1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 47" LCD HDTV (47PFL7422D/37) Missing part of screen on side... Help with "scooting" the screen over?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Pnknjnk, May 15, 2009.

1. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

EDIT:
    So here's the little problem:
    [​IMG]
    It's actually not bad. If I can't fix this at all, 300 dollars for this colossal TV is a ludicrous steal.

Bearing that in mind though, I'd still really, really like to find a fix. The TV guy said that the control thing that is broken is a part of the actual LCD, but not the LCD itself. He told me it shouldnt get any worse and that it would be extremely expensive to replace - you'd just have to replace the whole panel.
    So. Good deal. he made back wasted moneys on trying to figure out the problem, apparently it had many others he fixed all of. Most of the TV is new/refurbished except the panel.

Anyhow. He told me playing with the factory settings is dangerous and can cause the TV to stop working. I don't know where to find factory adjust menus on this TV, or any adjustment menus, for that matter, but there must be some way I can squish up the picture and move it to the left as the picture would show, to at least minimize the cut off area?
    It's just a few inches, and as you can see in the picture, only the last two letters towards the edge of the screen are cut off - it isnt killer. It is a tad annoying, though.

Any help from this point would be greatly appreciated.

Original post: (mostly irrelevant now)
    Hey. This is a huge TV. I'm thinking the loss is like 2% screen estate.

I'm wondering if I can just kind of squish the picture in at all with any hardware/software, and if losing that much on a huge widescreen TV would be a big killer for HUDs. I don't think it's too big a risk, at that price, honestly... And I'm pretty sure the PSP doesn't even stretch to a full screen so it should be fine. The 3 inches on the right are dead, or something. I lost the pic. he says the rest is fine.

Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. dailun

dailun Active member

The problem is, that problems like that never get better, only worse. You could turn it on someday (soon) and have no picture at all.

What you haven't said is whether you have no video for that portion of the screen and the picture that should be there is missing (probably bad panel) or that the picture is squished into the remainder of the screen (probably bad logic board).

Unless you know how to fix TVs and have access to cheap replacement parts, it's probably not a good deal unless $300.00 means nothing to you.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  3. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

Apparently, one of the control things on the panel was fried in an unrepairable way, but the rest of the control thing is supposed to be completely fine. The TV is working great, I picked it up and it doesn't interfere much at all.
    But it does a little. I can't see the last hair of the HP bar when I'm playing kingdom hearts. It's not a horrible pest, but I'd love to find a work around.

I played around with a projection screen TV that had screen adjustments in a factory calibration menu type thing.

I'm wondering if LCD tv's tend to have similar things, and if I could change the "default centre" and squish the picture and move it over, outside the black zone. If that were possible, that would be amazing. Tomorrow I'll look up and post the model information more carefully, because I'm sleepy and want to play more kingdom hearts.

But for now it's a phillips 47inch widescreen LCD TV.

Also, I need a cheap stand. No stand with it. It's leaned up on a dresser. :(

4. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

Bump. Changed the thread a whole bunch, and the title, so I'm kicking this up to the top.

5. dailun

dailun Active member

Looks like the logic board or driver is gone/going out. There's nothing you can do to adjust this.

Fix it or wait until it dies.

The logic board is the 2nd most expensive component in the TV (next to the panel.

There is also a possibility that the panel is going as well.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  6. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

So you think, with the information I've given, I may have been mislead?

That this TV has a good likelyhood of failing very soon?

7. jcalton88

jcalton88 Regular member

It could, or it could not. There is no definite way of knowing. But problems like that could mean the end or it may just stay that way. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to squish the screen any, some tv's have a calibration menu to let you move it over some, but some don't have that option altogether. You could try searching ebay or something for someone with a tv like that for sale. I know when Circuit city was shutting down they had a ton of tv's that the screen was cracked or other little things, the tv's worked but the crack made it impossible to watch, they were selling them for $100 a piece.

You might be able to find one that someone bought like that and is selling, and use it for parts.