1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC vs. Consoles+Half-Life vs. Half-Life 2

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by s3a, Aug 2, 2006.

1. s3a

s3a Guest

Ok, first off let me say why I think the PC is the best video gaming platform (anything such as word processing excluded...this is strictly PC's in the gaming area):

If money is or even if it isn't of the concern, PC's are the best video gaming platform because they offer top-notch graphical updates frequently yet unlike what everybody thinks, you ARE NOT forced to upgrade your graphics frequently...and yes a PC CAN be cheaper than a console in the long-run!! Not to mention, you can use mouse/keyboard or gamepads (xbox 360 controller for PC for example)!

If you are rich and want to enjoy games at their full extent (wether you like gamepads or not) with a PC, you can!! (unlike consoles) Consoles are great! Amazing even but fall to the PC...of course they will not technically "fall" to the PC since the majority of people are not rich/like their games on gamepads/lack PC knowledge/or are simply stupid or brainwashed that consoles are cheaper than PC's...this might not go for the Wii...which I would say because of it's uniqueness (is that a real word?), it can compete with the PC.
    When I say compete, I do not in no way mean in terms of business but I am assuming that everyone is rich and no-one cares about money but everyone cares only about what is the best. So...throw anything at me...PC is better than any console (the Wii surpasses the PC in SOME areas but I still think PC is better than Wii) at anything!!!

I seriously mean it...throw me any comments/questions (most probably comments) and I will answer you!!
    As for Half-Life vs. Half-Life 2...Half-Life is better and that is without comparing the graphics simply because in Half-Life 2, you feel like a god because everyone says "My god! Gordon Freeman!! Just what we needed!" plus it has the gravity gun...I cannot say for sure because I have not beaten the original Half-Life yet (I know it's weird that I finished the sequel before the original but I didn't even know I had Half-Life until I played Half-Life 2 (which was a gift) which I then told myself....I want more Half-Life!! Hey!! I remember having another Half-Life and then having found it...I am feeding my Half-Life addiction!! Ya!!! (lol) Anyway back on topic...don't get me wrong, the original Half-Life is great even amazing but compared to the sequel it is not as good but it is very, very close! Others such as gamespot disagree with me...this is why I think they disagree with me:

When Half-Life 1 came out, all other fps games sucked! So, it was amazing to have Half-Life but now we take those games almost for granted with games such as Halo so they gave Half-Life 2 a lower rating than the original Half-Life which I think is wrong but I may be wrong because I haven't finished Half-Life yet!!

Anyone care to have a "friendly argument"?

2. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

PC will always be better. Console systems last about 3 years before a new one comes out. PC Hardware is upgraded daily. You're argument reminds me of Elder Scrolls 4. They had to take the shadows out of the X Box 360 version because it couldn't handle it. It bogged the system down so much it was un playable. I really don't get it. I bought a X Box 360 from Bj's Whole Sale club in New Hampshire for $397. I dol it on EBAY in less than 24 hours for $1,150 when they first released. For that much you can build or buy a nice PC. I really don't get consoles. The only feature that is nice is the online how it connects people up together to play. It is a lot more user friendly than the PC is. Maximum Pc did a "PC vs X Box 360" and they had PC come out on top also. Lets face it..PC PWNS Console! NOt to mention the games for X Box are $10-$20 more!

3. s3a

s3a Guest

So for the PC vs. Consoles talk...you are my ally? In other words you agree with me, right?

What about Half-Life vs. Half-Life 2...am I the only one who loves Half-Life soooo much??

P.S.
    Console systems last about 5 years not 3...but still PC is better...

P.S. #2
    Just out of curiousity...the Xbox has a 128 MB Gfx card in it? And the 360 has 256??

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2006
  4. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

PC owns Consoles. (except when ps3 is released)
    HL2 owns HL.

5. mark5hs

mark5hs Guest

Id say HL2 is better than HL for the incredible production values, as well the multiplayer, but I was dissapointed a bit in the lack of weapons and aliens as opposed to HL1. I also thought HL1 was better in the storytelling department. I own a PS2, gamecube, and DS and at times, I play mainly PC and other times I play mainly DS. PC>consoles

6. s3a

s3a Guest

I haven't finished the first Half-Life but I do think that Half-Life 2 wins in the storytelling department! As for the weapons I really cannot say anything about that yet! And plus PC owns all consoles because 5-10 years after the consoles life cycle...they will be emulated on PC...and I mean Xbox, PS2, GCN...ya, I no, they are not yet well emulated but when the time comes...I will be playing Xbox games with a 360 controller for PC on my PC!!

So...one more reason why PC wins!

7. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

yeah, five years is right. Also, we are in a windows forums. Poeple that come to this forum are most likely PC fans. If you want an argument you should go to the console forums :). I'm sure you will find some there.

8. s3a

s3a Guest

Ya...well...I'm too lazy right now...lol...can someone "port" this thread to all console sections? But in those threads...put a link that direct towards this thread...

When/if my laziness wears off...then I will do it...

9. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Then it might be considered cross posting :)

10. s3a

s3a Guest

No, not if you put a link directing to this thread instead of starting same thread again...no wat I mean?

11. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

yeah gotcha

12. damo_red

damo_red Member

PC wins hands down for me, there is a massive back catalogue of games.

as for graphics there is cycle, usually next gen games console come out with outstanding graphics, and this is true for about a year. but PC hardware not only catches up but overlaps it after the first year and games look better on the PC, and then much better towards the end of the consoles life.

