1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC to TV Monitor

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by truth721, Nov 28, 2006.

1. truth721

truth721 Regular member

couldn't you use a tv tuner to hook up dvd player to your computer and use the monitor, iono i've never seen a monitor hooked up to a dvd player, or i think i have

2. raceman94

raceman94 Regular member

You're probably right. I've given up on it. I think I need an external tuner of some sorts, but I'm not worried about it anymore. I just hooked up the monitor to the PC and I'll watch DVDs there.

3. legend999

legend999 Regular member

I have an S-Video built-in in mu graphics card,i just need to connect the s-video cable to the tv and the image will show?

4. truth721

truth721 Regular member

i just checked to see if i had a s-video port on my dvd player and yea u can hook it up the the dvd player or tv

5. sweet5588

sweet5588 Member

hello?

6. truth721

truth721 Regular member

how can we help you?

7. sweet5588

sweet5588 Member

it's just funny how this thread has been dead for days now... i guess that guy got what he needed....

8. shugaloaf

shugaloaf Member

Hi. Same question as above - I have the S-video output on my video card. I have an HD TV (1080i/480p). Can I just hook up an S-video cable and I'm good to go or is there anything else involved?

9. truth721

truth721 Regular member

i have a HD tv and i just got a mini dvi, it has the option of using the s-video and i just hooked it up to the tv and i was good to go

10. shugaloaf

shugaloaf Member

I'm confused... Isn't a mini DVI another type of connection? Also, if it is some sort of periphrial, does the fact that it can connect to a HDTV via S-Video mean that a PC can as well?

I'm just tyring to figure out if we're comparing apples to oranges.

11. truth721

truth721 Regular member

i have a macbook and it has a mini-dvi port on it. with the dvi, i can also use s-video cable. if u have a pc with s-video it can also connect to the tv as well. i was in the same boat as u. i was looking for s-video card to put into my pc so i can watch videos from my pc to tv.

12. shugaloaf

shugaloaf Member

Yeah I remember seeing your post earlier. Do you know what resolution I should be able to get with the S-Video? My TV is HD 1080i/480p. Will I be able to do like 1024x768 (or better) do you think? Basically I just want to be able to see the screen without it being made huge(like 640x480) and be able to read the fonts. What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

13. truth721

truth721 Regular member

800x600 should be good, my mac automatically fixes itself for the tv and im able to read the font and stuff. This is my opinion but sometimes it depends on the page and how far u are from the tv, since i have a 47 inch hdtv i can sit quite far from the tv.

14. sweet5588

sweet5588 Member

yeah, most of the time you just have to configure it for what works best for you.

if you have a nice tv, you'll be able to handle better resolutions..

if your broke college kid like me, you won't it just depends.

By the way, if you have a TV with a DVI input USE IT!!!!!!!!! it is better quality than S-Video, and will be able to handle the best resolutions most of the time.

15. shugaloaf

shugaloaf Member

Thanks guys. I wish I had the dvi input that would make things so much easier. Oh well, on the next tv.

Mine is a 47" too. Is yours a Panasonic Truth? If so we porbably have the same tv.

800x600 is alright, guess it's better than nothing. Was hoping for a little better for games and web surfing. Looks like I need to get some dvi inputs!!

Hey remember a few years back when a few bigscreen TVs were coming out with rgb inputs on the back? I wonder why they stopped that...

16. freetar

freetar Member

Hi, I have a Dell Latitude C600 laptop, and I have a 20" Niko LCD monitor. I used an s-video cable to connect the monitor to my computer, and the computer recognizes it as a secondary monitor, but the monitor says "NO SIGNAL". What should I do? Thanks.

17. sweet5588

sweet5588 Member

you should just plug it in using the vga adapter on laptops...

you'l get better quality anyways...