1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC slow after msconfig tweak

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Wyattspop, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I have a Win7 Gateway desktop, it was very sluggish so I shut off some startups to begin troubleshooting, now its barely responding to usb keyboard or wireless mouse taps. Under utilities the pc usage % is from 0-4%! Any suggestions? Please tell me what startups are essential. Thank you PS The mouse pointer moves fine but wont open anythinv

2. aldan

aldan Active member

i only have my antivirus and my logitech mouse software at startup.can you post a screenshot of your startups in task manager?

3. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

You have helped me before, so thank you. I disconnected everything, powered down and opened the case. I then pulled the CMOS battery, put it back, pulled the memory card and returned it, then noticed the internal fan was 90% blocked by dust bunnies (I mean impacted!), cleaned it out, restarted and it's running much better. One concern is my PC is whisper-quiet, I don't hear anything running, is that normal or am I just used to my older Windows PC's where you hear the fans, the drive spinning up? It's dead quiet (this is a Gateway Win 7 desktop). I noticed my new gaming laptop makes no sound so are newer PC's supposed to be silent?

4. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I must also confess I use nefarious P2P sites to watch movies etc and I doubt my AV is up to date either. Ever notice your PC help folks are like Catholic Priests? You have to confess your sins or they can't help you LOL

5. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Update, now I'm not able to click inside my search bar to go to websites

6. aldan

aldan Active member

run a couple of malware scans to be sure.run malwarebytes and let it delete what it finds.have you tried a system restore to before all this happened?another thing to try is to enable all the startup programs you disabled and then disable them one at a time until you find the problem program.also post that screenshot of startup programs just in case.

7. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

You were dead on, I ran about 6 AV, MBAM and spyware proggies and found I was riddled with them. Once cleaned up, I'm back up and running again, thank you

8. aldan

aldan Active member

good you got it sorted out.

9. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I do have another issue if you would, when I open a browser, my search box is greyed out, and when I use the back-browser tab, a new tab opens up? Any help would be much appreciated

10. aldan

aldan Active member

what browser is it?you could try to reset your browser.

11. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Yep, that did it. Aldan, can you tell me how to work on a PC when you can't get into Windows to even begin addressing issues (I'm guessing it was virus-riddled). It's a Gateway Win 7, my boy would surf his Youtube vids and click on any link that popped up. Thank you

12. aldan

aldan Active member

if you cant get in even in safemode then wipe it and reinstall is your option.

13. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Can you tell me my first step if I can get into safe mode or the BIOS screen? Thank you

14. aldan

aldan Active member

if it is indeed malware bios wont help you.you would have to run malwarescans in safemode.to really get rid of whatever it is we first want to know its name.is there a reason you dont wanna wipe and reinstall?

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

When you try to get back into Windows, what message are you receiving at the point where it fails?