1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Reboots durring video encoding

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Kams, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Kams

Kams Member

My PC reboots while I'm using memory intensive applications in dual channel memory. I am using:

2x512 Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2
    Gigabyte GA-8IG1000 Pro-G, FSB800
    P4 3.2 Processor
    Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 160GB
    ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
    Pioneer DVR108

While encoding or playing games, my PC reboots and sometimes freezes, I then have to keep the case open or take out one of the memory modules and run it in single channel. I think this might be due to the memory speed increasing durring video encoding or playing games. Can someone please tell me how I can stop my PC from rebooting while using these applications in dual channel memory.

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Is your BIOS flashed with its latest firmware yet?

3. Kams

Kams Member

I don't think it is, where can I get the latest firmware for the BIOS?

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You need to find out which motherboard you have, go to their website, this should then tell you what versions are available, and what to do to get the latest update.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Kams, have you set your latency settings in the BIOS for your Corsair RAM? It is important that you do so, with Corsair RAM.

I found your RAM number on Corsair's site. You can find it, here: http://www.corsairmicro.com/corsair/xms.html

Scroll down to the XMS3200. Your latency settings are: 2-3-3-6, if you have an Intel system. They are a bit different, if you have an AMD system.

Having the wrong settings will cause the problems that your are having. You can't let your system automatically assign numbers, with Corsair RAM. They will usually be the wrong settings.

One other thing is that the DDR reference voltage needs to be set to 2.65 volts with Corsair RAM, on an Intel supported motherboard.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2004
  6. Kams

Kams Member

I have flashed the bios which I downloaded from from Gigabyte. I have a Intel system with 865P Chipset/FSB800.

I havn't set the latency for the Corsair RAM or set the DDR Reference Voltage to 2.65 Volts as I don't know how to do that. When I press Del and go into CMOS Set-Up, I get the main menu:
    Standard CMOS Features
    Adanced BIOS Features
    Integrated Peripherals
    Power Management
    PNP/PCI Configerations
    PC health
    Frequency/Voltage Control

Can you please tell me where I need to look as the bios features has all the boot setup,HardDisk/Floopy/CD etc. In the Frequency/Voltage control, it doesn't have words such as Latency settings or DDR Reference Voltage. Can you tell me where can I find these settings please.

Thank You

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

First, when in the BIOS and after you update if needed, go to the Advanced Tab and into JumperFree Configuration. You will see an item labeled AI Overclock Tuner. It should be set to Standard. You need to change that to manual and you will see a bunch of items appear. One of those is the DDR reference voltage. Change the voltage setting from default to 2.65 volts. This is VERY important with Corsair memory. Not as critical with some other brands.
    When done with the voltage, go back to the Advanced Tab and into the Chipset settings. One line should say something like Configure DRAM Timing by SPD. It is set to Enabled. You need to disable that. You will then be able to manually set the “correct” Corsair values (latency settings).
    They are as follows:

CAS – 2
    RAS – 3
    RAS to CAS – 3
    Precharge – 6
    Burst Length – 4

These two sets of changes will allow the system to scream and act the way it should. Most who leave things at default are having crashes and other issue.

I don't know that your settings will be in the same place as mine. Your voltage setting may be in your Voltage/Frequency area in your BIOS.

Be sure to write down the settings that you have now, before you change, just in case the new settings won't let you boot up. If it doesn't boot up, for whatever reason, you just go back into the BIOS and set them to what you had before, or some other configuration.

Since these settings came directly from the Corsair site, they should be good to go. Mine were.

8. Kams

Kams Member

Hi Bruce

I've tried to do what you suggested but I still can't find these settings anywhere in the BIOS/CMOS set-up menue, it's very strange. I can press F8 and go to the Dual BIOS/Q Flush screen but it doesn't have any Chipset settings or the things you mentioned.

On the CMOS/BIOS set-up menue, I have Advanced BIOS features and its got:

Hard Disk Boot
    First Boot Device
    Second Boot Device
    Thrid Boot Device
    Password Check
    CPU Hyper Threading
    Limit CPUID max to 3

Under Frequency/Voltage control, I have

CPU Host Clock Control
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)
    AGP/PCI/SRC Fixed
    Memory frequency for = AUTO (Options:1.33/1.66/2.0)
    Memory frequency (Mhz)= 400
    AGP/PCI/SRC Frequency (Mhz) 66/33/100
    DIMM overvoltage control = Normal (options, +0.1v/+0.2v/
    0.3v)
    AGP Overclocking control = Normal (options, same as above)
    CPU Voltage Control
    Normal CPU core

I'd really like to make these changes you suggested but I can't find them anywhere.

9. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Gigabyte motherboard or the Dual BIOS. Maybe someone who has that same board will stop in and assist you. I do know that the latency and voltage settings for the Corsair RAM is important.

Maybe you should tour Gigabyte's website and see if you can find some information, there. If not, contact them.

