1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc upgrade

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sidi, Sep 23, 2004.

1. sidi

sidi Member

my pc P4 1.6ghz overclocked to 2.1 768mb ddr. people say that Amd chips are better and cheaper than intel. so i'd like to know: what AMD processor and mobo could i change to upgrade my pc?
    thanks. sidi

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

3. sidi

sidi Member

Hi agent-K
    Sorry for my ignorance, i've read the posts and im little confuse.
    you said:"Sempron 2400 are 333Fsb with a multiplier of 10X.This gives it a clock speed of 1.66Ghz".
    isn't it the same clock of my P4 1.6ghz?
    the AMD processor names are confuse, so isn't easy for me to compare them with intel ones.

4. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

sidi,
    the AMD processor names do not represent the actual speed that they run at, unlike the Pentiums.
    They were originally named according to their performance rating when compared to an intel processor.
    So in theory the old Athlon 2400 processor was meant to perform as well as a Pentium 2.4 even though the Athlon only ran at 2.0Ghz.
    They have stopped making the Athlon 32 processors now, so you have a choice between the Athlon 64 which is a high performance chip but quite expensive and the Sempron which is meant to be the budget brand. But as you saw from the other threads it appears to be a very nice processor for the money.
    It all depends on how much money you want to spend and what you do with your computer.
    I won't be using the Athlon 64 until the price comes down a lot.
    The trouble now is that the Athlon 64's are just as expensive as the Pentium's so depending on how big an upgrade you want to do, you may want to stick with Pentium and go for a 3.0Ghz Northwood (or bigger).

5. sidi

sidi Member

thanks agent-k
    So i can say that:pentium 4 Prescott 3.0 GHz, Hyper Threading and Athlon 64 3000+ have same performance?

sincerely. sidi

6. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

In theory yes, that's the idea even though they run at different speeds.
    In this case the Athlon will actually be faster because it is a 64 bit processor and the pentium is a 32 bit.
    Also you would be better off getting the Pentium Northwood processor as it is a bit better than the Prescott, and faster.

7. sidi

sidi Member

thanks agent-k
    windows xp is able to use all the capability of 64 bit processor? and how about the temperature of this processor?
    i always hear people saying that AMD processors heat too much. is it true?
    sincerely. sidi

8. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

No, not yet

Every setup is different, depends on your case, fans, room temp, etc.