1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc stuck on "acquiring ip address"

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by atghawkin, Jan 31, 2012.

1. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

Hi all, my pc (windows xp) was running slow so i decided to uninstall a few programs ,i did something i obviously shouldn't have and now when i start up i can't connect to the internet,at the bottom right hand of the task bar the pc symbol has a yellow arrow continuously moving and it reads :local area connection -acquiring network address. I have tried a system restore but it won't go back to any date and i tried start/run ipconfig renew but a window comes up for a split second so can't read anything!when i try to run help and support it can't and all other programs can't access or update ,is their something i need to install that i uninstalled?.I have a wired connection to my router and my sons ps3 connects ok and wireless is ok too, any help would be great, cheers !

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  2. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

check in device manager in control panel then system, network drivers may not be installed you may also type( ping 127.0.0.1 )in command just to see if you get responce from network card if your drivers are instaled and you get responce you know that its not your network card

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  3. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

thanks for reply smoggie,I've been using a laptop so only getting back to this now!.I tried what you advised but no joy,I have no ip address or subnet mask they both read 0.0.0.0 can i fill in new ones somewhere? (hope yur reply is quicker than mine :p

4. aldan

aldan Active member

have you tried unplugging your modem for 30sec and then plugging it back in?

5. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

I'll try that first thing in the morning ,thanks!

6. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

Aldan ,
    Tried unplugging the modem for 30sec and then plugging it back in but no joy i think its a bit more serious than that i have a ps3 wired connection and the laptop has no probs either (but i cant print a doc. with the wireless connection get error: active directory domain service unavailable ) also the task bar on the bottom of the pc screen has gone from the xp blue to the old grey ! also when i start up and press f8 for windows advanced options menu i can't use the directional arrows to go to 'safe mode' or "last known good configuration" i cant even press the enter button to "start windows normally"! have to hold the power button in and start again

7. smoggie66

smoggie66 Regular member

try reinstalling xp and install the chipset and any other drivers, think your xp is corrupt or u have hardware issues you could also try reseting cmos and if that fails u could try buying a cheap network card . by the way did you ping your network card in command like i said and did you get reply from it ?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  8. aldan

aldan Active member

after looking at the first post i am inclined to agree.sounds like he erased a needed file.could always try to do a repair install so as not to lose everything.personally ive never had a repair work for me.just my luck i suppose.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Set IP to auto same goes for dns server or try system restore

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i think system restore unless that got turned off for some reason.

11. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

thanks all for the advice!
    smoggie: i did try to ping 127.0.0.1 but no joy there ,also system restore wont work ,i am currently backing up the comp and trying the original drivers, only found the discs so will try later.
    scorpz: how do i set ip and dns to auto? is it in services?
    aldan:how do i do a repair install? ok i did a quick google (19 steps :( ) if i do this will i go from service pack 3 to 1?

i'll try reinstalling drivers for now see what happens!

cheers!!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  12. aldan

aldan Active member

yeah you would have to reinstall sp3.save the reinstall as a last measure.both ddp and scorpnz had good ideas to try.

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

i'm not on xp however from memory
    1-control panel
    2-internet connections =you want to be looking at the ethernet icon where if you right clik you can enable ir disable
    3-i think left click on icon to get window up
    4-in box with different stuff scroll down to IP4 left click on it
    5-below that list is 3 buttons on main menu clik properties
    6-set ip & dns to auto
    7-apply
    8-close window
    9-that's it if you enable ethernet if it's not already it should attempt to contact server for a connection

edit:SP3 can be downloaded as an iso then burn to cd
    i personally if you have no luck is forgo the repair & to do a reformat as this is the perfect time to use easeus todo backup to create a series of "system snapshot" basicly automatically creates a backup of C contents,what this means is you NEVER have to do a reformat ever again whether due to virus,deleted wrong thing etc,etc

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  14. atghawkin

atghawkin Regular member

thanks for all your help ppl, in the end i re installed ,all ok now!! cheers

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You now need to download easeus todo backup it's free & start making system backups