1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC running really slow after SP2 Update

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by mowner, Dec 13, 2004.

1. mowner

mowner Guest

hey
    today i installed windows service pack 2 after the install my computer boot was slowed and now i feel my pc has got very slow. before the install the pc were fast and all was great
    can some1 help me plz? thx to ur suggestions!

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

Restart your computer a few times and it might pick up some speed.

If it doesnt, you may have to un-install Service Pack 2.

But before you do that, hit ALT+CTRL+DEL to open up Task Manager then click the Processes Tab, now have a look and see how many processes are running (says down the bottom status bar)

Now click on the CPU title (Image Name, Username, Cpu, Mem Usage) that should bring most usage at present up the top. Is there something thats stuck on 99% or similar or what is using a fair amount.

CJC

3. askyew

askyew Regular member

It is recommended that you do a fresh install before installing sp2. You may have a program that conflicts with it. Be sure you have the latest version of any programs you are running.

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I installed SP2 a fwe months ago, and have not noticed any significant sluggishness. If your computer had a lot of crap on it, its probably best to format and do a fresh install, as suggested above. But for me, SP2 seems to keep XP running, as good as it possible can for one of the worst Windows OS's there is...2K pro is by far the best.