1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pcanywhere

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by basquiat, May 4, 2006.

1. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

ok i have a second pc on wireless network that i leave certain programs running on 24/7, sometimes i need to jump on it to deal with things, what i want to do is be able to control all programs and such from my main pc so i can just have that one tucked away in the closet without needing monitor/keyboard/mouse and so on...i am pretty sure pcanywhere will do this for me but i was wondering if there is a simple way to do this right from windows xp?? any advice appreciated.

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Not really, you'll always need some kind of external software to connect to it.

3. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

i figured so but allways disable all that remote crap everytime i reinstall windows so thought id make sure i couldnt do it through that first, thanx.

4. prodigy42

prodigy42 Regular member

If your using windows xp PRO, you can right click on my computer, go to properties, and go to the remote tag. enable the remote desktop. Check the little box that says allow users to connect remotely to this computer. From there, in any windows xp system, and windows 2k3 go the start->programs-accessories->communications->remote desktop connection. Then a box will pop up, enter in the local IP. This program runs off of port number 3389.

5. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

wow that sounds easy...gonna try it a bit later on, thank you sir, will let you know how it goes.

6. prodigy42

prodigy42 Regular member

reply back if u want to transfer files between computers via remote desktop connection.

7. basquiat

basquiat Regular member

i have already been swapping files with just a mapped network drive, and remote desktop works perfect, and its easy so im glad i didnt bother with pcanywhere, thanx for all the help!

8. gamer17

gamer17 Regular member

i have a question with remote desktop. i have recently tried to connect to my computer remotely from my cousins computer at his house. but it wont let me. i have the remote thing enabled so people can connect to it. but it still wont let me. i have a actiontech modem, qwest 256k dsl, a netgear RP114 router, and im running windows xp pro. what am i doing wrong.

9. prodigy42

prodigy42 Regular member

sounds like you need to forward port 3389 to the local ip address of the computer. (192.168.) If you do not know the router's ip addess, go to the command prompt and type ipconfig/all then press enter. Look at the default gateway. That would be the router's ip address. Enter that into a browser, then navigate to the portforward section. Very easy on just about any router.

Last edited: May 6, 2006
  10. gamer17

gamer17 Regular member

k what should i put for the server ip address

11. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

The best Remote application I found and need no knowledge of remote access to configure (and FREE) is logmein.com

You can add computers to remote from anywhere, but you need to be at their house to add a computer to your network so it can add there IP.

Trust me, it's the easiest Remote program...ever!

12. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

I'd personally rather stick with Radmin ;)

13. larytet

larytet Member

or goMyPlace see this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/341965

this application is crafted for low bandwidth connections and works for NATed and firewalled machines.
    the project is available for Win32/Linux/Mac

requires installation only on one side of the connection, let's say remote machine. the other side is just a browser which does not have to have any .NET/Java capabilities.

this remote access terminal allows to browse file syste and execute commands in command shell via your favorite internet borwser.

Features
    - GPL license (free, open source)
    - command shell (MSDOS on Win32 systems and Bash on Linux/Mac)
    - file system browsing
    - three levels of file access - public (Universe), friends, private
    - admin access
    - looks like regular HTTP server
    - can run in standalone HTTP server mode
    - end-to-end encryption (not fully supported yet)
    - does not require to punch NAT
    - never accepts incoming connections. uses "dial back" idea. daemon connects back to the server (Proxy) with well known IP addres
    - works from behind firewalls and NATs (test proxy accepts conections ports 80,81,21,443)
    - HTTP tunnel makes the traffic undistinguishable from regular Internet browsing

Last edited: May 13, 2006