1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. gretagun

gretagun Member

I've checked most the replies in this thread, and some other sites and haven't seen anything about this player and KVCD. Does anyone know if this thing will play KVCDS?

2. Borric

Borric Member

I was looking at getting this DVD player. My only concern is the chirpin/buzzing noise, some people are having. Does this only occur on certain media? or does it do it with DVDS?

3. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

It only seems to happen with mpeg4 material and does'nt seem to have any detrimential effects.

4. Borric

Borric Member

How loud is it? I mean, if i have my TV volume up halfway.. will it drown it out? or is it loud?

I heard the chirping was normal.. but i dont think id like to hear it, when watchin something

5. dponce80

dponce80 Member

It's like a tiny little bird, caught in a carboard box lined with Indian velvet... lol. Look, it's not really loud and it doesn't happen all the time. Mainly when first loading the movie. Then once in a while. Your fridge is probably louder.

6. Borric

Borric Member

oh ok.. i guess ill get it.

Ive read enough good reviews about it.. sure it has a sucky remote.. and menu system.. altho in some pdf i looked at, i guess in the firmware upgrade.. there is a graphic now.

7. dponce80

dponce80 Member

Actually, there always was a GUI. I'm not too sure what the first firmware upgrade actually did to the machine. Except maybe tweak the subtitle handling. Mind you, i'm not too much into subtitles as the dont often come with my downloads. That's beside the point though. The second firmware upgrade, the most recent, seems to be doing more damage than good, so i'd stay away from it for now.

The remote doesn't exatly suck. I'd say, it's uh... efficient. Like it doesn't bring you breakfast in bed and has no bells and whistles, but it gets the job done. Only thing you have to know: if you want to eject your disk with the remote, hold down "Stop" for five seconds. It's explained in the manual, but no one reads that, it seems.

8. LsMcQueen

LsMcQueen Member

Gretagun,

Yes it plays KVCDs and KSVCDs. I haven't tried KDVDs.

Anyone have any more comments on the <ahem> 'new' firmware?
    I find the audio stays synced a little better, but that might just be a placebo effect.

Andy

9. Borric

Borric Member

But, if i bought it now.. wouldnt the update already be on it?

I mean.. isnt this like a 6-7month old player now?

10. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

It came out about 7 months ago, I doubt that the firmware is the newest version. You might want to check and update it if necessary.

11. Borric

Borric Member

hmm.. Im kinda scared to mess with the firmware stuff.. i mean, a few pages back, someone said it made the video messed up.

I am an anime watcher.. but my anime i think the subtitles are in the video itself, not in a seperate sub file.

12. grampie

grampie Guest

I just bought this player at CompUSA yesterday for $69.99. It seems to work great out of the box - divx, mp3, jpeg, and backup DVD's. Based on the reports about firmware upgrades not helping - and even hurting in some cases - I've decided to hold off for now.

In the videohelp forum, a user reported problems with Memorex DVD-R 4x media. He said he was told by Philips that the player had a problem with them. But I tried a half dozen of them last night - all DVD backups - and they all worked perfectly. Also, I didn't hear any chirping or other noise during playback. My initial impression is that this is a great box!

13. jrkfctry

jrkfctry Member

I also just picked one up at best buy last night. I flashed the firmware and it seems to be working very well. It has played almost everything that I have tried in it, and most of my DVD-Rs are Smart Buy. So far I am very impressed by this player, and I'm using virtualdubmod to fix any problems that I'm having with xvid.

14. Borric

Borric Member

well for divx players, this is the cheapest ive found.

anyone have any luck with RIData? I have like 40dvdrs of those

15. Sherry101

Sherry101 Guest

Hi guys, I just bought thid DVD player and am waiting for it anxiously. I have a question though. Will it play movies that i have downloaded and put on cd-r or cd-wr in .avi format? and if not, what would i have to do to play my downloaded movies? and on what type of media do they have to be on? THank you so much :)))

16. x1fighter

x1fighter Member

Sherry,
    I have had this for a month or so now and yes you can burn these to cd and play them. I have only had a problem that the video and sound don't match sometimes. To fix that just hit the system menu twice in a row and it will be resolved.

17. jrkfctry

jrkfctry Member

Yes. I have a bunch of RIData and Smartbuy DVD-Rs, and they all work.

18. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

You're right, it's about the cheapest divx, xvid, etc. player on tne market but as I've posted before it won't handle Qpel or Global Motion Compensation, only a few downloads have these but when they do, forget it.

19. Borric

Borric Member

ah well, maybe in a future patch, it might.

I think im going to get it for xmas.

20. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

You won't regret it.