1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC RAM Question

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by smeagol75, Jul 6, 2007.

1. smeagol75

smeagol75 Guest

Hello One & ALL,

I have a PC RAM Question for you gurus out there. Here is the low down:

SYSTEM:
    Sony VAIO VGC RA-710G (PC3200 RAM). My system is designed for a max RAM of 2GB (4 Memory Slots), per the tech specs.

SITUATION:
    The system HAD; "2" 256MB Chips, "1" 512MB Chip and "1" 1GB Chip. I was getting on occasion memory related glitch, so I removed all the memory and replaced it with NEW RAM via "2" 2GB Chips.

UPGRADE:
    Again, my system was designed for a max of "2" GB's of RAM. So I did a TEST. Since I now have 2 memory slots open, I pluged in another 1GB chip, totaling 3GB's of RAM. To my surprise the system accepted the 3GB's and ALL areas noted the 3GB's of RAM.

QUESTION:
    Since the 3GB's have been recognized by the PC (Control Panel SYSTEM and during BOOT up). Is there a hidden problem that I am not seeing? Is there any benfits from running the 3GB's or 2GB's?

Thanks for your help on this matter! Much APPRECIATED! ~~ Smeagol

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As long as you're running XP Pro, it should recognise 4GB. You shouldn't experience many issues unless your board is very old. The RAM setup they used before was bizarre, a cheap way of getting 2GB in the old days!

3. smeagol75

smeagol75 Guest

My system:
    Sony VAIO (Liquid Cooled) VGC RA-710G (Aug 2003)
    P4 3.2 EE/HT
    2GB PC 3200 RAM (Ready to boost up 3.5GB [1-1GB & 1-512MB)
    ATI 1600XT 512MB VRAM
    500GB Drive with 16MB Burst = Internal Drive (Western Digital)
    750GB Drive External (Western Digital)
    1 DVD DL R-/R+
    1 DVD LightScribe R-/R+
    Sony TV Tuner
    Acer 22" AL2216W LCD

Thanks for the info. If I load 3 slots with 1GB PC3200 and the 4th with 512MB PC3200, will that run OK? Will the 512 snag anything? Understanding the 4GB max, as thats what I always thought, so why do they say 2GB max in the Tech Specs? Note: The PC recognizes the extra RAM on BOOT UP and also in the SYSTEM panel (Control Panel).

Seperate - which would be considered the preferred connection on my EXT HD = USB 2.0 or FireWire 400? The HD supplied both cables.

Thanks! Joey

4. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

They probably wrote that because they thought the motherboard only supported 2GB of RAM but I guess it supports more. I don't understand how they could have made a mistake like that, but it seems thats what they did.

You should not have problems as long as long as you have Windows XP or Vista and are not over 4GB.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I'd probably use USB2 you know, you won't get much more out of Firewire 400, shame it doesn't support 800...

6. smeagol75

smeagol75 Guest

Thanks Folks! Running VISTA Ultimate/32 Bit. The RAM is reading properly in all areas. RAM Breakdown; 3 1GB Chips and 1 512MB Chip. RAM is PC 3200 @ 400MHZ

SIDE NOTE: A NEW item, well many, but just a matter a fact on this one, named "WINDOWS EXPERIENCE INDEX BASE SCORE". My system (See above) has a score of "4.3" Your overall score is actually your lowest score out of the group. Not bad for a 4 year old system. It pays to take pride and care of your PC. Of course all of the upgrades helped out in a BIG way. So how is everyone else doing on their score?

Again, THANKS! ~~~ Joey

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

My PC can't run Vista due to a glitch with one of the vista drivers for an onboard component. Doesn't matter though, I'm modifying the games that need vista so they work on XP. My file server gets a score of 3.5 I think.