1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC shuts down when encoding

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by BTJunkie, Apr 19, 2007.

1. BTJunkie

BTJunkie Guest

I have encoded avi files to vcd or dvd format for some time successfuly on this pc with little or no problem. This past week or so though everytime i try encoding a movie using numerus different encoders and even different movies....The process starts off fine then 5-10 minutes into the encoding operation the pc with no warning (no blue screen...nothing) just shuts down. This morning i was using virtualdub to add subtitles to a film and used frame server to encode with TMPGenc 2.5 The task went well for ten minutes and then the pc just closed down.

Yesterday i was using Covertxtodvd to convert an divx avi file to dvd and the same thing happened. I have enough room on my hardrive so no problem there, and as i say my machine's cpu has coped well enough in the past with the task....anyone any idea what is happening here. Any thoughts appreciated as i am well and truly stumped.

2. BTJunkie

BTJunkie Guest

No one has any ideas about what could be causing this?

3. attar

attar Senior member

4. BTJunkie

BTJunkie Guest

Thank you for the response Attar. I downloaded the program and my cpu temp was 59. I tried encoding and five minutes into the task the cpu temp had reached 84 at that point the pc stopped completely, similar to i explained in my earlier post. I have no clue what temp should be expected when encoding so not really sure if 84 is too high or not? Have you any idea.....It looks though as if this may well be the problem, if it is, is there much involved in taking the sides off and cleaning? I havent ventured inside the case before. Thanks for your input thus far. BTJunkie

5. attar

attar Senior member

That's 84F or 84C?

http://www.technibble.com/what-is-my-computers-maximum-cpu-temperature/

Decide what you think the temp should be and if you wish to proceed, do the following.

First thing is to shut down/ power off/ unplug everything.
    Look at the top back for obvious screws.
    Many PC's now have the top secured by large head finger screws at the back of the box.
    After they are removed the top can be shoved back with your hand applying force down on and towards the back.
    Do not be afraid to apply the elbow grease.You cannot harm anything at this stage.
    After the top is off the sides lift off by pulling up on them.

Connect the cables back up and apply the power.
    Retest by running VDUB or any high usage app.
    If the problem is eased by simply removing the sides, then I would think that it is simply an air circulation problem.

If the temp problem persists with the sides off you have to decided how far you wish to test the components (probably the CPU fan to begin).
    Don't poke around the box if you are not mechanically/elecronic inclined.
    Let a geeky teen type check it for you.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  6. BTJunkie

BTJunkie Guest

That's 84c attar. It runs at around 54c - 65c normally. Only when i encode with any of my encoding software does it rocket to 84c - 86c. Would those kind of temps be enough to cause the pc to close down in this way do you think? I have no clue as to what temp a cpu should take or if indeed reaching a high temp causes a pc to close like this. I have been encoding movies using the same software for the best part of a year on this pc with no problems at all until now.

BTJunkie

7. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

those temps are too high even at idle as should be in the 30's or even into the 40's at idle. what is happening is when you hit that high temps, the cpu does a thermal shut down to prevent burning out the cpu. what is the make & speed of the cpu? how dirty/dusty is the cpu heatsink/fan assembly?

8. BTJunkie

BTJunkie Guest

ffg7 thanks for the input here....This is the name of the cpu and the speed. ACPI GENUINEINTEL _-_ X86_FAMILY_15_MODEL_15_MODEL_4/_0

3.20 Ghz

I wont have time to check inside to see the exstent of the dust/dirt on the fan until tomorrow, but the pc is only just over a year old.

BTJunkie

9. attar

attar Senior member

Agree with BTJunkie.Is that cpu fan even running?Is the cat's tail caught in it?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  10. BTJunkie

BTJunkie Guest

ffg7 I took a look inside this morning and the cpu heatsink/fan assembly was clogged with dust, fluff and grime....cleaned it up and also made sure all the vents on the pc outer casing were also clean. It looks so far at least like problem solved. I am encoding using virtualdub as frameserver to TMPGenc 2.5 and am 18 minutes into the task with 23 minutes left to go....(with the problem i never got past 5 mins before the shut down)

My temp readings now are as follows:

Mainboard = 29%c
    CPU1= 52%c
    Temp3= 45%c
    CPU1 = 2678 rpm (Fan speed)
    HDD1 = 34%c

Thanks to yourself and attar for pointing the way....Very much appreciated!

BTJunkie

11. BTJunkie

BTJunkie Guest

Everything else but the cats tail attar......my grandsons pet hamster went missing a week or so ago...I did notice some hair and red staining when i was cleaning that fan area.....hmmmm?

Thanks for the assistance....You guys do a great service here.

BTJunkie

12. attar

attar Senior member

@ffg7
    Of course I meant to say I agreed with you as to the cause.

13. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

no problem