1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Joker_15, Apr 7, 2005.

1. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hey,

WHAT ? Replace Verbatim for Memorex ?

That's like saying I'll exchange your pure spring water for Javex :)

Ain't gonna happen here :)

Just get rid of this damn Philips piece of trash drive :)

I told Dell Crap Support, if the technician arrives here with an other Philips drive, he's not getting in the house, it's that simple !

Just read this 500 pages thread :)

I have 2 NEC drives and can't complain 1 sec !

My 2 cents worth...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  2. smigs

smigs Guest

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS HAD TROUBLE WITH THE PHILIPS DVD 8631

Try this

1. UPDATE FIRMWARE
    2. Try different brand of media
    3. Burn at "4" speed
    4. Try DIFFERENT SOFTWARE

3. Raptor_74

Raptor_74 Member

Here is an update to my situation. After about 4 hours on the phone with Dell support and 3 Philips drives sent to my house I received a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B. Not too sure how this stacks up in comparison but I am going to be using that drive along with another PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8701 that was sent to me. I am sending them back my DVD drive so now I have two DVD=-RW's. If anyone can enlighten me about the HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B model I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

4. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

Never heard of this model, but it's probably a Dell OEM of the LG-4163b or the LG-4167B.

I have only heard good of those drives.

I bought a NEC-3550a but my bext choice was a LG-4167b, so I tihnk your in good hands !

Personnaly anything beats this damn Philips DVD8631 elto Crapo :)

5. Raptor_74

Raptor_74 Member

Thanks for the feedback...we'll see how things go. I initially was having issues when burning a DVD. The burn always came out successful however it took about 2.5 hours to burn. I was and still am using Nero 7. Once I replaced the hardware with the replacement Dell sent the issue was the same. I baselined my system and the burning speed is as expected (approx 10 minutes) for a DVD copy. Not too sure if anyone knows if this is a DMA setting because the software settings looked good and are the same after the machine has been baselined. I have heard of this before from other people but could only say welcome to the club and not provide any reasoning.

Can you?

6. gstone

gstone Member

Hate to repost, but no one seemed to answer this, so here goes:

I also have this drive, but it is not responding at all. I can push the eject button, nothing. I manually opened the drive door, and pushed and pulled, but could not get the motor to activate.

I tried reflashing, and saw the light on the drive face light up, still no go when you push the eject button.

Checked my system setting in Windows XP, and it says the drive is working ok.

Any thoughts?

Dell Dimension 9100, about 7 months old. No warranty from Dell either, just had the 90 days.

7. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi gstone,

Are you talking about the Philips DVD8631 ?

If you are, remove it from your PC, open the window and throught it as far as you can, then buy yourself a decent drive.

My 2 cents...

8. ytoldi

ytoldi Member

In response to gstone's question, my Philips DVD8631 did the exact same thing. I was able play with it some to finally get it to eject again, but it didn't matter because it no longer would read a disc. My Dell warrenty had also run out. Anyway, I bought a new NEC ND3550A off the internet for about $50 and installed it this past weekend. Everything is running fine now...so far. I had never installed an internal drive before, but it was very easy. Instructions for hooking it up were on the disc that came with it...luckily I had another drive that worked so I could read it before I started.

I also figured the $50 I spent on the new drive was still a lot cheaper than the extended warrenty.

9. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hey ytoldi,

You have my vote on that :)

I also bought a NEC-3550a which is a nice drive.

I still have the NEC-3450a (Dell OEM) that Dell replaced the Philips DVD8631 with. (Look thought this thread for the full details...)

Both NEC drives works real well !

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  10. marsue

marsue Guest

I am one of the frustrated, desperate customers of Dell and am on my 2nd crap Phillips 8631. I waited in today to receive a replacement for the 2nd faulty DVD-RW drive. I was told more than once that I would be receiving the NEC 3450A optical drive. No surprise to all of you disgruntled Dell customers that another PHILLIPS has arrived. I spent nearly one hour on the telephone to Dell's Call centre and was told that I should not have been told that I would receive the NEC drive, as this would not fit my machine!!! I said that this was not so and that I would not accept the Phillips drive. I was passed onto a Manager who went on to tell me that the Phillips used to be a bad drive, but this had been overcome and I should be happy with this drive. I told the Manager that I would not accept the Phillips that I was promised an NEC-3450A and that is what I wanted. She continued to assure me that the problems had been overcome in the Phillips and that Dell used most of these drives and very few of the NEC drive. She pressed me to try the Phillips drive out in my computer, but I refused to do this and told her how unhappy I was will Dell service. My warranty is due to run out so I was not prepared to fit this sub-standard drive into my machine for it to go wrong again. The Manager agreed to re-order me another drive, but she could not be sure that this would be the NEC as Dell did not stock many of these now. If another Phillips drive arrives she said that I should accept this. So we shall see what arrives with the courier. I agree with other members of the forum that the less stressful thing to do is to go out and buy one myself. This will be my last try at getting what I want. Down with DELL!

