1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR 880 says 'no disc'

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by Baz63, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Baz63

Baz63 Member

I've had the philips dvdr 880 for 18 months. Recently, whenever I put a dvd of any kind in it, it says 'no dvd' and I can't play it.Is this a complete breakdown or is there a solution?

The laser is regularly cleaned.
    Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  2. Idle

Idle Member

"The laser is regularly cleaned" quite likely you inadvertently answered your own question.

Cleaning the laser is rarely needed and should be pretty much a last resort -- it's much too easy to move a laser head out of alignment or otherwise damage it.

I have optical devices that are five and more years old and never been cleaned -- still working fine.

3. Baz63

Baz63 Member

It tranpires this is a very common problem on the Philips' DVDRs and is apparantly a quality control issue. So common they have arranged a courier to pick it up today to be repaired even though the warranty expired 6 months ago. One letter 3 days ago and the courier is on its way. No argument at all. They seem to have a department devoted to this problem. Crap product, good customer services.

4. carlske

carlske Guest

I have had the same problem could you forward me a copy of the letter andwhere you sent it to as they wont listen to me

thanks

Carl

5. Baz63

Baz63 Member

Go to:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpproduct_selector.pl?scy=GB&slg=ento contact Philips with your problem;
    or ring them at 0870 900 9070. They will provide you with a reference number and ask you to write to them with a receipt. They should arrange a courier fairly quickly.
    The email read:
    With regards to your query we can advise that in the second year Philips investigate each individual case, so there is only a one year warranty with this unit, however as a good will gesture we look in to the case in the second year.
    In order to enable us to investigate your case we must request that you forward a copy of your purchase receipt/proof of purchase and a covering letter explaining the fault to the Philips Head Office.
    Please forward this information to us at:
    Philips Consumer Electronics
    The Philips Centre
    Guildford Business Park
    Guildford
    Surrey
    GU2 8XH
    Upon receipt of the required information we will endeavour to deal with your case as quickly as possible.In order to aid the speed with which we can deliver a response, we request that you label your correspondence with reference number...

6. carlske

carlske Guest

Thanks Baz
    UNfortunately its been that long and a house move since I have seen the original receipt so I dont really know what to do Ive tried a firmware update but still no joy .
    The thing is Ive never used it as a recorder it was a tuner for my plasma.
    If any one has details of a fix I would be much obliged
    PS sorry for the abrupt previous I was in the office

7. Baz63

Baz63 Member

I lost my receipt as well but having bought it on the internet I had a copy of the correspondence in my shopping folder.

Perhaps a copy of the relevant bank/credirt card statement or perhaps the shop could help you out with a letter confirming purchase?

8. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

make some static electricity on the DVD when the DVD player recorder reads empty disk you know there is recording on the DVD for mine. Works great!

Use the numbers on the unit ask, if you filled out the registration card that came with it they will have the info.

9. ringouzel

ringouzel Member

similar probs with 880 and fully concur with previous author who said good service crap product..thanks to this forum i managed to contact philps and am now arranging for them to come and pick up recorder despite it being 17 months old..thanks to all for info..thanks to philips for being honourable enough to fix their cockups for free outside the normal 12 months and huge thanks to my lord buddha for keeping me calm when trying to locate the receipt... to move on somewhat,i have noticed something saying that you can download updates for these machines. is that true or have i misread it. if it is true can anyone give me more info please..ta muchly ...be lucky dave

10. Baz63

Baz63 Member

11. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

was thinking the 880 was the one they replaced with
    the the DVDR 985- we purchased about three or four years ago.

If so the repair shop wouldn't even work on the 880. they just told us we would get a replacement in the mail.

then we found out the replacement-DVDR-985's laser was bad (third time taking that one in) waiting for replacement. ( all of the 985's)they replaced that, local repair shop. Having trouble again with the empty disk. been out of the shop for a few months this time. the philips support told us un like the dvd in your computer the DVDR set top needs static electricity to work properly. ours needs to go to the shop again, it takes so long as well as hard to find shop that work on them we are making the static electricity in order to read out DVD's. getting worse almost every time we want to play a recorded or any DVD or add to a DVD+RW. Took one we have to a shop last time in, after two weeks we clled, they said they don't work on these. the manual or book they need coast to much. LOL had to call Philips to get local repair places, called a few and no deal. hate to have to mail it in for repair so keep making the
    static electricity as long as it will keep working.
    what a mess. Buy something and expect it to work LOL

12. carlske

carlske Guest

How are you making the static electricity to make it work? Whats the theory behind it?

13. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

scoot on the carpet, rub head with a wool cloth. brothers and I use to try to shock each other when we we kids. Put something in the dryer a lil longer than usual. wool or silk or both together.

oh, holding the DVD in your hand.

have to go to Philips support for tech. stuff.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  14. ringouzel

ringouzel Member

thanks for the info baz....what type of adjustment or possible enhancement can these downloads make..and do you just copy it to a cd then play it on the recorder,or am i being incredibly thick here. interested in all comments, (about the recorder and downloads that is, not about my thickness or otherwise please. that is beyond question.)

15. carlske

carlske Guest

Hi I tried the firmware update, the update worked fine but it didnt solve my 'no disc' problem - cant remember where I downloaded it from either sorry.

16. hoolyuk

hoolyuk Member

My 824 lasted 3 months until it refused to read DVD's. Finding any reference to the fact that the model ever existed can only be found in Italian.

Do NOT buy Philips.

17. ringouzel

ringouzel Member

further to report on 17 month old faulty philips 880 dvd recorder. i am now expecting the return of my recorder. the people in the workshop tell me that a new laser has been fitted. if this is indeed the case then philips need to seriously think about changing their laser sourcing. thank you to philips for being man enough to hold their hands up and for fixing the problem outside the original 12 month warranty period. having said that though i am given to understand that there is such a thing (in the uk at least) called a diminishing guarantee. this means that the object bought should last a reasonable amount of time under normal use. (about 5 years for something like this)i was told this by a sales manager but he added that it was not common knowledge and that both manufactures and retailers alike would prefer to keep it that way. i was disappointed by the atidude of the staff i dealt with at the workshop who i found to be not very helpful or knowledgeable, indeed i gained the distinct impression that i was spoiling their day by ringing them. i hasten to add that i believe them to be a seperate company to philips but cannot be sure. once again full marks to philips for fixing the machine, however, it would have been much better if they had made the damn thing properly in the first place. thanks again to the people in this forum without whose advice i would probably still be stamping up and down in a rage instead of getting it fixed. THANK YOU....dave