1. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Hi can anyone help me with some input, the brother ask me to take a look at his laptop when I press the start button light coming on butall I get is a black screen I took out the battery and put it back in and it started up got in to Windows etc, I didn't a few scans and cleaned it up but when I shut it down and tried to restart again black screen again ,I can hear the drive starting for 30 seconds or so and then powers down , I tried taking the battery out again to see could I start it again but nothing , any one with any input would be grateful thanks in advance
    Cheers
    Paulie57

tmr I toock screen

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

starting a comp then nothing but a black screen including no BIOS F1 or F2 selection usually is a sign of hardware issues .If it was a desktop i'd remove wires & hardware only leaving cpu & power supply connected.Then 1 by 1 reconnect starting with 1 stick of ram& reboot then shutdown & add graphics card etc etc.In your case i'd start with ram remove all but one stick,disconnect power from dvd drive & hdd.if it has onboard & a graphics card remove the graphics card switch to onboard.restart you should get beeps however you should be able to get to BIOS.turn off comp,reattach hdd see what happens,if nothing switch out ram,reboot if still nothing its time for replacement laptop is what i would assume

3. aldan

aldan Active member

will it boot to the bios or the boot menu so you can boot from the windows dvd and try a repair?

4. ajsmsg78

ajsmsg78 Member

Take the battery out and unplug the AC Adapter from the laptop. Hold in the power button for 60 seconds. Then put the battery back in and see if it turns on. If it's an HP laptop (junk) then if that doesn't work it's definitely time for a new one.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

your kidding right??it would be a cold day in hell when i would throw away a computer on this lame advise.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Agree with aldan. You should've said keep the hard drive dump the rest

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ajsmsg78, doesn't have to be a hp as I've scrapped just about every manufacturer of laptops there is after stripping drives, ram & screen 1st.

paulie, who makes the laptop?

8. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Scorpnz thanks for the info Will give what you say a go , as to ajsmsg78 it an asus , when I go to start up I can't even get in to the bios ,I think we all seem to agree it's a
    hardware problem will give all your input a go guys over the weekend , no joy after that I think it time for that skip,,
    Thanks aagain guys for the info
    Paulie57

9. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Hi guys tried a few of your tips, I did as ajsmsg78 was saying took out the battery put back in and held the start button for 30 or so seconds and got it running again, started in option mode e.g. start Windows normaly, got Windows running from their , I charged the battery to 100pc took out the power cable within 40 minutes battery level dropped to 50 Ppercent i also shut down at that level when I went to start up again, pressed the start button again black screen and nothing, took out the battery put it back in and it started up with Windows ,so I'm wondering guys is it a battery issue any input would be grateful thanks in advance guys .
    ps also tried to start with both power and battery together and no luck , but once I take the battery out and in again it starts up , totally freaked out at this point

Paulie57 ....

10. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Had a friend that had an older laptop that like to drove us crazy.. It would not boot to windows and we finally discovered that by removing the battery and replacing it you could then boot to windows. o_O
    He said it was old and needed replacing anyway so he just kept using it by pulling and replacing the battery... Don't know if he has replaced it yet or not but he was still using it the last time I saw him.. :p

11. paulie57

paulie57 Regular member

Ya 2oldgeek I think he's happy having to take the battery out and back in to boot up,reckons it's to old to be throwing money at it, time to spend a few Bob on a new one cheers for all the tech info guy's much appreciated
    Paulie57