1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC to TV with a db15 cable

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dtslammer, Jan 20, 2009.

1. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

I have a Mitsubishi HD1080, Model# WS 55805 with a db15 connection and I'm not sure what configuration is needed to hook up to my pc running windows vista and a Nvidia GeForce 6150 LE video card. I have ordered a db15 male to male cable that my pc accepts but I'm wondering what else needs to be done. Can someone...anyone out there give me an idea. I have read something about frying the tv if the frequencies are not set correctly. Any help will be accepted with open arms. also I do not have the user manual and the tv was bought in 2003. Thanks before hand

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It shouldn't be difficult. Set the refresh rate to 60Hz and the resolution to whatever the TV supports, which I believe is 850x480 as it is not a high definition TV (Does not accept high definition progressive inputs, i.e. 720p or 1080p)

3. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Thanks for answering. What is the refresh rate and also the tv is High def unless you mean something else. And when you speak of resolution are speaking of the pc. thanks again

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The TV can only accept 1080i and 480p. I don't think you can produce interlaced signals with the average integrated graphics chip, so it will have to be 480p (which is EDTV, not High def)

5. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

I'm apolojize for so ignorant but I have no idea what you talking about. What is interlaced signals and why is it that it does not support 1080 when the tv says HD1080 on the front. And to be rude but can you give it to me in lamen terms step by step because so far I am just confuse.Thanks before hand.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The TV is branded HD1080 as it accepts 1080i inputs. However, it is a very old model, and since it uses a standard Cathode Ray Tube, rather than a Liquid Crystal like newer TVs, it can never really perform like a High definition TV.
    A 1080i input is a high resolution, 1920x1080 pixels, but interlaced, which means the TV only ever refreshes every other line at a time. This is how TV has always worked, but at a resolution of 640x480, known as 480i.
    The best option to connect this TV to a PC is to use 480p, which is still the low 640x480 (850x480 in widescreen) resolution, but progressive scan, i.e. every line on the picture is refreshed at once.
    There is a lot of marketing 'scamming' going on in the TV market, and this 'HD1080' branding is one of many cases.

7. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Thank you so much. So when I change the setting,is this going to be in Nvidia control panel or the tv? And are there any other changes that need to made? And if so can you please walk me through them Thanks before hand.[​IMG]

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It should all be dealt with in the nvidia control panel.

9. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Thank you so much for all your help. The cable isn't here yet but I should have it by this weekend and if I have any more issues. I will tune in. thanks again sammorris[​IMG]
    Code:
    http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=woodson20052au7.jpg

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

So sorry, what's with the picture of the dog?
    (You were missing the colon in http by the way, that's why it didn't come out)

11. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

That's my baby...I have been wondering how to that since 2004 and I finally decided to try. How do you get it to show with every post...
    And one more thing Thank you same for helping me with the pc to tv issue. I was told that my video card was not a very good one. Do you suggest changing that out or does is matter because of how old the tv is. thanks before hand

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It would probably be easier if you had a graphics card with an S-Video port on it, and you just used an S-Video to composite cable instead. You can get a cheap graphics card with S-Video on it easily enough, something like a radeon 9250 PCI will almost certainly fit in your PC.

13. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

What is the price range and also will that give me the best video quality

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You would get better picture quality from an HD card like an HD3450, which will actually work out cheaper, as it isn't so outdated. This relies on your PC having a PCI express slot. What make and model is your PC?

15. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

[​IMG]I hope this is what your talking about

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

17. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Is that the driver that you were speaking of earlier and will it improve the quality? Thanks before hand

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not a driver, it's a graphics card.
    The driver is the software you use to operate a graphics card.

19. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

So this card will enhance my video quality?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, to an extent.