1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC vs. Consoles+Half-Life vs. Half-Life 2

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by s3a, Aug 2, 2006.

1. damo_red

damo_red Member

thats a very good point, how cool would it be if the wi controller technology in the future is used for PC gaming. if the PS3 ripped it off, i cant see why PC gamers cant

2. s3a

s3a Guest

Quote:"thats a very good point, how cool would it be if the wi controller technology in the future is used for PC gaming. if the PS3 ripped it off, i cant see why PC gamers cant"

3. sam805236

sam805236 Guest

Right now, the PC is still the best platform for hardcore gamers who can easily tell graphic quality, but and I say BUT, I think the console will eventually replace the PC. If you look at the PS3, which is really a computer the hardware is probably on par or even better than the average persons PC. PC still rules in online gaming but the new consols are slowly stealing gamers. As far as graphic quality, once the game manufacturers for PS3 take advantage of its processing power watch out PC.

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

keithyb , you can play alot of PC games online

PC all the way here guys. i have an above avg. machine for gaming ,it will play anything ,consoles cant touch this

[bold]Lian-Li V1000 Full Tower/Antec-TruePower550-Watt/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe MB Socket 939/ Seagate160GB Barracuda/ Westeren Digital Raptor 150 GB Sata/NVIDIA Geforce-7800 GTX KO ACS-3 Edition/ CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 433(PC 3500)/AMD Opteron 175 Demark Dual Core/Zalman CNPS-9500 LED Cooler/2-Plextor PX-716A Drives/Lite-On SHW-160P6S/View Sonic-VP2030b 20.1"LCD 1600x1200 res.8ms Respone Time[/bold]

5. damo_red

damo_red Member

another important point to remember. there isent a unfined spec for PC gaming like there is console gameing.

at the moment i have found some devlopers will realease games with next gen content, eg graphics, sound and AI etc. and these are on par or better then the games consoles version.

however, some game devlopers, EA jumps to mind recently with fifa world cup 2006 dint allow me to tweak the graphics, this leaves me to only assume that the game has been designed to work on all levels of PCs meidum, high and extra high and what images i have seen of the 360 version, it has looked better.

because you can change the performance of a game, this can also have a negative effect on some peoples views with PC gaming. i have friends who havent got a clue about PCs, updating graphic drivers and basically dont tinker about with there computer, they would much perfer to stick a disk into a console and bam.

so in my opinon, if you can afford a PC which is could enough to play games, then get one.

i think we can all agree, you dont need to spend thousands to be able to play next gen games on your PC, i think the idea that you have to though may put some people off.

PS. im looking into maybe getting a 360 controller for the PC, if people have used it for the PC could you please give me your opinons on it. thx.

6. s3a

s3a Guest

Quote:"Right now, the PC is still the best platform for hardcore gamers who can easily tell graphic quality, but and I say BUT, I think the console will eventually replace the PC. If you look at the PS3, which is really a computer the hardware is probably on par or even better than the average persons PC. PC still rules in online gaming but the new consols are slowly stealing gamers. As far as graphic quality, once the game manufacturers for PS3 take advantage of its processing power watch out PC."
    The PC IS the best platform for now and for ever because its updated (in terms of software and hardware) much more often compared to consoles! PC will always rule in term of gaming and the only reason consoles exist is because the average people are either stupid in computers or don't have money or just think they are saving money when truly they are not!!! The PS3's hardware will be outmatched soon after the PS3's release, you just watch!!!

P.S.
    There are other reasons to own a console such as avoiding headaches, etc. I actually like "headaches" believe it or not! As long as they don't last long or else it starts getting to me.
    _______
    Quote:"PS. im looking into maybe getting a 360 controller for the PC, if people have used it for the PC could you please give me your opinons on it. thx."

Stop right there! The wired 360 controller for the 360 and the one for pc are the exact same product!!! What are the difference, you ask? Well, the PC version comes with manuals that you will never read as well as the driver (on a cd). Well...guess what? You can download the driver, legally and for free!!! And believe it or not, on microsoft's website!!!! The only downfall is that you will have to waste 3 MB of HDD space or burn it to a CD yourself but on the second hand...that is not a downfall considering that the 360 controller for the 360 is 10$ (canadian $) cheaper than the one for pc!!! (atleast where I live)

More questions? Ask! I like returning favors! (I also like receiving them but thats besides the point)

7. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

aabbccdd yes you can play a lot of games online I agree with that. However, its easier to play online with xbox games. Better matching systems and game finders. Last few games I bought on PC becuase there are so many online there are harldy enough players to play online with. However, there are the games like BF, WoW, where you can find millions.

8. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

I agree S3A. I don't think consoles are slowly stealing pc gamers. Everyone i have ever known that owns a PC always seems to come back to PC gaming at the end. They get bored with the console and the limitations. Plus there are so many things you can do with a PC. People will have one anway and just upgrade it for playing games. When a console comes out that can record tv shows, burn dvds, cd-r's, it will probably cost more than a PC you can build and it will be much slower than a PC can do it. So PC will still Pwn :)_

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  9. s3a

s3a Guest

I think we can all agree PC's are better but lets say you have a child at 6 years old for example...you NEED a console! So, my point is consoles will never die nor will PC's because, there are rich people who want to get the best of the best (or smart people who know how to save money).

