1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 == chinese subtitles?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by belaxion, Feb 16, 2005.

1. belaxion

belaxion Member

Heya all, seems like this dvd player is pretty popular, anyways, the subtitles for my divX movie is in chinese, i manage to make the subtitles appear, but the chinese characters cannot be viewed, instead they become some mumbo jumbo chars.. is there any way i can view chinese subtitles?

Anyways, it works perfectly for eng subtitles..

2. belaxion

belaxion Member

anyone?

3. MWRipper

MWRipper Member

I'll take a try!

I don't really know much about divX and subtitles (I've been able to get chinese subtitles on this dvd player, but only from an original dvd disc not a divX file), but if I had to make an educated guess I'd say it might be a problem with the encoding used for the chinese text. For example, is it Big5? plain text unicode? etc.

As an example big5 chinese text might look like:
    你好

while plain unicode looks like:
    §A¦n

If your browser is not setted up to view any of that text it'll appear as mumble-jumble. My guess would be that's similar to what's happening to the subtitles on your disc.

4. belaxion

belaxion Member

so is there anyway to set up the player to display big5 chars?

5. MWRipper

MWRipper Member

If it doesn't already then I sincerely doubt it. The only way to do this would probably be through updating the firmware and that might give further complications in the long run. Your best bet would be trying to figure out what encoding the Philips 642 does supports and converting your subtitles to that format. As I was able to get Chinese subtitles, it does stand to reason that it does support Chinese characters in some format. Finding out that format however will be a matter of research and trial & error. Good luck!