1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Theater Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by vert123, Jan 25, 2005.

1. vert123

vert123 Member

Ok.. i will start with the specs

XP media center
    Logitech z-680s
    Audigy 2 ZS Platinum

Right now I am connected with the standard Analog cables. The system sounds great the Logitech 680s really sound good.

First question : I read a lot of you talking about a receiver “Denon” Does this hook up with a PC? Right now my speakers are connected to the back of my sub? If I were to get a receiver like the denon would they connect ? Also how much better can I make my system sound?

Also.. with what I have what would sound better and by how much better Monster THX Analog cables or a Digital connection?

2. iceparrot

iceparrot Member

A reciever (whether it be Denon or some other brand) serves a couple of purposes:

1) It allows audio/video switch between different sources, such as a HTPC and a DVD players etc.

2) It has a amplifier in it to run unpowered speakers

3) It often has DD/DTS decoders built in

There are lots of other things they will do, but that's a basic idea.

Usually HTPCs are hooked up to a receiver via the optical out that is on your soundcard. This will either pass the normal audio (stereo) from your computer, or if watching a DVD/Divx w/ DD sound, pass the raw AC3 stream to the receiver for it to decode.

All this bascially will turn your HTPC from a computer type system into a big livingroom theatre type system.
    There really is no comparison between a good receiver amplifier and the little amplifier that is on a computer sound card. If you buy quality components, it can sound awesome!

Of course, you pay for the quality. Base model Denon receivers start around 300-400 bucks and go up to 5k. You also would need to buy speakers, which are usually 100s of dollars each for fronts, center channel, and sub, but cheaper for the rears.

P.S. It quickly can become a slippery slope, because there is just so much to buy and... well.. good home theatre equipment is damn cool! ;)