I will take a look, later, and see if I can find anything. Sorry that I could not be of more help to you.

10. Kams

Kams Member

Thank you, you have been very healpful. I wasn't aware of the latency and voltage settings, I will get in touch with Gigabyte and see if I can get some more information.

11. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Kams, I looked at the manual on their site Try this:

For the latency settings, go to Frequency/Voltage.
    1. Go down to "Memory Frequency For". Click on it, I think.
    2. Scroll down to the FSB Frequency = 800 MHz. (That is the frequency of your motherboard.)
    3. Then click on the Auto button in front of "Set Memory Frequency By DRAM SPD Data, and set it to disable or manual. It should now show settings which you can change. If it shows what I posted, earlier, then you can set those values. Then save your setting before you exit.

If you don't see what I posted, post back here, with what shows.

Also, under Frequency/Voltage, there is one titled DIMM Overvoltage Control. I don't know if you can set that to manual. If you can, set the voltage to what I said.

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I would recommend you set your BIOS to default settings before you start changing voltages.
    If you want to adjust stuff I would go very carefully to start with. If you set the voltages too high you can crash your PC.

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

If you have to keep your case open then your cooling is not good enough, this too can cause crashes.

14. Kams

Kams Member

I couldn't see the things you mentoned, this is what I get in FREQUENCY/VOLTAGE CONTROL

CPU HOST CLOCK CONTROL [DISABLE]
    *CPU HODT FREQUENCY (mhz) 200
    *AGP/PCI/SRC FIXED 66/33/100

MEMORY FREQUENCY FOR [AUTO]
    (option to set memory frequency by DRAM SPD Data)
    I get the following options other than AUTO
    1.33 = changes the MEMORY FREQUENCY (Mhz) to 266
    1.66 = changes the MEMORY FREQUENCY (Mhz) to 333
    2.00 & AUTO = changes the MEMORY FREQUENCY (Mhz) to 400

AGP/PCI/SRC FREQUENCY (Mhz) 66/33/100
    DIMM OVERVOLTAGE CONTROL [NORMAL]
    I get the following options other than NORMAL
    +0.1V
    +0.2V
    +0.3V
    AGP OVERVOLTAGE CONTROL [NORMAL]
    I get the following options other that NORMAL
    +0.1V
    +0.2V
    +0.3V
    CPU VOLTAGE CONTROL [NORMAL]
    NORMAL CPU CORE 1.3875V

I'm not sure which of these settings would be most appropriate to change.

15. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Kams, I am not sure why it doesn't show the numbers that I posted. Maybe the motherboard does not support changing RAM latency values. I think that there were 3 different places that you have to set the latency values, in your BIOS. Are you cure that you scrolled down to the 800MHz portion on each one?

16. Kams

Kams Member

I found out how to bring up the Latency settings in BIOS by pressing CTRL + F1 and after the BIOS menue got slightly bigger. I looked under Advanced Chipset features and set the DRAM Timing by SPD to manual. The following were available:

CAS Latency Timer = I changed it to 2

Active to Precharge delay = was set to 8 (options to choose numbers as 5,6,7,8,9,10)

DRAM RAS to CAS Delay = I changed it to 3 (options to chosse numbers were 2,3,4

DRAM RAS precharge = changed it to 3 (options were 2,3,4)

Should I change the Active to precharge delay to 6?
    and the numbers will not be in the same order as 2-3-3-6, will it still work?

Also, on the DIMM overvoltage control, I could only see: NORMAL/+0.1V/+0.2V/+0.3V, should I change this to +0.2V? and I still couldn't find a way to change the FSB frequency to 800Mhz

17. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Yes, change the precharge to 6. Don't worry about the 800MHz. I thought that that might be the place where you have to change your latency settings. I am glad that your found the proper place.

I don't know if, in those settings, whether or not you found anything for Burst Length, but if you did, set that to 4. I think that it defaults to that, but not sure, so if you don't find it, don't worry.

Now, as far as the voltage for the DIMM goes, I don't know what the default setting is. I know that it is important that voltage, for the DIMMS, be set to 2.65 volts. What you can do, is try the computer, after you have saved the other settings, and see if it works without you crashing.

If it crashes, then go into that voltage setup, and up the voltage in increments. Meaning, try the +0.1V first, and keep stepping up, if the computer still crashes.

Good luck

18. Kams

Kams Member

I now have changed the Active precharge delay to = 6.

Thank you so much for your help and advice.

19. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You are welcome, but the big question is, did it work? Did the computer boot up ok? Does it crash?

20. Kams

Kams Member

Well, After making the changes, the computer did boot up O.K but I am still having the same problems. The PC just reboots when I use DVD Shrink and even when I used McAfee viros scan. At one point I had a blue screen after it crashed.

I looked in the event log and found the following under Applications
    SOURCE: ESENT
    wuauclt(572)The database engine stoped

Under system, I found the following error message:
    Unable to start DCOM server