1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp5140 dvd player with Ultra DivX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dcmorrow, May 24, 2006.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

This does look like the best bang for your buck..I think I'll ad one to my collection.I like the idea U can use USB to add a harddrive,for Vids
    Philips Upconversion DVD Player (DVP5982/37) $59.99
    at Circuit City
    I would definitely purchase the extended 3yr warranty for 20.00 bucks.
    Cause SH*T Happenens $80.00 is cheap for a Player that U are Guaranteed to have for 4yrs.[1yr Philips,3yr CC]
    Myself,I buy the extended Warrantys,but I live in the Lightning Capitol of the world..My 60" Sony is 2yrs old,I've already replaced the projection bulb twice,at just over $200.00 a pop,also the Optic block which was $1500.00.This is not a cheap TV..I paid $3000.00 for it plus $300.00 plus for Extended Warranty...Sh*t happens
    I consider this very cheap for ease of mind,even if nothing goes wrong.
    OLD SAYING...What can go wrong,Will go wrong

2. tel5858

tel5858 Member

rick5446: thank you for the two torrent searching website, I like them very much.
    Do you think in the near future, the dvd player manufacture will make the rmvb and some other kinds vedio files playable on dvd player?

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

tel5858..Wonders Never Cease..Personally I would rather have a 3 Dimensional TV

4. tyroprate

tyroprate Member

Hi. I am new, but I'm trying to help out a family member.

I have a DVP 5140/37 that I mainly use to watch downloaded movies and TV shows. I have never had any problem reading files.

My sister has a HD camcorder that records in .mpg files (I think it's a Sony). I took a few of the files to see if they would read on my DVD player, and they read, but the audio and video both skip and stutter really bad. Any idea why this would be?

I tried to check the codec with VideoInspector, and this is what it said. As you can see, no codec is listed. Also, I couldn't find a firmware update. (I don't know how to check which firmware I have or how to update it anyway, though.)

Any help anyone can give would be great.

Thanks a lot.

5. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

tyroprate..A little more specific Please !! What type of Disc.Could be your Disc[dirty ,scratched,inferior Disc etc].How does it play on your computer?Play the Disc on your comp if its still skippy,transfer it to your computer & play.If its still skippy,then U got Disc or Camera problem

6. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

tel5858..Probably not.My guess would be that H264,X264 Would be the way of the newer players,if their is going to be a change.The video & audio is excellent.Cable & Satalite TV are moving in this direction,as compression is greater.So the smaller a file is the more info can be transfered,faster it can be read

7. tyroprate

tyroprate Member

Rick-

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that the files play fine on my computer. I tried burning two different disks with two different programs. Burned an Imation CD-R with Nero and a TDK CD-RW with Ashampoo Burning Studio 7. Got the same results with both discs.

Thanks.

8. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

tyroprate..Mpg files,I always convert them to DVD [VOB Files].I always use DVD RW's Discs for the watchable,then burn to a permanent Disc if all is OK.I prefer DVD's over CD's as they are less expensive & a lot more storage.Heres an excellent free program VSO DivXtoDVD

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/vso_divxtodvd_free.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_encoders/

B4 giving up ya might try this..Whenever I've had a problem with a video,VSO has always fixed it
    Copy your Video to your hard-drive 1st,make a separate folder for your new DVD.Give this a shot,it takes real time[1 1/2hr mov takes 1 1/2hr]
    If U have access to WinAVI Converter,,its really fast