1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCI express? PCI? and AGP?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Liez4Love, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

I have been trying to research and understand as much as i can off the internet, but it is still so hard. i have had to learn everything about comps by myself, and i was wondering if some could explain what exactly they do, how they work, what i can and cant do with them , and stuff like that, ever since i was 12 years old i have had to teach myslef about comps, and this has been the best place to learn,, thanks guys, and also i was wondering if there are any classes or anything like that i could go to, i am 15 years old, plz let me know.,

2. Ecnal

Ecnal Member

I don't really know about any classes that you could take. I remember back in my High School days apart from Programming oriented computer clases, I did take a class that taught the basic structure of a computer, the logic behind it, etc. But, I live in Canada. Chances are, you'll end up having to teach yourself, which in my opinion, is the best way to learn about stuff. When I don't understand something, I proceed with the following steps: 1) I google my question, and look through at least 3 pages of results. 2)I use an online encylopaedia, such as http://en.wikipedia.org. (This is especially good for definitions.) 3) I post on a forum like Afterdawn. In your case, rather than copying and pasting a complicated definition for you, I suggest you go to www.wikipedia.com and preform a search. They explain things quite nicely.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

its called "the school of hard knocks". that is how i learned & still learning!!

4. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Ah yes, I don't know anyone who has ever graduated, I keep flunking.............LOL

There are several course available, one recognised one that is 'back to basics' is the compTIA A+ one.
    I am just going through that myself, as like yourself I am also 'self teaching' myself and alot of the 'basic' stuff I never knew is contained there....................

I am many years older than you, so it'll be a walk in the park for you....................age, don't you just love it...........LOL

5. p4_tt

p4_tt Active member

I have to agree teach yourself if you can, I’ve did two courses and found them to be of no help at all I’ve learned more on Afterdawn than two years at college. Lol am the same as baabaa i keep flunking still i have afterdawn and its free :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  6. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

I know you guys are telling the guy how to look for his answers but you could also just tell him. I guess I'll jus have to explain a bit and give a link lol. PCI-E, AGP and PCI are all types of expansion slots, menaing you can put a card of some sort such as a graphics card, tv tuner, sound card etc, into the slot. Now for Graphics cards AGP has been the most used, PCI-E is a new gen of graphics expansion and is the best for games right now. PCI is jus the original slot for cards as i mentioned above, it's ot too good for graphics though. Just remember AGP & PCI-E= Graphics Card, PCI= Extra BS e.g. Sound card, TV Tuner, crap graphics card, modem, extra USB ports. Hope you got the point. And now for the link http://www.tomshardware.com this site is very good for benhcmarks and components guides. As for training like Ecnal said, train yourself probe your pc and explore it, worled for me and the younger you are the quicker you'll learn all this stuff. Hope I was of any help.

7. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Hey, I am not young, and I learned quicker than when I was young. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  8. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

Thx guys, but as new as PCI-E is , should i get it? would there be enough cards in selection for PCI-E?

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

depends on the motherboard if it has pci/e or agp

10. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Also depends if you have enough money to blow, PCI-E hasn't got much of a range YET but will do soon. :)

11. Nicholi

Nicholi Member

PCI-E is fantastic, and there are a decent number of cards for it right now, considering its "newness," but I would wait to get it...let the manufacturers start to make more for PCI-E, let the prices come down, then start buying the heck out of it ;-)

Unless, of course, you have a ton of money to blow on anything that you want...if that's the case, then buy away now.

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

agp is 8x speed and pci-e is 16x speed...

dont forget you will need a pci-e mobo/psu/graphic card and like said there are plenty of products out now!

and dont forget SLI you put 2 graphic cards side by side at 2 lots of 256meg DDDR3, now thats a beast! but need SLI mobo and SLI psu! 6 pin connectors etc..

also i am self taught i spent my first days of knowing pc's at www.overclockers.com learning from the bios up! and case modding and water cooling overclocking ram/psu/mobo etc, all good fun and great learning from pros!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2005