1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Joker_15, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Try Pioneer too. Why is buying online a problem? That way you can be sure about what drive you are rly getting :)

2. Messinge

Messinge Member

Ripper, thanks for the reply.

I'd prefer not to buy this online because I'd like to have it right now. And I want to buy from someplace where I am familiar with the return policy (and can get my money back RIGHT NOW if it doesn't work)

:) I'm not very patient.

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well you're just going to have to try the local PC stores, and look out for the good drives.

4. drdr

drdr Member

I have a Dell 5000 which also has the philips DVD+-RW DVD8631, it is about 2 years old (out of guarantee), I cannot remember ever using the DVD, but want to now - and I cant even get it to open the little door! There seems to be power there as the light comes on for a second when I power it up. I have taken the thing out and tried to open it with some help from a screwdriver - but I failed to get the front off. Having read all the previous moans and groans I envy you all - most of you had a working version at some point - albeit badly. Has anyone had similar problems? and should I just go out and buy a replacement (different make).
    You would think that Philips would give up manufacturing these drives with all the complaints listed here. Not good for their reputation.

5. geddoe27

geddoe27 Member

huzzah!! upgrading using the GD31(?) driver solved the problem for me!!

6. koekert

koekert Member

This information I got from a former Philips employee.
    The Philips DVDRW8631 is the same drive as the Benq DW1620

These are common used at Dell pc’s.
    Problem is that the installed current firmware CX13 can not be upgraded without flashing.
    You need the BenQ flasher to do this ( http://www.megaupload.com/?d=MZKGASDP )
    Be sure when using this the files BQFlasher.exe and wnaspi32.dll are in the same folder.
    This flasher ask witch firmware must be installed, try first the Philips (unzipped) version Gd30
    ( http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3G0ZYQE6 ) doesn’t work, try the BenQ version B7W9 (unzipped) version ( http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Q25WTCUW )

Worked perfect at the drive I use.

7. mega6

mega6 Member

i've had no problem with this dvd player since dell came round and replaced it about 6 months ago - 1 for 1. the tech said the old player probably had 'dust on the laser' and recommended a shot of canned air from time to time

!

8. SAFCMark

SAFCMark Member

can anyone confirm whether this dvd writer is dual layer compatible...cheers

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Why are you even considering buying one of these drives? They're very old now and pretty crap.
    Read this..
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/485860

10. SAFCMark

SAFCMark Member

I already have it. However looking into writing dual layer dvds but don't know whether it is compatible

cheers

oh and I've had no problems with it and copied loads of cd's and dvd's

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

12. HrbAndy

HrbAndy Member

I found that there r quite a few PHILIPS 8631 on some auction websites and they r really cheap... fortunately i got this forum and this thread. thx a lot!

13. Reku

Reku Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2007
  14. kdmicro

kdmicro Member

Thanks for posting all the probs with the Philips DVD+/-RW 8631 Burner from Dell. After googling the issue I had with it (incomplete burning with Nero, My DVD Plus, etc.)I reached your web site. Thsi forum cited several issues with the burner. Only had 12 days left on my warranty to boot, so luckily got the call into tech support in time. They offered to send a tech over & replace with NEC burner (I asked for NEC from recommendations from this forum. They didn't hassle me at all & noted there had been issued with that burner which they no longer sell.

Thanks again for your help!

15. mega6

mega6 Member

gosh, the 8631 must be well out of date by now - i would be extremely surprised if Dell were still installing it in new desktops?

16. rnmina

rnmina Member

Hi,
    I am not happy and need help please. A computer tech just left my home with my broken NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Dell) from my E drive after inserting this one: PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8801.
    I can burn music again, but on playback I hear static and garbled words. I googled the drive and am asking if I have to download and install driver. Dell...arrrgh. I have replaced 4 monitors since buying this junk heap. My warranty is up tomorrow; the tech, I was with on mobile yesterday, did tell me that my case will remain open, until the drive works again.
    thanks for any help you can give me.
    sass

17. Kennish

Kennish Member

My Philips DVD8631 burns single layer DVD's OK, but I am unable to burn dual layer DVD's (just made three coasters). I tried two different software (Ulead Video Studio and ImgBurn) to burn dual layer DVD's and I get errors with both as soon as the writing process begins.

After reading through this thread, it would seem there are three possible courses of action:

1. Swithing to a higher quality media such as Verbatim DL DVD's (note that I am presently using Memorex DL DVD's however I have never had any problems with Memorex single layer DVD's).

2. Converting my Philips 8631 firmware (GD30) to the Benq 1620 firmware as per:
    http://www.the-predator.com/dell/firmware.html#5-1-6

3. Purchasing a new DVD burner (such as NEC).

I guess I will try option 1 first (if this isn't the problem, I'll just end up with 10 more blank DVD's). As for option 2, not sure if the crossflashing suggestion is outdated or not. Is this still suggested even with GD30 firmware? And lastly, as for the option 3, is it relatively easy to take out my old DVD burner and put in a new one? I have a DELL Dimension XPS Gen 4.

Thank you all in advance for any feedback.

18. mega6

mega6 Member

hi,

can the 8631 handle dual layer discs, i have no idea? i have had no problem with this hardware since Dell swopped the old one for a new one

a BIG problem i do find is software conflict - one software will use the 8631 and another software will try to cut in and abort the burn: or two or more softwares will compete for a burn (or a play), potentially crashing everything

i have already uninstalled one software component to minimise this software clash

thanks

19. Kennish

Kennish Member

My Philips DVD8631 was shipped with my Dell computer on May 9th, 2005. Ric, do you recall if your Philips DVD8631 was older or newer than that?

20. Delljunk

Delljunk Member

I bought a DELL 8400 back in early 2005, apparently when Dell was using the poorly performing Philips DVD 8631 (but I didn't know it). I have only used the burner a handful of times, but a couple of months ago wanted to burn some music. Well the drive wouldn't open. The light flashes for a moment and that's it. My blood pressure rises just hearing the name DELL based on other issues that left me wanting to scream each time I had to deal with Dell in the past. Now a message pops up from Dell Support saying my current version of DVD burner software may cause system instability and recommends updating to GD30 which I've done, but the Dell message keeps reappearing, and nothing has changed with the drive - still can use it.

Of course, now I'm trying to figure out what to do and have been used to calling a HelpDesk at work for problems. So I'm tech challenged. I downloaded the WNDW Flash and B7WP.CVT, but get stuck when I point the Flash to B7wp.cvt. I message appears that says Check Sum not matched!!. I don't know what this is.

Is it better to simply buy a new burner? Is there somewhere at shows how to physically install one?

I'd never buy from Dell again, unless they put a quality and customer service and tech support satisfaction guarantee on their products. Even though I had paid extra for the customer/tech support, it was a joke.