1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips DVP642/37

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by 5hole, Jan 30, 2005.

1. 5hole

5hole Member

Hi I recently baught this player. I buaght it for once reason being it had DIVX playback. I put a move in Napolean Dynamite wich is Xvid and it plays back but the picture is all choppy abd blured. Dose anyone know why. And also were do you get the upgrads for this player. Thanks.

2. Schooner

Schooner Member

Movie not coded properly, recode it with Dr Divx and it will work fine. Most Divx will play as well as some Xvid but depending on how its made counts for everything. I have the same problems. Do not update the firmware just yet. I was just told by Philips they pulled the new one thy had on the net because of problems and are updateing it now and will be posted soon.

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

I wouldn't say that it wasn't coded properly. If it wasn't then simply re-encoding wouldn't fix it. XviD produces ISO ASP compliant MPEG-4. Just that ESS's chipset doesn't support decoding all ASP features.

DivX playback just means that it will playback DivX certified streams. So you can't expect it to handle all XviD encodes, only those following DXN HT prolfile specs will definatly work and it is upto the chipset/player manufacturer how much out of spec stuff that they support. For instance MTK chipsets can handle qpel. ESS chipsets can't.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  4. Schooner

Schooner Member

Sorry I guess I should have been more clear on that, i know Qpel is a problem. what i ment was to redo with Dr. Divx and it will play. i have done it a number of times with 99.9 success rate, nothing is 100%. Also I called philips (phone)about the DVP642/37 codes yesterday in the PM and was told all update firmware for this product has or will be pulled off their system. Seems there are problems they want to fix with the new firmware and as far as I know it is the (0112) version of the firmware for 2005. New one should be posted soon hopefully