1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC shutting down!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by spoony008, Jul 9, 2006.

1. spoony008

spoony008 Member

Hi. I will be using my PC and it will just randomly shut down for no apparent reason. Once it has shut it’s self down you cant just turn in back on with the power button on the case you have to turn it off at the mains first and wait for a couple of seconds then turn it back on. Once when I was on the net a message very quickly flashed on the screen saying my computer will be shut down and to save my work then the power just cut off but the light on the case stays on. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. gogochar

gogochar Guest

Sounds like you have a virus.

3. pyffy

pyffy Regular member

Two things I would check.
    1) make sure all your antivirus defs are up to date and run a full system scan. This will rule out the virus question. If you have any doubts get yourself HiJackThis http://www.download.com/HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html
    and post a request over at the virus and spyware forum along with your HJT log. One of the experts there will be able to advise you , just remember to ask nicely they really are good blokes and will help all they can.

2) make sure that there are no heat issues with your pc. A hot system can really play havoc and generate many random restarts. Check your temps in the Bios to make sure.

4. dejahboi

dejahboi Regular member

if non of the solutions work for you stated above this message, i suggest you reformat your computer

5. spoony008

spoony008 Member

No viruses and no heat issues I have also tried re-formatting. I think it is more of a hardware problem than a software problem.

6. mJoshua83

mJoshua83 Member

Yeah try checking your heat sink. I had an issue like that once my laptop would be on for like 10 min to 30 min to an hour I took the laptop up to my pop's work and a computer enginer cracked it open and I had a few issues but the one that was the main thing was that my Heat sink came un-welded from the motherboard. We just J-B welded it back on and works like new.

7. pyffy

pyffy Regular member

spoony, have you access to another power supply? maybe another pc you could borrow it out of? May be worth investigating and ruling that out.

8. spoony008

spoony008 Member

I checked the heatsink and it is fine. I was thinking of changing the PSU but I dont have one to change it with.

9. pyffy

pyffy Regular member

They are quite a cheap investment and i always have a spare in my "toy box". Depending where you are located you will find some good deals on line. I use ebuyer.com as I'm in the uk, they have some good own branded PSU's at a good price and reasonably quick delivery.

10. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

i have this exact problem but only when playing halo,
    when the computer goes through a little bit of stress when OLNY playing halo my computer shuts down automaticly its VERY anoying!!

I have reformated my computer a few times since last playing halo and i installed halo after a few months and the same problem again!!!

11. spoony008

spoony008 Member

Yeah I use ebuyer aswell, I think I'll try a new PSU and see how that goes.

12. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@ yamumma,

your problem sounds like the CPU is overheating thus making the computer shutdown, u could try and clean all the dust out of ur PC to see if that helps, i had i similiar prob when i was using DVD shrink and after i cleaned all the dust out my PC didn't shut down anymore

SpeedFan is a free program that moniters the speed of fans and the temp of ur PC check it out

13. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

Hi, 300bowler
    I opened my computer for the first time to upgrade a new dvd drive and while i was at it i clean all the dust off.
    but still same problem!

14. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

i have no idea but will a new power supply help?

15. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

ok i got the temperture report from EVEREST Home Edition (c) 2003-2005 Lavalys, Inc.
    Temperatures:
    Motherboard 30 °C (86 °F)
    CPU 51 °C (124 °F)
    Aux 34 °C (93 °F)
    Maxtor 6Y160L0 25 °C (77 °F)

Also what does overclock mean???

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  16. wcampbell

wcampbell Member

check the jumper pin on your hard drive.if you play around with your machine alot like i do, it maybe loose..change it, put on a new jumper on.

17. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

i have not removed or touched the jumper pin for the harddrive or anything eles since i bought it from the shop. i only swaped my old dvd drive for a new one.

18. wcampbell

wcampbell Member

change it anyway,it's a very small item that can cause all sorts of big wierd things to happen.

19. dsgtrain

dsgtrain Regular member

yamumma:

51c! Could be a heat issue. You have not overclocked (made the CPU run faster than it was designed to go) so maybe try replacing the Thermal Compound especially if you have had the computer over a year.

There is a good guide on how to do that here that will give you a rough idea on how to do it (even though its about relpacing a CPU it still tells you what to do with the Thermal Compound). http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cpu.htm

Dave

20. yamumma

yamumma Regular member

is haveing overclocked a risk or a problem, if not
    how can i overclock?