1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC to PC File TRansfer

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rjessa, Feb 8, 2007.

1. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

I have desktop PC and have just purchased a laptop. I have lots of files and programs i wish to transfer from one to the other. I purchased a cross-over Ethernet cable, now what? I tried but with no luck. is anyone familiar with the steps I need to take to do the transfer? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. J0hnnyga

J0hnnyga Regular member

im not positive , but i think all you need to do is share the folder(s) in which you have the setups for the programs and then you can access them from the laptop in my network places.

3. clay7676

clay7676 Regular member

yeah, all you need to do is go to network connections then goto network setup wizard it should work.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if the programs are already installed on the desktop pc than can't copy them to laptop as program files are spread thru out windows & registry. do a fresh install of those programs & just copy the data files over.

5. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

From what i understand, you are right DDP program files cannot be transfered due to registry issues, but what about data files. If there is anyway you can possibly help in giving me steps on how I go about doing this, would be greatly appreciated.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what windows are you using on both, do you have an usb memory stick & if so what size?

7. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

My desktop runs on Millenium (Yes Mellenium), laptop runs XP Media. ISo far i only have a Ethernet Crossover cable.