1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc to tv without svideo

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by mikej3131, Feb 1, 2006.

1. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

as you said before.
    "NVIDIA GeForce 6100 - thats your chipset
    so obviously anything made by nvidia is a perfect match"

Since that other card is made by evga, will this be different?

2. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

who it is made by doesnt make any difference what matters is the fact that it is an Nvidia card, all the parts on the board are made by nvidia, evga just put the thing together.

3. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

sorry dumb question on my part. Thanks sypher

4. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

are either of these cards capable of 64 bit? i was reading my gateway lcd 19 inch flat screen monitor book and it said that if your graphics card is capable of 64 bit, then you can use it on this monitor?

5. efinigan

efinigan Guest

My previous message was incorrect: I'm trying to connect the new Radeon cart to my TV (not my PC). It should have read:
    "Previously I wrote: I just purchased (but have not opened) a Norwood Radeon 9250 PCI Video card, but maybe I should have gotten the APG version? (Both slots are available on my Dell Optiplex GX260.) Which is better?.)
    On your advice I did swap it for an APG, but I still haven't figured out how to connect the card to my TV?"
    I've used S-video, composite and VGA connection but noting shows on the Motorola TV?

6. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

@ efinigan

your probably connecting it up properly your just not setting the graphics card to display on both screens,

right click your desktop, go to properties, click on the settings tab and click the advanced button.

have a poke around at your graphics card settings eventually youll find something to do with TV output

P.S stop saying APG its AGP lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2006
  7. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Hey sypher,

are either of these cards capable of 64 bit? i was reading my gateway lcd 19 inch flat screen monitor book and it said that if your graphics card is capable of 64 bit, then you can use it on this monitor?

8. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

64 bit refers to the memory bandwidth. these cards are 128 so theres no problems there

9. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Thanks.

I was looking at the geforce 6600le ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130253 )and noticed it had a dvi to vga adapter. What is this used for. I know my lcd monitor has a dvi input on it. Would i even need the adapter? couldnt i just get a dvi to dvi cable and plug one end in the dvi output from that video card and then plug the other dvi end to the monitor dvi input?

10. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

And what are the advantages of having dvi as opposed to vga?

11. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Sypher you said

"also 128mb shared memory means that if you were to have 512MB of memory in your computer and the onboard graphics card was sharing 128mb the rest of your computer is left with only 384MB of memory... wheras if you had a 128 mb graphics card the memory is built onto the card leaving your computers memory alone which means that the computer can run faster."

Under the features section for the Aopen geforce 6200tc, it says "PCI Express compliant motherboard and supply
    For full 256MB support, 512MB system memory required
    *NVIDIA TurboCache technology
    Shares the capacity and bandwidth of dedicated video memory and dynamically available system memory for turbocharged performance and larger total graphics memory"

Does this mean that this card shares the computers memory and wil leave my computer with less memory or is this the card where it doesnt share?

12. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

ah... lol yes it does mean it would share with your board... sorry i didnt read the full specification on the card... this one would suite you better

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814141017

its a 6500.. these are better than the 6200s and it wont steal any of your systems memory or anything else

13. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

14. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

also is this one gonna be better than the 6500 you just reccomended?

15. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Just got my card yesterday and hooked it all up. Works great, just how i wanted it to. Played a bunch of games on my tv and watched a movie on my tv with the svideo hookup with the easiest of use. The software was very easy to use.
    Thanks for all the help SYPHER and getting me started

I only ran into one little problem though. When inserting the card i had trouble. I literally had to jam it in there, it didnt go in easy. Took me about a half hour of wiggling it and then i finaly jammed it in. Everything worked after that but my only concern is that while i was jamming it in i would take it out every once in a while to look at it to see if i messed anything up. I saw that two of the gold bars(the little gold pieces that are on the end of the card where the card goes into the slot) were half broken off. Is this going to effect anything eventually? should i send it back and get another one?

Also does this card use the cpu's memory or use its own?

Thanks

16. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

that card is ok but the one i showed you is about twice as good, evga cards tend to be low specs,

that 6600LE has a 300MHz core clock and 400MHz memory clock (thats about standard, its not far off my card and mines a 5 series card)

that 6500 has a 400MHz core clock and a 533MHz memory clock which means it would perform a lot better than the one youve purchased when playing high spec 3D games, BUT

you wont notice any difference though as your not going to be using your PC to play incredibly high spec games so the card will do you just fine, its better than the 6200 i originally suggested anyway.

It should do ya fine for DVDs and Emulators, and it has the TV-Out function you wanted.

If you have any troubles installing or setting up the card dont hesitate to ask.

Have fun with your new card

17. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

Hey sypher did you get my post before this one? abotu the bars?

Also does this card you just recomended have the same NVIEW software and it is nvidea?

18. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

the card should have gone in quite easily, my guess is that you made a very common mistake and didnt open the clip, theres usually a little clip right at the very back of the PCI-Express slot that you have to slid back so the card will go in.

as for the bars being broken im not sure how you managed it but if the cards working then theres probably nothing to worry about. if your concerned about it though send the card back and say it was like it when you got it ;P

all nvidia cards use the same drivers so yes the card does have the exact same n-view stuff and it has every other feature of the card you currently have, its just a bit faster and made by a more reliable company.

19. mikej3131

mikej3131 Regular member

If the clip your refering to is the little black lever looking thing on the back of the slot that you have to push down to get it in then yeah i did that, is that the clip, i didnt have to slide it back i had to push it down. I might not have been angling it correctly?

Also i think i might take your advice on this other card, play my some games on my tv over the weekend and then send it back and get this other one

20. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

ive posted in your thread in the pc hardware forum. if your planning on sending the card back then id take it out of your system and put it back in the box just incase you cause any damage to it. its unlikely but if those pins on the card really are broken then its a possibility.

as for the clip its different on diff motherboards, some have to slide back some have to be pulled, some arent even there lol

if you do decide to swap be more carefull when installing your new card. never touch those pins on the bottom as that can cause ESD (electro static damage)and you dont want that. handle the card by the edges and try not to touch any of the components on the board itself. it may require a little push to get the card in but dont wriggle it about to much as you could damage your motherboard.