1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Silent Hill 4 game freezes at start

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by burner413, Nov 14, 2004.

1. burner413

burner413 Regular member

hey
    i have read all the posts on previous Silent Hill issues, so please dont tell me togo read them.
    I have a Sony Vaio notebook with a RadeonIGP 345M
    64MB memory video card which shud be able to run the game, but it isnt. so i have ot run it with 3d-analyzer. i can start the game fine, i see the opening credits saying Konami and the i can go to the menu and start a new game. here is where my problem is happening. once i watch the beggining "then 5 days ago he had a dream. Now he cant leave his appartment", and then the comuter screen turns white and freezes. does anyoner have help with this?
    thanks for any help

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Alas, Silent Hill 4 is SecuROM protected. I assume that you're not playing it by using the original disc (or a perfect 1:1 backup copy) and when the game checks it and finds you're not using the original disc, it locks.
    Never heard about protected PC games?

3. burner413

burner413 Regular member

yes ive heard of protected pc games
    but no it isnt the original
    it is a back up from the original that im trying to get to work
    do u have any suggestions on what i can do?

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@burner413

Let's have a look at the forum rules. I've already warned you about posting email addies and now you've multiposted this question over three forums. Let's keep things ship shape alrighty?

5. burner413

burner413 Regular member

sorry dude
    but if u or anyone else would actually help instead of just telling me what not to do then i wouldnt have to multi post.
    i dont mean to get upset but its just frustrating when no1 helps at all
    does my problem have somethin to do with "SecuROM"?

6. Nephilim

Nobody made you multipost. We have simple rules here to keep things organized. You can't rightly say that nobody helps because the first response in this thread was aldaco12 giving you some good information and I helped you in another thread sorting out an issue regarding your video card memory.

From the sound of it you're using a non-working backup so my best advice would be to use something like Alcohol 120%, BlindWrite or CloneCD to make an image of the disc on your hard drive then try to mount the image with Daemon Tools and try to play from that.

7. burner413

burner413 Regular member

ive been thinkin......if my problem has to do with secuROM, could i have even got as far as i did (past the title menu)?
    most people say that securom keeps u form burning the discs but that isnt my problem
    please keep helping everybody

8. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No, SecuROM prevents you from burning WORKING discs. You can burn lot of 'coasters' with Nero, EasyCD or CDRWin, for example.
    With good burners, good readers and a good application (like the ones we suggested you already) one can backup 'almost' everything.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  9. burner413

burner413 Regular member

well i think the copies work cuz i can get past the menu screen. could the problem be that my graphics card isnt good enough, and the game just realizes taht when i try to play the game? i dont have a clue where to go from here!!!!!!!!! does anyone know where to get a driver for my RadeonIGP 345M, i tried to get it from ati but it isnt there
    also i scanned the disc and its protected with SecuROM *new* version 5.03.06
    WHAT DO I DO NOW????????????????

10. Nephilim

If you're still trying to run this on your notebook drivers aren't going to make up for the shared memory that you're graphics card uses.

11. burner413

burner413 Regular member

so is the dedicated/shared memory thing without a doubt my problem?

12. Nephilim

In all probability, yes. Have you tried running the game using your copy on another machine that uses a video card with it's own dedicated memory?

13. burner413

burner413 Regular member

no i havent, i will asap
    is there anything else anyone can think of that may be the problem?