1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC to HDTV issues...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by geminibro, Jan 31, 2007.

1. geminibro

geminibro Member

Hi all... this seems to be a popular topic in this forum. I'm sorry to bug you all with another one, but I can't seem to wrap my head around how all of this hi-def stuff. Here goes:

I have a Toshiba 32" LCD TV (32HLC56) that I want to connect to my PC via my video card's DVI port. I know native resolutions are in some way an important piece of info; the native res for my TV is 1366x768. I currently have an ATI Radeon X300, though I'm upgrading within the week to another ATI card, the X1950XT. I figure that since they're both ATI and they both have DVI interfaces, any settings I adjust now will be ready and waiting when I install the new card.

Anyway, here's the problem. I run my DVI-to-HDMI cable from the PC to the TV. I've messed around with Catalyst Control Center and gotten the TV to display an image using the "720p60 Optimized (1152x648 @ 60 Hz" setting in the Digital Panal Properties section. The problem is that everything seems too big and blocky now, and some of the text is difficult to read. The image just isn't as sharp as I would've thought it would be. Unlike my VGA cable, using the DVI-to-HDMI allows the picture to fill the entire screen. But when I try to set the TV to something close to its native resolution, the image produced looks terrible - very glitchy and flickery (is that a word?). Forgive my ignorance... I've tried looking at FAQs on this subject, but I can seem to figure it all out. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

2. elliott

elliott Regular member

first let me tell you when you upgrade the video card most likely you will have to install new drivers so the settings most likely won't stay. I have my laptop hooked up to my hdtv and it looks good even though its set to 1024x768 now in my office I have an hdtv set up to my pc at 1280x720 i think it might be 768 and it looks great. As far as the video quality that has alot to do with the overall compatibility of the tv and video card but the text just doesn't get better and I will admit when I watch video on either of these setups it looks awesome but when I want to use it as a monitor it sux. Maybe someone else will have something to add my laptop is ati and my desktop is nvidia geforce 7600 512agp with dvi to composite video setup