1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc slowing down when playing a vid HELP

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Fonzie684, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Fonzie684

Fonzie684 Member

Hi there everyone!

I have a bit of a strange problem:
    Whenever i try to play a video file (AVI,MPG etc) my PC slows down to a terrible pace. The task manager reports a CPU usage of 100% and until I end the task thats trying to run the vid the whole of my system is like a 80486 running Windows XP :)

any suggestions?

Fonzie

2. tuxbox

tuxbox Regular member

when your playing video are you running any other tasks?? because that could be the problem.

may the Fonz be with you.

3. Fonzie684

Fonzie684 Member

Nope no other tasks than normal system tasks, and the slowing down is REALLY annoying. Plus the vid doesn't show at all!

Fonzie

4. Corypolo

Corypolo Member

If I didn't know any better (and I don't), I'd suspect an issue/conflict with codecs loading; and I'm only assuming you're using Windows Media Player to play back content. Final guess: you're likely trying to play back videos downloaded from the internet.

I'd suggest trying VLC Player; it's prepackaged with a host of codecs.

Ideally, that should resolve both the conflict and the no-video problem, but it won't fix WMP (that is, if you're using it).

5. Fonzie684

Fonzie684 Member

Ok guys I got a solution from somewhere else. I just needed to install my AGP drivers for the MB and all is well again!!