1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCI-X and PCI Cards

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by klassic, Apr 6, 2007.

1. klassic

klassic Regular member

I am looking at getting a new motherboard and it only has 1 PCI slot, but it has 2 PCI-X slots. My questions is how do I know if my current PCI cards will work in the PCI-X slot. From what I read the PCI card has to be keyed to allow 3.3 volt operation. I have no idea what that means.

The motherboard is an Asus M2N32-WS Pro. I am getting this for 50 bux from someone I know so please no links to other motherboards I should consider.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131026

The PCI cards in question are an old Belkin 54G Wireless Network Card (don't know model number offhand) and a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150.

Thanks in advance for the help. Everyone here is great.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  2. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

You will be able to install only one of your pci cards as the motherboard has only one pci slot.You can't install pci cards on pci-x slots and vice versa.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  3. klassic

klassic Regular member

This is from Wikipedia (I know its not always correct).
    I am not sure if you are confusing PCI-X with PCI-Express.

4. TY4ever

TY4ever Regular member

OOOPS!!!!I guess i just mistook the PCI-X you're talking about with PCI-Express.My bad,sorry.Then i should go and learn the difference myself.

Sorry again.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

klassic, look at the difference between the pci slot & the pci/x slots. notice the slot divider in the pci is towards the bottom of slot compared to the 1 in the pci/x slots which is at the top of the slots? see which of your 2 pci cards would appear to fit in the pci/x slot as that divider will prevent a pci card that doessn't have that notch there to fit in the slot.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...Force+590+SLI+ATX+Server+Motherboard+-+Retail