1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR70 Problem

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by y2drew, Feb 1, 2005.

1. y2drew

y2drew Member

I can't see any references to this problem before, but I could be wrong. I bought the DVDR70 just under a year ago and everything was going fine. I read that the firmware upgrade improves M3 quality and lower, so I upgraded...can you see it coming? Now I have a problem with the recording modes.
    For instance, once I started recording in M3 (3 hour) and the disc ran out after 1 hour 20. Just by looking at the quality I can tell that it stated in M3 , then after a few minutes it switched to M1 during the recording (on it's own, without stopping it). The menu says 1h 20m in M3 and there's no more room. It has also happened using M2 and M6, but I guess it's all modes under M1.
    It's happened on different discs, so it's not that.

Hope you understand the information I've given and any help would be appreciated!

I haven't contacted Philips yet (that's the next step). Does anyone know what they'll do, because the firmware caused it. Will they replace it, try to fix it or just blame me for upgrading?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  2. JimLely

JimLely Member

What version firmware is it? The last upgrade that Philips had done was circa July 2004. If it's the firmware you can always "downgrade" to an earlier firmware (if you have an earlier version on CD).

3. y2drew

y2drew Member

Unfortunately this is the first upgrade I've gone (6.4 I think), so I've only got the latest one on CD. I didn't know you could downgrade, but this may be what Philips tell me to do (by sending me a CD with an older version on) when I contact them. Good idea.

Or does anyone know where I can download an older firmware?

4. JimLely

JimLely Member

5. y2drew

y2drew Member

Thanks very much for the link, I'll downgrade and post how it went.

Edit: I can't find a older firmware for the DVDR70...could you post a direct link if there is one. I could just be blind.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005