1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC speed

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by macedonia, Apr 3, 2005.

1. macedonia

macedonia Member

Hi there,
    I want to know how I can speed up my converting of a mpeg 2 file to a DVD file. I capture 3 hrs of video using mpeg2 (dvd settings + filtering in studio 9.3 and it takes like 9hrs on my PIV 2.4 , 730 meg ram.
    I am using a canopus adv55 to convert the vhs to firewire on my pc.
    Is it taking along time cause of studio 9.3 ???

plz advise

PS. the PC is a dell GX260 and i don't what to go to a MAC :)

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes your Problem is you are useing Pretty Crappy software... (Well in my opinion Pinnacle Studio 9 Just sucks)

Pinnacles Mpeg-2 encodeing is Super slow and it isn"t Very Good Quality encodeing either....

Also if you want to Capture the best Quality you should NOT be captureing to Mpeg-2 because For one thing Pinnacled Mpeg-2 Capture quality isn"t very good and if you are also Filtering and editing after capture then Pinnacle will Re-Encode the Video which will Lower the quality More than the Filtering Improoves the Quality Pluss your ADVC-50 uses Hardware DV Compression so Captureing directly to Mpeg-2 totally defeates the Purpose of Haveing a Hardware DV Encoder....

What I suggest is you use something like WinDV or DVIO to Capture your Video in it"s Native DV AVI format and then use an encoder Like Tmpgenc Xpress or Procoder eXpress and do any filtering while encodeing to Mpeg-2/DVD...Then after encodeing use a DVD authoring program Like "Tmpgenc DVD author" or "DVDLab" to Author the Mpeg-2 files to DVD with Menu"s and Chapters...
    If you Load this Mpeg-2 file into Pinnacle Studio 9 to author it to DVD then It will probably re-encode the File which will just ruin the Quality and waste a Lot of Time....

On my System I can encode a 2 hour AVI to Mpeg-2/DVD in about 60 to 90 minutes when useing an encoder Like CCE SP or MainConcept encoder or about 2 to 2.5 hours when useing Tmpgenc Xpress....

Also Pinnacle Studio 9 only supports one of the Four DVD Standards so you are allways stuck useing the "Full D1 720+480/576" Format which will not look very good if you are trying to put 3+ hours on a single DVD because the Bitrate needed to put 3+ hours of Video on a single DVD would be too low to Achieve the best quality especially from a VHS capture....

Cheers

3. macedonia

macedonia Member

cool i will give it a go. But I will try virtualdub to caputre in avi

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

You won"t be able to use Virtual-Dub to capture from your ADVC-50, well not in it"s Native DV AVI format..

Try a freeware DV Capture program Like "WinDV" or "DVIO" as these programs are meant to capture from devices Like your ADVC-50 and DV Camcorders...

Cheers

5. wutflip

wutflip Member

The whole native AVI thing, this goes with using those programs for ADVC-110 right? I just bought this and it should be arriving tomorrow, at least that's what Harmony website said.

6. macedonia

macedonia Member

ok the ADVC 1110 is not a capture device it just converth the anoluge singal to digital and vise versa. with it u can connect a video player to it and from the unit , it goes to a firewire on ya pc.
    depending on the s/w u are using you can grab the video in DV AVI or mpeg 2 or anything.
    hope this clears it up for u

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

If you use a Device Like an ADVC-50/100/110/300 ect and use it to Capture do Mpeg-2 useing sofwate Capture Programs You are Totally Defeating the Purpose of Haveing a Hardware DV Encoderand the Quality is Going going be a "LOT" Lowewr than if you captured to DV AVI and then Encoded to Mpeg2 useing a Good Quality mpeg encoder...

8. wutflip

wutflip Member

So WinDV is the program to use right? I've been using it all day, and I'm about to start bring VHS tapes to the computer. So this is the program to use to get the best AVI correct? I don't plan on capturing in MPEG-2 from what I've read at these forums. But I do plan on encoding the AVI to it with TMPEG and then putting it on DVD. Do I have those steps right so far?

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

When Captureing in your ADVC-50"s Native DV AVI format it doesn"t matter what software you use to capture with quality wize because all the Software does is Transfer the Video Compressed By your ADVC-50 to your Hard Drive so the Software has very Little or no effect on the Quality...

So the quality should be the best Possible Quality your Capture device can produce....

To retain as much of the Quality on your DVD you should use a Good Quality encoder Like Tmpgenc....

So yes you are on the Right Track....

Cheers

10. rudi2707

rudi2707 Member

Hi, I put this one on PC speed topic as I did not want to start new thread for 1 question.
    While checking for video capturing from my analogue video recorder and camescope on an old PC (it still suits me till now...and no special desire to have a new one now!) PIII, 600MHZ, 256RAM
    I found after some hours, and before finding your site:
    - Graphics DVD Go Plus (www.graphics-france.com)
    - Hercules Video action
    - Hauppauge Win TV PVR 350
    that might fit.

Of course I want to do some authoring as well, but only for family stuff; nothing professional.

Would you suspect any problems with one of these cards?
    Any of the 3 more recommandable?
    Any other cards or external devices that would fit?

Txs

11. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Get the Hauppauge. It's by far the best of the choices you give.

12. rudi2707

rudi2707 Member

great! I did nit find any counter indication anywhere. And I liked it as it gives access to the TV also (my Tv next to PC is the oldest of the 3 and will collapse any day also)

Do you know the french graphics?

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

Your PC isn"t fast enough to Run even the "Hauppague Win TV PVR 150" so you will probably have to upgrade your PC first...

I just checked with the Hauppague Web site and they say that you need at least a 733mhz P-3 so I think you might have problems...

If you Look on E-Bay you can Find a P-3 CPU at about 800mhz to 1.0ghz for about $20 but if you seriously want to be able to capture and edit and author these Captured Files to DVD you should consider Spending the $100 and get a New Motherboard/CPU at about 2.0ghz because you will have Problems with your 600mhz System as it isn"t fast enough to run most Editing and DVD authoring Programs much less the Capture hardware you want....

Cheers

14. rudi2707

rudi2707 Member

yeh :-(
    txs...
    my check was on:
    http://www.cdiscount.com/mag/fich_p...000000000000004JSM&navid=107012307&noretour=1
    Configuration minimale• Un PC avec processeur 500MHz minimum
    Probably that the french 500MHz is faster that they think ;-)

I have however an arithmetic co-processor (was a very reformant PC but 4-5 years ago, when I bought it...), could that help to close the gap in speed?

My son in law has a Matrox 3XXX (?) on his PIII 800MHz and it works ok... even if it is slow, and I don't mind too much speed anymore... but for sure compatibility...

Issue with new motherboard is also potential incompatiblity with the rest of the archeological artefact?

Graphics in France
    http://www.graphics-france.com/materiel/dvdgoplus/goplus2.htm
    » Pentium III 500 MHz, 64 Mo de mémoire vive
    » Effets temps réel à partir d’un Pentium 4, 2 Ghz et 512 Mo.
    has less requirements... and I don't care real-time effects (can always task my son in law if needed???? hope he doesn't read it here ...)

What u think about this second choice, without TV then (that's less critical though)?

txs