1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Screen flickers during normal operation

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by skidme, Feb 2, 2007.

1. skidme

skidme Guest

Hopefully you guys (or girls) can help me. I came home one day to find that my PC was malfunctioning. It starts up fine, but after a few minutes of use (browsing, etc...), the screen starts literally turning on and off. Intermittently, I can see the desktop, and it looks very badly "drawn". Oddly enough, none of this happens when I am playing Oblivion, even for periods of time as extended as 15 minutes. What are the chances of this being a video card problem? Any advice is appreciated...

2. pimp_k

pimp_k Member

I have the same problem. I'm not exactly sure if it's the same thing. Have you updated your video card driver lately? I have, and I think that may be the issue. What kind of video card are you using?

3. skidme

skidme Guest

I actually hadn't updated the drivers for my video card in a while. I just came home one day to find this problem, completely out of nowhere. I have ordered an 8800 GTS, and should be receiving it tomorrow. Will post back here if it fixes the problem...

P.S.

My current video card, the one malfunctioning, is the 7800 GT

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2007
  4. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

Do you have two or more computers hooked up to a KVM switch? The reason is that if you have two (or more) machines hooked up to a KVM switch and the screen flickers, it is simply the monitor adjusting the settings for the video card in each computer. This can happen if one computer uses an ATI video card and the other uses an nVidia card.

5. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

ALSO, you might wanna check to make sure that the refresh rate of the video card, computer and monitor are all in synch.