1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVDR75 review and performance

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by renderman, Mar 28, 2004.

1. renderman

renderman Guest

Hi All,

After a big hassle with the CyberHome DVR 1500, I sent it back and ordered the Philips DVDR75 from 6ave.com for $337.01 (shipping incl.) It has not arrived yet, so I can't review it at this time. After several weeks of frustration, I'm like anxious to get the Philips.

I am interested to hear from others about this recorder. Is there any tray lockup? Any disc skipping or stutter? Excess heat? How 'bout disc compatability? Audio/Video quality? Auto chapter insert? Etc., Etc.

Thanks to any and all who respond...

Cheers!

2. KOOLBREW

KOOLBREW Member

Renderman, did you have to download the firmware on the Philips site for the dvdr75 or did it come with the latest firmware installed?

3. ret27m40

ret27m40 Member

I had to download the firmware for my philips, altho I was having zero problems with my unit I went ahead and loaded it, I think it was 45MB or something like that. Still worked exellent after it uploaded.
    1. NO HEAT issues :)
    2. Compatable with brand name and el-cheapo meaida :)
    3. Copies play in my pioneer, apex and computer dvd drives :)
    4. Has NEVER locked up at all :)
    5. Unit is much quieter than the cyberhome in all operations.
    I cant say enough good things about this unit it is AWESOME :)
    I hope you have as good as luck as me, altho im sure you will.

4. KOOLBREW

KOOLBREW Member

Well,ret27m40, I haven't ordered it yet but I'm this close. You have no problems, that's obvious. I'm going to wait to see if Renderman has any problems this weekend and if not, I'm taking the step. It's really cheap at 6ave.com. Thanks for the info and I'll probably be here with other questions after I order.

5. 4hairleft

4hairleft Guest

Since people are moving over here from the Cyberhome nightmare, Tweeter.com has the DVDR75 for $299. Free shipping.

6. cath1979

cath1979 Member

thanks alot! I ordered mine at www.6ave.com this morning for $331.50...I did not know Tweeter was selling it for $299.00 including shipping---well I'm out the $32.50...Better than the $449.00 + tax + shipping at Circuit City online....That's all...

Sony DVD+R's all the way...
    Catherine

7. renderman

renderman Guest

Have had limited time to "play" with my new Philips, but here is what I have to report so far......

Received my unit from 6ave.com. EXCELLENT shipping and packing from this Company. Also, recorder was well packed from the factory. Composite video cable, audio cable, component video cable, line cord, antenna cable, remote/batteries, and blank DVD+RW disc were included. NO SVHS cable is provided.

1. Have NOT yet checked or downloaded any firmware update, but I intend to do so.
    2. CANNOT lock-up unit even if I try!
    3. NO excessive heat issues!
    4. When recording to end of disc, unit shuts off. Power up and disc is read, select menu icon and hit play....and there she goes! Leave disc in overnite, and NO PROBLEM ejecting or playing. Eject disc while playing at any time....close tray, hit play, and disc resumes where it left off...
    5. +R/RW discs both play in my Sony NS300 player and PS2. Plays my cd-r's.
    6. Recording in 1 hr. mode produces the BEST video I have ever seen from a DVD recorder/player...rivals Betacam SP! Other settings produce quality similar to the CH 1500.
    7. Large red recording indicator on front panel. Also,
    disc progression bar illuminates under clock display.
    8. Tuner is great, STEREO, and SAP, too.
    9. I did not find the remote or instruction manual to be too confusing, as some have reported. However, I recommend reading the manual in its entirety. I was not able to setup the unit without consulting the manual. CyberHome 1500 and its remote seem a little easier to operate at first glance.
    10. Auto chapter insert works good (I like this feature).
    11. Option to dim panel display....(did not try it)
    Have yet to try title and chapter options.....will report on next post.

I am indeed happy with this recorder, and I recommend it

8. renderman

renderman Guest

Hey Koolbrew,

I was able to access the menu that shows the firmware version, but I don't understand the numbers, or what they mean....? Did you write the information down BEFORE you flashed the firmware? What appears on the screen while updating?

Am now downloading the #17 firmware update from the Philips web site. This will take FOREVER with my crummy dial-up connection.

