1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC to TV with a db15 cable

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dtslammer, Jan 20, 2009.

1. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

so do you think a RGB to VGA cable will work instead, and if so, can I go through my dvd player (Bose model# AV3-2-1 ll Media Center)because the cable is running out of the ones on the back of the tv. thanks before hand

2. dailun

dailun Active member

No. There are two separate issues here.

1. The electrical interface. We know that the PC is Analog VGA. We can almost assume that the TV is analog VGA. The different between rgb YPrPb has to do with how and where the sync signals come in.

2. The physical 8interface. As I said, VGA on DB-15 is not a standard interface and therefore you can't know what signals are where.

According to what I have read out on the web, this may not just be a simple cable. You may need something called an "vga to rgbhv" converter.

I really really think that you should be talking to the manufacturer on this. If you put the wrong signals on the wrong pins this is a (small) possibility that you could blow out the interface and then you'll never know if you get it working or not. Right now everyone appears to be "just guessing".

I think you first have to see if you can get the right cable.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

4. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Well I've been asking some questions, and I have found out that DB15 connection on the back of my TV is not a video output. On my model it was used as a control port for their Mitsubishe DTV tuner. So I know that I can't use it now.But the RGBHV to VGA cable can be used but my HD cable box is plugged there. So I was thinking about S-video and graphic card "sammorris" suggested one earlier in this post. "Dailun" what did mean about blowing the interface?

5. dailun

dailun Active member

S-video will give you crappy, low-res output.

According to the brief set of specs I read on your model, there should be an HD-15 (standard VGA) port on that TV somewhere.

Is that what you're using for your HD cable box?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not a proper HDTV so it doesn't really matter. S-Video should be easier.

7. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

"Dailun" what is HD-15 and I'm using RGBHV for my cable box. Here's a pic. of the back of TV.
    [​IMG]
    "Sammorris" Why is it not a real HDTV?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Because it does not support the resolutions required to be labelled 'High Definition' TV. It is one of the early designs that experimented with the concept.

9. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

What resolutions does it have to support. I looked and from I can see it says video display 480p and 960i.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

480p is EDTV (Enhanced definition) - it offers a clearer picture than normal Standard def TVs, but is not high definition as the resolution has not changed. 960i is not a standard broadcast resolution.
    To support HD, TVs must be capable of 720p. To support full high definition they must be cable of 1080i and 1080p - and must have VGA and HDMI ports.

11. dailun

dailun Active member

HD-15 (High-Density 15) is the designation for the connector commonly known as a "VGA plug". It is 3 rows of 5 pins in the same form factor as a DB-9.

DB-15 is D-subminiature 15, which is the physical connector on your TV that is labeled HDTV control.

RGBHV means Red, Green, Blue, Horizontal Sync and Vertical Sync all come in on separate pins.

This is what you would use for a PC input and you could use the same cable as was used for old Sun workstations. (HD-15 to 5 BNC)

Just like these.

http://www.cablemakers.com/rgb-bnc-cables.htm

Since you only have one input you would need a switchbox if you really wanted to do this.

12. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Can you show me switchboard and tell me what it does. Thank before hand I really appreciate what you guys are doing to help. "sammorris" so what is the 960i?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've no idea, I've never seen it before.

14. dailun

dailun Active member

The answer that you got at techlore is correct.

Regarding getting this running with a switchbox, This might possibly be accomplished although it will look like "Medusa's new hairdo" when you get done.

As far as I know, I have never seen an A-B switchbox for 5 BNC connectors. That would be a total of 15 BNC Connectors.

In theory (strictly theoretical and only if I had time and money to burn, I could envision this working with a VGA (HD-15F) A-B switch box and 2 HD-15M to BNC cables. and 1 HD-15M to HD-15M cable

Connect the HD-15M to HD-15M cable between the laptop and port A of the switchbox.
    Connect the BNC cables to the DVR and the HD-15M to port B of the switchbox.
    Connect the 2nd BNC cable between the common port of the switchbox and the TV.

Ugh. Sounds gross just thinking about it.

BTW, before you even consider a switchbox, you should first get an HD-15M to 5 BNC cable and Make sure your PC works with the TV first.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  15. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Can you give me an idea of how much this will cost and a switchbox looks like? And also why I would need BNC cables and not just a video card with s-video capability.Thanks before hand

16. dailun

dailun Active member

Becasue, as I said before, "S-video will give you crappy, low-res output. "

I thought that the whole point of this was to utilize the hi-res capabilities of the TV.

If just getting any crappy signal from your PC into the TV is the goal, by all means go S-Video.

I believe that the maximum resolution signal you can put through S-video is 640 x 480 (maybe only 320 x 240)

In order to get any higher resolution than that you will need to use the HDTV input.

My off-hand estimate for parts:

HD-15 to VGA cable $15-20 USD each
    VGA Switchbox $10-30 USD (Just saw one on Amazon with HD-15 to HD-15 cable for $16.99)
    HD-15M to HD-15M $5-15 USD

It's probably worth getting an HD-15 to BNC cable to see what kind of resolution you will get before deciding on whether to finish the project.

You can probably find one cheap on eBay.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  17. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

I'm sorry about asking so many questions but I am a "TECH-not" and I'm kinda of confused. The HD input on the back panel of the TV (there's only one) is being utilized by the HD cable box.

18. dailun

dailun Active member

Yes, I know. That is why you need a switchbox is you want to use the HDTV input for both PC and cable box.

Crap!!!! all my formatting was lost.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  19. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

Alright I'll get the HD-15M to 5 BNC cable first. Do I need to change anything on pc b sides the resolution and refresh rate? And is 60hz to high or should I go for 30hz

20. dtslammer

dtslammer Member

One more thing I hook the HD-15M to 5 BNC cable up just like I would the rgb to vga correct?