Onlne play is better on games consoles, far easier.

Games consoles, are usually more practicle for multiplayer games also. usllay you can sit round the couch with a massive TV and a games console with your pads plugged in. there are exceptions of course, some people have there PCs in more comfortable areas, then every one sat around a desk.

the common probelm with PC gaming is getting a joypad which feels right, and then once you have masterd using the keyboard and mouse you will never want to play first person shooters on the console again.

graphics and game updates with new levels and gusne etc, used to be PC only untill the 360 and was defitnly one of the best things about playing PC games.

usually sound is much better on a PC if you got a surround system and a good sound card.

PC hardware, even with the big 360 problems usally are less realible. hardware, breaks and viruses etc.

games are cheaper for the PC, and there are great games which come out on the PC which when ported to consoles are poor. however there are a lot of A class games which appear on consoles, which dont appear on PC or wont for a long time *cough *cough halo 2 and im gutted mgs4 wont be out on PC, had to play number 3 on the ps2.

theres also the simplicty of memory cards, but removable media is just as effective with transfering saves.

13. s3a

s3a Guest

damo_red, you are right except for transferring saves....buy a flashdrive and you can transfer saves on PC's as well!

14. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Consoles are better for a year in terms of graphics? I do not find that true. Maybe a few months at most but not even close to a year. Not to mention you need an lcd for the x box anyway for it to look Elite.

15. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

The only eason i would prefer a console is:

If you have a ps2. YOu can play a ps2 game just fine!

If you have a pc. Well its a different story huh!!!

Lecsiy

16. damo_red

damo_red Member

yep, know i think about using a flashdrive is just as easy as a memory card.

PC for me rules, i just wish some devlopers would not begin to support the format with there franchises and then tail off towards the end. for example, no MSG3 or 4 for the PC. no resi evil 4 or 5 for the PC either. good franchises, which failed to be realeased for the PC.

i suppose the biggest thing which effects my gaming habbits, and is the reason why i usally have a PC and a console is the Games.

i would perfer to just have the PC and the one console, the big problem which awaits me this time round is i want to play both the new mgs4 and halo3. and im not prepared, or have the cash as a student to buy both ps3 and 360.

i think in the near future i may buy a 360. and then a maybe ps3 when mgs4 is in the bargin basket for like £5 lol and the PS3 is closer to the £150 mark.

but for me at the mo, im just playing the new tomb raider, codemned criminalty and just as of yesterday completed quake 4. all next gen games, which looks as good on my PC as they do on 360 as far as im concerned.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  17. s3a

s3a Guest

Ok...won't those games you just mentioned come on PC with gamepad support (360 controller for pc)?

Halo 3 will come to PC...have patience...it will come to PC faster than Halo and Halo 2...here's why I think this:

Since they have only one title (Halo 3 for PC) to work on, they can work on it faster! I say this because, the last "episode" of Halo will be Halo 3 and once it comes to the 360, it's on it's way to the PC!

*You also have to wait for patches/cracks to make Halo 2 (and 3 possibly) work on Windows XP...Bill Gates thinks that Halo 2 will make people get windows vista!! He is wrong, instead people just wont buy Halo 2 (and 3 possibly)!!!! Unless ofcourse patches are made by hackers...

18. ofolion

ofolion Regular member

I agree PC rains supreme for gaming in general, although some games just don't work as well/at all on PC when they come to PC,(GTA games, Devil May Cry, etc) and the same for console games, FPS's in my opinion are terrible on console also you just cant play any RTS on console as its the complete oposite of what you are suppost to do...

On the subject of Half-Life/2; Half-Life 2 is a much better game in my opinion than the orignial, due to some things such as storyline, the new source engine and of course the gravity gun ;)
    Half-Life 2: Episode One is also a great game and dare i say acctually better than Half-Life 2 but the problem is its soooo short...i completed it in a single 3 hour sitting :( but you should seriously give HL2:EP1 a go its brilliant!!!

19. s3a

s3a Guest

Quote:"but you should seriously give HL2:EP1 a go its brilliant!!!"
    ----------
    so I've heard...i will buy it soon...im trying to see if the price will drop....this is kind of off-topic but if you rent this game...you will finish it in less than a day! so...no need to buy it really....but me i like to play it over and over...i played halo every weekend for 3 years...lol

p.s.
    i wanna trade my half-life 2 for xbox for the pc version...is there any store that allows me to do that for no fee or for a very small fee?

p.s. #2
    the keyboard im using sucks!!!!!!!!!!! the left shift key does not work and the right one does but when i press it it adds a 1!!!! thus (ooo....big word)making me always have to delete it!!!

p.s. #3
    pc owns because you can play racing games with a steering wheel for pc, ship games with a joystick, basketball games with a 360 controller for pc, fps games with a mouse/keyboard...all thats missing now is a wii-mote for pc!!!! (for star wars games, fps games etc)

20. ofolion

ofolion Regular member

Yeah its a VERY short game,

P.S.: You might be able to trade it off over another game, meaning you sell it to them for say £20 and they give you £20 off the new game you wanna buy

P.S.2: Rebind the key ?

P.S.3: I prefer just use keyboard and mouse for everything :p (on PC that is)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006