1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp5140 dvd player with Ultra DivX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by dcmorrow, May 24, 2006.

1. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

if it don't play DivX,it won't play AVI.Look at all Players they are labeled DivX!!!NOT AVI..Most players won't play Qpel or GMC..Don't ask! I don't know !
    Where & when I need too I use VSO DivXtoDVD..IT's free at AD.To Convert any movie [avi,divx]to DVD this plays on any Player.On my little computer 1.8GHz it will convert in real time 2hr movie takes 2hrs.Then about 7to10mins to burn

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  2. koz

koz Member

Cool, thanx for all your help & insight Rick5446.

3. dts2dts

dts2dts Member

Hi everbody. My new DVP5140/12 plays DVDs with dts sound correctly (through coax-output). BUT AVI(DivX/XviD) with dts sound NOT! It displays a message "audio codec not recognized" (AVI+AC3 plays correctly.) Does someone know a workaround please? Thx.

4. Kaioh

Kaioh Member

I just recently purchased this DVD player. I was wondering if there is a way to turn the OSD Off? I have some DVDs that have automatic angle changes during play. When the angle changes it displays the angle change icon on the screen and it's rather annoying. Is there anyway to turn the angle change icon off or the OSD in general?

5. pjckomodo

pjckomodo Member

I had seen this post a while back but never saw an answer to address it. These resolutions TV episodes, 960x528, are the only thing I have tried to playback that wont playback. If there is a way play them, I would be interested in reading about it. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  6. bonghwang

bonghwang Member

I have an issue for a long time to see Korean subtitle on 642-17. All my AVI files are with SMI. I believe SRT and SMI are same and supported by the player. (??) Please help me. Thank you.

7. kyebean

kyebean Member

I have had this player for several months and am very happy with it. The only video file formats on data discs that the player supports are .avi, .mpg, and .divx. I know that it supports DivX, MPEG, MP3, WMA, and AC3 codecs, however there might be other supported codecs that I left out. If you have other video files on your PC that you would like to play on the DVP5140, the first thing you should do is make sure you have the latest DivX bundle (currently 6.6), preferably the Pro version. I have tried many applications, and the best video conversion/encoding software that I have seen is WinAvi, especially for DivX .avi encoding. divx-digest.com/articles/DivX 6 Setup describes all the settings you can adjust for optimal DivX encoding, although the bundled DivX codec user guide is also very informative.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  8. kyebean

kyebean Member

Just to address your issues more clearly: WinAvi can accept any video files, from .vob to .mkv, regardless of format, resolution, framerate, etc. It can then edit any of these attributes and output or burn in common formats. With DivX Pro 6.6 installed, it can encode a DivX Home Theater Certified .avi file which is certified to be compatible with DivX players like DVP5140.
    If you want to combine multiple files with a menu and the DVD format is too bloated for your project, you can create DivX Ultra files with menus, subtitles, multiple audio tracks, etc. There is an excellent application called "TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 With DivX Ultra Authoring" that can create and burn both DVD and DivX Ultra files. If you have an XviD decoder installed, either WinAvi or DVD Author 3 can convert XviD encoded files. The same is true for any other codec. Can't afford WinAvi or TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 With DivX Ultra Authoring? Try a BT site.

9. kyebean

kyebean Member

The best way to playback pure audio on this player is by burning a standard audio CD. Although the player supports .wma and .mp3 files on a data disc, these have limited bitrates (Be sure to check the DVP5140 user manual under specifications). So unless you want to trade quality for reduced file size or you want to burn files that are already below these limits, burning to a standard audio cd is the best choice. Putting the high quality PCM audio of a standard audio cd on a higher capacity DVD is tempting but it couldn't be played back unless it was tied to video which is a very time consuming process, and the final result won't be as effective as simply burning your audio files to a standard audio cd, which can be done in many applications including Nero and Windows Media Player.

10. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Another Excellent converter is DrDivX 1.06...Not easy to find as most of the time U are directed to 2.0..I've used this often to convert DVD's to Divx & to convert AVI's with play back problems in DVD Player[no sound,freezing,audio out of sync,etc.]..To date it has not let me down,very fast.40min EP takes about 1hr15mins for 2Pass

11. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

If someone needs, I can upload a copy of dr divx 1.06

I don't see why you would continue to use 1.06, I enjoy using dr divx 2.0 beta 3. It uses the new divx 6 codec, what more can you ask for?

If you have a dual core machine, it really is awesome, you can encode a full length dvd movie in about 2 hours, well, at least it does on my machine with 2.0 GHZ AMD 3800+.

If you are looking for another video encoding program, I also suggest auto gk.

I have had this particular player for about a year now, and I love it. I used to have the old player, DVP642, but the 5140 is much better. I can seek faster (32x), the in display menu is better, and so is the remote. Oh yea, it is ultra divx certified! Yes!

12. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

rdn98..I like DrDivX 1.06 due to the fact that all U have to do is select the VIDEO_TS & it pulls the whole movie in.I've never used 2.0,but a friend of mine said he uses it.But it won't grab the whole Movie,U have to select the separate VOB's in a batch.Now if U explain how to pull the whole movie in,I'll give it a shot.Also YES I'd like another copy of 1.06,if it will work better then the copy I have..rick5446xhotmail.com..Just replace the x with @ & U got me,& THANKS very much.The only problem I'm having with 1.06 is that if I use it everyday it's OK.But if a couple of days go by,then I have to re-enter the serial # & ReBoot for it to work.This is a very strange problem,that I've not been able to correct

13. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

14. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

rdn98..Your DrDivX 106 does'nt work either..the link is good.But asks for serial# at start-up & mine serial don't work.Won't even open it

15. rdn98

rdn98 Regular member

*scratches head*

Since when do you need a serial key to use Dr Divx 1.06?

Now if you need a serial key to use the divx pro, now thats another story.

16. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

rdn98...Yep I get 2 screens 1 that says your 15 day trial has ended,then 1 that wants me to enter a Serial #.Don't have any idea !!??..2.0 is totaly FREE

17. tel5858

tel5858 Member

I'm planning to buy DVP5982/37, but i wonder if it can play ".mkv" file, and can exchange the audio and subtitle smoothly? because i have many movies in this format. Have you guys ever tried this?
    thnx

18. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Ive got a 5140 & 3140 Both do an excellent job on SubTitles.But I'm real sure that their is no Player that will play MKV's.U can convert them with little effort with any AVI Converter [DrDivX,AVI Recomp,Win DVD Converter.etc]

19. tel5858

tel5858 Member

to rick5446: thank you for your reply. it's very useful for me.

20. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

tel5858..WinDVD Converter would probably be your best bet.Its the fastest,and the quality is not that noticeable against the original file...If U know about torrents U can find it through..Great search engine [h**p://www.torrentz.com/]
    Another great search engine..Torrent Harvester