So, in other words...Consoles vs. PC's will be a never ending battle even though PC's are better.

I would like to add that with a 360 controller for PC (or the normal wired one with the driver), you can enjoy games that need gamepads as much as on the 360 itself! Lets say, you only like gamepads...well, you can play with a well supported gamepad (360 controller for pc) and plus if you have the money, better graphics than the 360!!!!

P.S.
    Graphic Cards that are better than the 360's should become inexpensive in about half the 360's life cycle! So...PC can be like you're playing a 360 with better graphics!!!!! However, the 360 wins in AI...correct me if I am wrong but no CPU can match the 360's, right? (Triple Core Xenon Processor or something like that)

P.S. #2
    Another plus for a comp is...you can play next-gen games with past-gen hardware! So...if all you want is to be able to play life cycles of games without any hardware upgades (or minor ones) then a PC is again...for you!!! This is ofcourse...to save money.

10. sam805236

sam805236 Guest

Remember, the PC is also very vulnerable to viruses, worms, and hackers which the console is not. The ease of starting up a console and playing cannot be matched by the PC. Also, most PS3 games will probably incorporate 5.1 surround sound and will support Hi-Def.

PC had the big advantage 5 years ago but the margin is now narrowing.

11. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

XBox 360 when it first came out had some issues getting worms and viruses. Not to mention you can always run Linux which is A LOT less vulnerable and supports a lot of games. Also, if you're semi-smart you can keep your system running clean.

To me it's the other way around. I rip all my games to my hard drive and use deamon tools to mount them. I also always leave my computer on. If I had a console I would not leave it on. It takes me just a couple cliks to start up a pc game rather than inserting the disk hitting the power botton waiting for the game to start. Much faster than a console :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2006
  12. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

1. i think that pc gaming is only for those who know better, the masses are out buying consoles because they get better advertisement. m$ spent £4million on the 360 when it first launched in the uk i have never seen a tv ad for nvidia, ati or a high end pc maker , and until that changes pc games sales will continue to drop. in the past 10 years since the psx was released pc games sales have dropped to less than 10% of what they were. see the pattern? (in the uk)
    2. also i think that it will take a while for pcs the over take the ps3 (x7 cores?) as the rumours are it will have a 10 year life cycle which at £400 i think is quite cheap, if its true,
    3. hl1 had more impact than the 2nd in its day as at that time most fps were doom clones where you had no feeeling of connection to the npcs that you were supposed to be saving. hl2 was a better game but but it was like retracing old steps

13. josh99

josh99 Regular member

people people people stop writing long texts..
    and s3a i think your judgment was wrong about hl2 and hl
    and before telling you my judgment i want to say that i played [bold]HL[/bold] alot!! you cant imagine but i would say [bold]HL2[/bold] is really better not just graphics sound the game play everything

if i had some extra-money i would do some modification with my pc get some new perfect things if i really wanna play games

14. s3a

s3a Guest

josh99, lol...u disagree with me? Well...guess what...you wrote exactly what I said meaning you are agreeing with me...lol...ur contradicting urself.

15. josh99

josh99 Regular member

lol i though you find hl is better then hl2?

16. TheGhurk

TheGhurk Guest

Well I ain't gonna rabble on i'll just put in straight:
    PC vs Consoles - PC wins

HL1 vs HL2 - Both are great games and are equal in their greatness, HL1 was revolutionary

17. s3a

s3a Guest

What you ppl dont understand is that Half-Life being revolutionary doesnt make it better then Half-Life 2! It just means it was the best of its time but sill when ultimately compared, I say HL2 is better and was increased in every single way! HL2 episode one, I assume will be like the last chapter in Half-Life 2 which was my favourite part of the game!! In Episode 1, you will be with Alyx alot, which is something very good indeed! What I do not like about the first Half-Life is that there is no nice storyline such as Alyx sneaking you in a base, there is only cops (that all look like the same guy) that talk to you!!! I haven't finsished HL1 but I just need to know, is Eli in that game? Do you see him?

18. DMW

DMW Regular member

Not quite, episode 2 is out later this year aswell.

I absolutley loved half-life and half-life 2. Half-life 2 is the better of the 2, but they had a good basis to build on and a hell of a lot of new technology to work with!

I never finished the first half-life, but I have restarted playing the source version just for old times sake and am determined to finish it this time.

I personally can't pick a favourite, although I'd have to say half-life 2 "feels" better, but again, i think thats down to it having a strong basis to build on, experience and a newer engine.

half-life 1 + 2 = classics!! imo

19. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

In a recent PC magazine Microsoft is working hard to bring advertisment back to PC. They showed the new stands that will be set up all over the world and will also have DEMO pc's just like they do for the systems so poeple can play on them. The stands for the games say " Runs on WINDOWS".

How do you think it will take awile? They can throw the same technology that they threw in the PC in a matter of weeks after throwing it in a PS3. Then they will find ways to only improve it and make the products more powerful. There is no way it will last 10 years. Right after its made they will start making a new system. I give it 5 max. Just my thoughts..

Last edited: Aug 17, 2006
  20. s3a

s3a Guest

Quote:"I never finished the first half-life, but I have restarted playing the source version just for old times sake and am determined to finish it this time."

P.S.
    I don't think I explained myself clearly...I DO know what a engine is.