1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC to TV with a db15 cable

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dtslammer, Jan 20, 2009.

1. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Thank you so much for your help. I'll let you know how it turns out. But once again, there's nothing more valuable then people willing to help.

2. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I think it should be 60Hz, or 30Hz if available.

4. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Thanks for responding sammorris
    Well I changed the settings and it's not comming up on the tv.
    I turned computer and tv off,
    hooked up the db15 cable to both tv and pc
    turn on computer and opened nvidia control panel, change resolution to 1250x960 with the refresh rate of 60 hertz and then restarted my computer with tv on and nothing came up. I went into tv setting and DTV was set to YPrPb. I don't know if this correct but that what it's to.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

1280x960 is much too high, your TV won't be able to accept that. Try 640x480 first.

6. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

I tried those setting and it still didn't work. I went in to custom resolution and set the horizontal vertical pixel to 640 and 480 with a refresh rate of 60 hertz and still nothing. I thought I would give a link to my manual(listed under ws-55905 because it uses the same manual) so that you could get a pic of the back panel of my tv.http://tv.manualsonline.com/mdownloads/1fe7fa1e-b872-40b3-99e3-a59b56c7c482.pdf
    thanks before hand

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are 30Hz or interlacing an option?

8. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

interlacing is, and in custom where I set it to 640x480, I can change the hertz. I'll try that and let you know what happens. Thanks before hand

9. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

still nothing. Is it possible that it's the wrong cable? Should I take pics. of the back of the pc and tv and post them. I just don't know what the next step should be.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You have presumably set the TV up correctly to receive that signal? Right AV channel, and any other settings you may need to set in the menu?

11. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

I can't say that I have. I'm am totally illiterate to the process of what needs to be done I just followed the directions you gave me early on in the post on the computer side I was not sure what changes needed to made on the tv side. Totally ignorant to what needs to be done, that why I am calling on your superior knowledge to situation. Please tell me what changes need to be made. Right now my input is on DTV which is the HDTV setting.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What other options do you have?

13. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

well the db15 output is in the area of the back panel labeled HDTV. And under that section the menu>setup>assign Input>DTV>rgb,YPrPb, and off

14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try RGB.

15. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

now the screen is green. I also have to mention that I have a Comcast HDTV cable box hook up through the Y Pr Pb rca jacks which come out of the same HDTV area, but I just hooked those back up,they were not hooked up through all the other testing.

16. pernal

pernal Regular member

@dtslammer
    I use a Emerson 19" HDTV (It was only $20 more than buying a new 19" monitor). I was in a desperate for a monitor; My 19" Acer died and there weren't any sales. I set tv to pc and used the vga monitor cable with res set @ 1280x768. No problems!

Burn On,
    Russell

17. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

my tv is a older model mitsubishi WS-55805 crt that I am trying connect to pc running vista via DB15 which is sort of like a VGA except it to rows instead of three

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Actually that hadn't even occurred to me that it's full size DB-15. I don't really have any experience of those.

19. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

So what do you think my next step should be s-video? I've had this tv since 2003 and I know it can be done I just should have tried back when the info was still fresh on the net and then I would have at least had an idea. I'm just lost now. Thanks before hand.

20. dailun

dailun Active member

VGA on DB-15 is not standard. I have seen at least 2 or 3 different manufacturers with 2 or three different pin configurations for video on this connector. More than likely a proprietary cable is required.

Failing that, if you can get the pinouts from the TV you can make a HD-15 to DB-15 cable that will match the pinouts.

Based on what I've read in this thread that interface mat be switchable between RBG and progressive inputs.

I really think that some manufacturer support is required here since the TV is (apparently) using a proprietary interface.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009