1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal Cinema GeForce FX 5200 WinDvr capture ??

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by DJW2003, Nov 12, 2003.

1. DJW2003

DJW2003 Member

Hello,
    I know how to capture using the WinDvr to SVCD, but is there anyway to set the Bitrate higher? It only lets me go up to 2200.
    Thanks,
    danCER

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes..You have to make your OWN template...Just Make a New Template and use "Mpeg2-Genaric" as the Video format and then set the Resolution to 480+480 and the Bitrate to what ever you want and save it as a New Template...I Use WinDVR 3.0 and I found that I get the Best Quality if I make a New Template and set it to "Mpeg2-Genaric" the Resolution to "720+480" and the Bitrate to "20,000kbs" and then capture My Movie useing this Template...The Resulting Captured File is of Extremely High Quality, then you Just use a High Quality Mpeg encoder Like Tmpgenc or CCE to encode the Captured file to SVCD...You will Get Much Much better Quality this way then you will get just captureing directly to SVCD at 2200kbs....Cheers

3. DJW2003

DJW2003 Member

Thanks so much for the reply. I definitely will give that a try. I had made a custom template before not using the Generic setting.
    I was about to give up on Windvr, and I recently used MainConcept's Mpeg Encoder to capture to SVCD with very good results.
    I will let you know how your solution worked for me.

4. DJW2003

DJW2003 Member

One last question---
    Which one is mpeg 2 generic?
    do you mean NTSC DVD?

thanks

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

No...In My Version which is Version 3.0 you have the choice of "Mpeg2 SVCD" "Mpeg2 DVD" and "Mpeg2 Genaric" the "Mpeg2 SVCD" setting will only allow you to set the Bitrate to something like 2200kbs, and the "Mpeg2 DVD" setting will only let you set the Bitrate to 9800kbs, but the "Mpeg2 Genaric" setting will allow you to set it up to the max of 20,000kbs.....Cheers

6. DJW2003

DJW2003 Member

Thanks for your help. I have WinDvr 2.0 and I have since upgraded to 3.0. I found the Mpeg 2-Generic and tested your settings---great!
    My only problem is that TMPGENC will not load my mpgs--it crashes each time.
    Any thoughts on that?

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes...The best way to Encode Mpeg files in tmpgenc is to Use DVD2AVI to Frameserve them to Tmpgenc...It is Pretty easy and the encodeing is about 15% faster frameserveing this way than Just encoding with Tmpgenc...
    OK..Download DVD2AVI from here :http://arbor.ee.ntu.edu.tw/%7Ejackei/dvd2avi/DVD2AVI_1.77.3.zip
    #1)First thing you do is go into the DVD2AVI folder and Copy and Paste the "DVD2AVI.vfp" file from the DVD2AVI folder into the Tmpgenc install Folder....
    #2)Now Run DVD2AVI and then Drag and Drop your Captured Mpeg2 file into the DVD2AVI window...You should now be able to see your File in the Window...
    #3)Now all you do is go to "File" to "Save Project" and then give the File a Name and save it...
    In a couple Minutes you will Have a File with a ".d2v" Extention and a Audio file with a ".mpa" or ".mp2" extention, Don"t Do anything with the Captured Mpeg file, Meaning do not re-name it or moove it or delete it untill after everything is Done with the encodeing....
    #4)Now Run Tmpgenc and Load the .D2V file in for the Video source and if you want you can add the Mpa file as the Audio source but it is better to Just encode the d2v file to just a Mpeg Video file and then Multiplex the Mpa audio file with the Mpeg2/SVCD Video file after you have encoded the D2v file to Mpeg because re-encodeing the audio isn"t good for the Quality....
    Well that is Basicly it, You just treat the D2V file like it was your Source video file and the Mpa file is the audio and encode to SVCD....Let me Know How it turns out and if you have any problems let me Know....Cheers___X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2003
  8. DJW2003

DJW2003 Member

What a fantastic reply, Minion! I am at work now but I definitely will give it a try later this eve.
    Thanks so much, I will let you know.

9. DJW2003

DJW2003 Member

Great---I did a quick capture with the Windvr 3 settings and used DVD2AVI and TMPGenc did not crash and got a terrific SVCD-
    Thanks!

10. Minion

Minion Senior member

I"m Glad it worked out good..This way takes Longer but the Final Quality is much better....Cheers