1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc shuts down just after reaching desktop.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Ddams, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Ddams

Ddams Member

Hello all,

My friends pc boots up to a desktop and then it hungs ie. icons do not open and eventually it shuts down. He is having 80gb and is now left with 2gb free space. he says he has seen what he thinks is a virus called "BRONTOOK when it pops up it shows as if the PC is searching the net (its green in color) He has tried anti virus but failed" The pc has never been connected to the internet.

How can I help him?

2. irongiant

irongiant Regular member

Best thing to do when booting up hit F8 key to boot the computer on save mode and run the virus scan, if he never been connected to the internet to get any viruses then your boot registry might have got corrupted some how. worse case scenerio he might have to re-install windows.

3. Ddams

Ddams Member

Thanks,

is possibleto reinstal windows without losing any data eg using the repare option. I wonder also whether using the restore function can help. How does he go about restore. I note that he has alredy tried virus scan.

more clarification.

4. Ddams

Ddams Member

5. irongiant

irongiant Regular member

well to run windows restore you have to do the same, boot windows on safe mode, and run windows restore from there, just gotta make sure to choose a restore before he started having the problems, but like i mention worse case scenerio, he gonna have to re-install windows.

6. 3lement

3lement Regular member

If you have genuine windows then you can just put in the disc press f8 on the black bios screen and let it boot up then click system restore. (not the whole system restore just to a previous state.)If not then id just do a full system restore.