1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCI Wireless card for wifi

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by twyphoon, Feb 25, 2007.

1. twyphoon

twyphoon Member

alright, i know someone can help me with this, because my searches on the internet have all been something that im not looking for. can someone please help me with this. my situation is this:

i have a desktop computer in my dorm room. i have a T1 LAN connection going to my computer. when i am at home, i have a PCI Wireless card installed so that I can use the wireless internet at my house. the only thing is that at school, the pci wireless card is rather useless. what i want to do is set it up so that the pci wireless card gives out a wireless signal to share my internet connection to other peripherals like my DS, PSP and my laptop. Can someone help me with this?

by the way, my desktop is running XP Pro SP2. ive heard that it can be done much easier with certain distros of linux, but i dont really have the time to mess with linux (would be my first time) nor do i have the drive space at the moment to put another OS on. thanks for the help!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  2. twyphoon

twyphoon Member

nevermind, ive found a solution, although its effectiveness, depending on what you want to do varies. for the lan connection i set it to share this connection with other users. then with the broadband wireless adapter i created an ad-hoc network and joined it with my laptop. in this situation, filesharing will become available if you set it on both computers and select files to share (you'll have to mess with your security and network connections to get them all). the first time i did it i had trouble sharing the internet with my laptop, but if you have any trouble doing so, you can use "set up a home or small office network" to modify the ad-hoc network. after then you're golden. enjoy.

EDIT: in my previous post i wanted to use the connection for my DS and PSP. although this will work for multiple laptops at once, for the DS and PSP, its probably better to just use the "hack" method for the nintendo usb wifi connector (mine is coming in the mail soon :))

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007