Manual says that trying to install the update to a unit that is already current, display will simply show "up to date".

Cheers!

9. dmelgar

dmelgar Member

Curious, does the Philips allow you to play MP3s in random order, ie does shuffle work on MP3 cds/dvds.

Cyberhome has an obscure feature where you can have the next recording happen at the location of your choosing on the DVD. Classic case where a DVD+RW has filled up, you delete something at the beginning. You can make the Cyberhome do the next recording (timer too) at the beginning if desired. Does the Philips have something equivalent?

10. renderman

renderman Guest

Firmware update.

My recorder was manufactured 11/03. Downloaded zip from Philips web site, extracted and burned to disc.
    Applied the update successfully (takes about 15 min.)
    Menu with version number shows new information. Unit is performing properly.

11. KOOLBREW

KOOLBREW Member

Renderman, your question to me regarding the firmware was probably meant for someone else, since I am only in the processs of ordering my dvdr75. I think maybe ret27m40 could answer that.

12. cath1979

cath1979 Member

I've never downloaded a firmware update. Is this absolutely necessary. My Phillips DVD Recorder is scheduled to arrive this Wednesday.
    Thanks
    Catherine

13. ret27m40

ret27m40 Member

I did my firmware just because. mine worked great befor and after.....if yer not sure how to do it, i woodnt unless you have problems....i think the only thing the firmware did was give more meida options

14. cath1979

cath1979 Member

thank you

15. dmelgar

dmelgar Member

I broke down and bought a Philips locally.
    The good:
    The TV tuner looks and sounds great, unlike the horrible Cyberhome tuner.
    To my eyes, the 6hour video quality is way better than the equivalent setting on the Cyberhome.

The not so good
    The usability is really horrible. Hard to imagine how they could come up with something so convoluted. I had trouble even figuring out how to change the channel.
    Fast forward, vs chapter ahead is not as straightforward, ie uses the same key for both instead of two different keys.
    No commercial skip
    MP3 support is practically worthless. I haven't been able to figure out how to get a list of songs. End up only being able to see one song at a time. I haven't tried the firmware update to see if they've improved it.

16. ret27m40

ret27m40 Member

dmelgar
    I thought the useabilty is far better than the cyberhome. And was VERY easy to figure out. I havent tried MP3's I normally play them on my Apex. I'll give it a try on the Philips tho. Over all do you like it better than the cyberhome?

17. KOOLBREW

KOOLBREW Member

I can't speak for DMELGAR, but I like a toothache better than the Cyberhome.

18. dmelgar

dmelgar Member

Haven't decided which one I like better. Depends on the focus. If the focus is on a DVD recorder, then the Philips is clearly superior. The tuner and recording quality are far above the Cyberhome.
    Useability is a concern to me, haven't read the Philips manual yet. Its a mishmash of letters and icons, different keys to get out of menus, not very useful set of keys on the remote (tv volume up/down but no fast forward/rew keys).

Unfortunately, I'm trying to run double duty as a DVD recorder and MP3 player. My entire music collection fits on two DVDs. I haven't found an MP3 player I really like other than a PC. Rather not have multiple devices if one works. So the MP3 issue is a big one for me. I'd have to have a seperate MP3 player w the Philips whereas I might be able to live with the Cyberhome.

And of course the Cyberhome is cheaper, although not much if you order the Philips mail order.

19. dmelgar

dmelgar Member

Oh, I forgot to mention. I had lockup problems with the latest Cyberhome servo firmware, but backed off a level.

Other than that experience, I have had no lockup problems with the Cyberhome. I regularly use it as a VCR, using timer recordings to record daily shows and periodic movies. It does run warm, but hasn't hurt anything. I've been using the heck out of it for two months and it hasn't failed (yet).

I don't think my experience has been as bad as other folks on the forum. I've been using dirt cheap DVD+RW media ($1.10 each) wo problem.

20. ret27m40

ret27m40 Member

Apex has some AWESOME DVD/MP3 players that are small and REALLY work well. I know the deal with having an all in one BUT it seems we cant have it all right now, I want the Video/TV recording the most so i will stick with the Philips. Let us know what you decide.