11. mega6

mega6 Member

hi,

dell changed my 8631 about a month ago, and the new one appears to be okay. the technician said it was 'probably just dust on the laser lens'. anyway, the problem was sorted, but i had asked for the NEC to replace the Philips, and this request was not seriously entertained - i thought that was a heavy-handed attitude: 'the customer is always wrong'? but i am keeping an attentive eye on the replacement Philips; i would have been happier with the NEC

12. marsue

marsue Guest

Today I received another courier delivery from Dell. This time they had packed for me a NEC Model ND-3530A. I have tried to find out about it on the internet, but it does not seem to be mentioned much. Anyone know about it, or can I assume that all NEC are better than the Phillips 8631? There are no instructions, or a installation disc with the NEC drive, so I am hoping that I can just fix it into the machine and it will go??? Any information will be much appreciated.

13. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hey,

You have won the Jackpot !

I have a Dell OEM NEC-3450a (Replacing this crap Philips DVD8631) and purchased a NEC-3550a and cannot be more happy, with both drives.

You should be a happy customer too !

I have read the NEC-3450a is the Dell OEM of a NEC-3500a

Now for this NEC-3530a, might be a Dell OEM of the 3550, man you are in business !!!!

14. marsue

marsue Guest

"You have won the Jackpot !
    I have a Dell OEM NEC-3450a (Replacing this crap Philips DVD8631) and purchased a NEC-3550a and cannot be more happy, with both drives. You should be a happy customer too ! I have read the NEC-3450a is the Dell OEM of a NEC-3500a Now for this NEC-3530a, might be a Dell OEM of the 3550, man you are in business" !!

I am pleased about this Cougar, I was not sure about the model number, I asked for the NEC 3450A. It took a "polite" battle and Dell again sending me another Phillips unit, but I refused, spoke to the manager and told her I would not accept the Phillips. She was not pleased. But yes, I am happy as my warranty runs out in a couple of days so wanted to be sure to install a better drive. I hope that I can get it working - I have never fitted a DVD drive before!

15. mega6

mega6 Member

"I was not sure about the model number, I asked for the NEC 3450A. It took a "polite" battle and Dell again sending me another Phillips unit, but I refused, spoke to the manager and told her I would not accept the Phillips. She was not pleased. But yes, I am happy as my warranty runs out in a couple of days so wanted to be sure to install a better drive. I hope that I can get it working - I have never fitted a DVD drive before! "

try < http://club.cdfreaks.com/ > - they are a friendly bunch and very knowledgeable

16. marsue

marsue Guest

Thanks mega6. I have visited the CD freak website and joined. I have posted a question there, so look forward to a reply. Much appreciated.

17. UGBIT

UGBIT Member

Just tell them that you have done some research on the drive and found that a lot of people have had some major problems with it. If you read through this entire thread you'll find some good points to hit them with :)

18. marsue

marsue Guest

I received NEC model ND3530A and have fitted this in successfully - so much easier than I had anticipated. So I am very happy with the outcome. My Dell year's warranty has now expired, so I don't suppose that I will have much to do with them now.

Good result though - well done Dell for doing the right thing and not off loading another Phillips drive.

19. chanchan

chanchan Member

thank you all.... thought i was goind mad arguing with PC World about the phillips dvd8631 which is a complete pile of crap. all pc support lines shoud be told of the problems by phillips and stop people wasting money on phone calls to tech support. Hope i get my NEC very soon...

20. dylan10

dylan10 Guest

Hi,

Joined this a bit late and i have read almost every comment from day 1.
    I have the offending writer bought in conjunction with Dimension 8400, been using mostly 8 speed DVD-R discs, with mostly positive results.
    However now I have started using 16 speed DVD-R discs in conjunction with Nero v 6.0 my drive only wants to burn them at 4 speed???
    I have downloaded GD30 and flashed drive and now it still will only burn at 8 speed!!!

I am doing something wrong here?