1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp5140 dvd player with Ultra DivX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dcmorrow, May 24, 2006.

1. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

Hi all. I got the enw 5140 a few days ago at walmart for roughly $55.

I used to have the dvp 642 version, which I loved until someone stole it, so now I have the 5140.

This player isn't ESS anymore, it uses the Matroska chip now (I think thats what's it called), so it can play virtually anything. I'm going to test out wmv tonight and see what happens.

As far as Ultra divx goes, you can make menu, and over at labs.divx.com you can find this menu creation tool, but I'm not sure how easy it is yet. I understand there are still some ways to go before it will become mainstream for us users to make chapter points and divx menus, but it will come.

I love how now I can display time remaining on divx files, that is nice, as well as 32x ff and reverse modes.

File names, there is a cutoff limit, but its longer now than what the dvp 642.

2. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Lets keep pushing for a GoTo Bttn & a standby mode..this is what I miss the most.But other then that the 5140 is an excellent choice for the budget minded

3. akc21

akc21 Member

If you have a regular tv with an s-video out, but no component out (R/G/B), you should not get this dvd player. For some reason Philips did not put an S-Video out on any current dvd/divx players (such as the 5140, 3040, and 5960). This was highly frustrating for me because I have a basic Sony TV with an S-Video out, and I wanted a standalone divx player that could hook up to it. The 642 seems to be the ONLY Philips dvd/divx player with an S-Video out, although it does not support QPEL, GMC or divx 6. If you have a TV compatible with component-out or only Red-White-Yellow, you should buy the 5140 or 5960.

4. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

akc21..Good point but,if U got S-Video U got A/V Lines..S-Video if memory serves me is only video anyway.Personaly I've used both & don't really find a significent difference in pic Quality

5. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I had one of these for about 2 days-took it back to Walmart-I ended up keeping my Sony-way better picture-have 2 LG players that do divx/xvid anyway.

6. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

this player doesnt play wmv files, well not my wmv files at least

as far as the svideo out thing, c'mon, is it that big of a deal?

I have an older type tv, I use an R/F adapter, and guess what, you can do S-video out with it, and its a phillips brand name too, so if you need the svideo hookup, you can try that method

7. ruFFritch

ruFFritch Member

Folks,

You are missing the big picture as far as S-Video goes. Svid provides very noticable improvment over RF or composite video.
    For anyone intersted, check this link. It does not say anything about RF essentially because RF is really scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to video quality. Not only does it encode the colour and picture info into one carrier, it also throws in the audio!! Anyone who knows a little about vidoe and audio soignals will tell you that the more you multiplex a signals into one, the more (for lack of a better word) shitty your signal will be. http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/VideoConnectors/VideoConnectors.asp
    There are many other sites if you are open minded and wish to learn. Google is your friend. :)

8. Madness

Madness Member

I bought one of these last week through Walmart.com since my local store didn't even have it. So far, it's played every single thing I've thrown at it -- even an DVD+RW packed full of MP3s (even though it says CD(RW) only in the manual. Secondly, it says nothing about Xvid movies, yet it played those fine, also.

Finally, I'm curious to know whether this thing is already region-free. Reason being: I loaded in some UK R2 DVDs and it started playback of them w/ no trouble (no "wrong-region" screens).

Only setbacks I can see on this player is lack of an S-video jack (I just assumed it had one!). Since I don't yet have a TV w/ component jacks, I'm stuck using the composite. Yes, that remote, looks like a flat-bottom boat and has no open/close buttom for the tray (my other player is an Apex, so I got used to that button!).

9. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

Several things, the cost of the player reflects the reduced connectors. In essence they were redundant. S-Video quality can be obtained by a cable adaptor from the component out to S-Video. Just look it up on Google. The cost is minimal.

The OPEN CLOSE button is actually the STOP button pressed 3 to 5 seconds. This has been true since the DVP642.

The 5140 is not the perfect solution, but at $50 retail, it's the best solution.

10. bcounty

bcounty Member

Can someone tell me how this player compared to the Philips 3040, which is $50 at Best Buy? The Philips site doesn't have an accurate compare/contrast between the two... Any help is appreciated -- thanks!

(Also, Newbie Question: Can someone tell me the easiest way to convert regular DVD content to DivX that'll play on the 642, the 3040, and the 5140? What free program(s) should I download and use? Is there a link to the best guide to use? Thanks!)

11. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

Both of these players are pieces of ****, best one I've found so far is the LGDVB411-it you can find one it's well worth the effort-another possibility is the 531 which is the Canadian version of the 411-you can get it from Future Shop.

12. bcounty

bcounty Member

Uh, isn't this thread about the 5140? Thanks for the post, but it really doesn't answer my question... :)

13. dcmorrow

dcmorrow Member

ZRDB is a Seagull.

He has no plan on backing up his statement. The real issue that he fails to mention is that the LDA-531 (by the way) and the other model number is wrong. It might be the 511. Anyway, the class is up-converting, priced 3 times higher than the DVP5140.

You can buy a Yugo, which the 5140 is classed in, or a Mustang which the 531 is. The both do the job, but one has more features, and the funning thing is they have the same chipset.

The 5140 is a better deal unless you are dieing for all the outputs including HDMI.

14. bcounty

bcounty Member

I have the 642, which only has 10 bit, 54MHz for the video. Both the DVP3040 and the DVP5140 have 12 bit, 108 MHz for the video. Is it worth upgrading to one of those for the increased video output? Will my DivX-burned dvds look that much better? (Keep in mind I'm only watching stuff on a 27" Toshiba regular old flat-screen picture tube TV at present...)

Thanks!

15. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

dcmorrow..How bout a little more input on these units,Yugo,Mustang
    Model #'s,Divx compatible,Where to buy,etc.Sounds like they might be good units

16. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I may have been talking about hdmi (although these players can be hacked to upscale through componet)-but that still doesn't change the fact that both of these Philips players have inferior xvid/divx playback capability compared to the LG units.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2006
  17. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

zrdb..Gotta disagree with ya on that statement

18. Madness

Madness Member

Thanks for the heads-up on the stop button. I must've overlooked that in the manual. I simply wanted a cheapie player for Divx/XviD and this seemed like a nice choice (the 642 was sold out everywhere by the time I wanted one).

Also, to the person who mentioned conversion software: I use DVDDecrypter or DVDFabDecrypter to rip and AugoGK w/ Xvid 1.x to make the AVI's. Like I mention, the 5140 has no trouble playing them.

19. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Madness..Try DrDivx..this is a pretty impressive piece of software also

20. Madness

Madness Member

Was looking at Dr. Divx. Went from a commercial product to an open-source???