1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC start up issue.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Greg3, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Greg3

Greg3 Member

I have a HP Pavillion P7-1020 that just started to act up a little. This has only been for about a week now. In the MORNING ONLY, I have to push the power button twice. The first time I push it the light turns on then off almost immediatly. I push it again and the PC boots up like it should. Over the past few weeks, I have inserted a Blue Ray writer and then changed the cable from VGA to DVI-I to the monitor. That is when it appeared to start the issue. It does not seem possible that the DVI cable would cause this unless the software on the onboard PC changed. About 4 months ago, I added an additional USB card to give me more slots. had no issues after that. Its only been recently after the Blue Ray. Just wondering where I should start first. Is is a cmos battery going bad. Is it not enough power from the PSU or am I starting with a new issued.
    Looking forward to seeing responses. Because its a morning issue only, this may take a while to solve if I have to start disconnecting things. That is why I want you opinion on a place to start.

Greg

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

reconnect all power cables to motherboard. reseat all cards & ram. if cmos battery was going bad, you'll see the time is wrong then the date but battery is not causing this problem. check the silver top cans on the motherboard which are capacitors that they are not domed nor leaking brown stuff.

3. Greg3

Greg3 Member

I will try all that and th ebattery is what I thought as well. Here is one. This morning when I started it, I saw on the monitor something about an ERROR about the CPU Fan failed or failed to start.

4. Greg3

Greg3 Member

Here is what I did this afternoon. Since I saw the fan error, I thought the fan would be dirty. Unplugged the power chord and opened the case. Not as dirty as I thought it may be but vacuumed and compressed air everything inside. Took out hte memory and cleaned the slots. Took off the CPU fan and blew it out. Blew out out the PSU and everything I could get to. Plugged it in andwatched fan. It spun as normal and now sighns of bad bearings. Maybe just dust. I will post back tomorrow and let you know what I find. Again being a morning issue, it could be starting normally becaue it is the afternoon and has been started already.

5. Greg3

Greg3 Member

In additon to cleaning out a not so drty box but fan blades dusty, I also looked into my bios. HP says I can do a hardware monitor on my cpu fan but not able to find it in th bios. But going there I did find that a few months after the bios I had in my PC there was an update. Low and behold, there was something about adjustinghte CPU Fan curve. not sure what that means but it sounds like they had a fan speed issue. I updated bios to the newest 6.07. I wish I could see the CPU fan in the bios, not even the new one, has it but I will let you know what happens in the morning.
    So far I,
    1. asked for help on Afterdawn
    2. cleaned the case insaid and out
    3. blew all the dust out of the box including the cpu fan, heat sink, PSU and all slots
    4. updated bios
    5. crossed fingers and legs

6. Greg3

Greg3 Member

For what its worth. One button push start thsi morning. I know its only one morning but its the direction I wanted. So after everythiing I have done inside the box it appears to have solved the issue. I will post back in a few days to let everyone know if this really did solve it.

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ok.

8. Greg3

Greg3 Member

It appears to be fixed. I have booted 3 morings now and it has booted strsight thru. I did not boot the 4th moring because PC was on all night. I hope this helps. I will edit later if the issue reoccurs.