1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. pcss

pcss Guest

" The firmware is super easy to find from the Philips site. But for you lazy bums out there ;) :

Firmware file:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642_17/dvp642_17_fus_eng.zip

Firmware instructions:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642_17/dvp642_17_fur_eng.pdf

Generally, what you do, is you take the zipped file, which is usually a disc image, unzip it, and burn the image onto a disc. This is most likely a CD-ROM image. If you don't know how to burn an image to a disc, buy your local geek a six pack or RTFM regarding your CD burning software.

Once you have accomplished this, it should be just a matter of putting the disc in and letting the player reflash its firmware with the new revision.

Best regards,
    -E

PS in this case it is not a disc image, but simply two files that you need to burn onto a CDR as a data disc.

This message has been edited since posting. Last time this message was edited on 17. July 2004 @ 12:55"

Well it's now December and I am not a lazy bum. I looked hi and lo on the Philips site for the firmware upgrade but could not find it. I did find the instructions PDF very easily. Either I am blind or it or it is not easily found. In any case I am glad that I found your link. Thank you very much. I will however make sure that I my player has at least the version that your link directed me to or else I would be a fool. If anyone know where to find the latest version of the FW as of this date I would be greatly indebted to you for that information. ~pcss

2. detroit0

detroit0 Member

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  3. Enrika

Enrika Member

Greetings, everyone! I'm new to this forum, but I did scan or read all of the posts so far, and I seem to be no clearer on this one particular question:

What is the difference between /17 and /37?

Several people have asked this question, and the only post regarding this matter was on page 4 or 5, where someone said that there is absolutely no difference between the two. That seems somewhat unlikely to me, but I haven't heard anything to the contrary that I can tell. Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Best Regards,
    Enrika

4. gitrdone

gitrdone Guest

This unit will_not play windows media video files (.WMV) - The icon shows windows logo, but says it is an "unknown codec" - That sucks.

5. gitrdone

gitrdone Guest

This unit will_not play windows media video files (.WMV) - The icon shows windows logo, but says it is an "unknown codec" - That sucks.

6. lilricky

lilricky Member

Where did you read that it was supposed to play WMV's?? If you really need to play a WMV file in this player, simply convert it to Divx or Xvid.

7. alba2

alba2 Member

Hello everybody, how are you doing? I have to say that this forum and all of your inputs have been very very useful to me so far. However, there are a couple of questions I need to ask to all you out there:
    How can I play matroska codec files in the divx player and/or with what software can I convert them to normal avi?
    How can I play 3vix files?
    Thank you vary much and happy holidays to everybody!

8. OnionLuva

OnionLuva Guest

Not sure If I can be of much help being a newbie to this stuff myself but here's what I do. Just to mention I own a Philips dvp642/37 DVD/Divx player and this works for me. I use TMPGENC Xpress 3.0 to convert the codec of the AVI file from whatever it is to DIVX or XVID 1.0.2-29082004 (Koepi's build). To do this however I believe you need the codec of the file before converting installed, and the DIVX or XVID codec installed to convert to. You can use GSPOT to find out the codec's and much more information on the file you are going to convert which can be very useful. http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    Hope this gives you a starting point or something to go on.

Peace Love And Happy Converting!

9. tdu

tdu Member

Just some firmware questions. Sorry if they are repeats, but this thread is massive.

1. How do I find which firmware my player has?
    2. How do I know if it's a /17 or a /37?

3. I found the firmware pages on the philips site, but I can't find a description that explains what the firmware update is actually updating? If my player works for the most part should I follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" rule or is the firmware update something I really need.

10. castaban

castaban Member

I convert QPEL and GMC files with VirtualDub. That should work with Matroska, too. And it does not take very long

You can tell the sub-model number (i.e. 17/37) by looking at the label in the back

11. lilricky

lilricky Member

1. Download the firmware update, it has instructions on how to tell what firmware you have and what model your dvd player is.
    2. See above
    3. Yes, this is a problem with Philips, they dont want to tell us what they are fixing. However, these updates seem to fix some problems and add features each time they release an update. So I would suggest upgrading your player, however, if you like your player the way it is, dont worry about it.

12. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Is there any way to roll back to the previous firmware if I am unhappy with the latest firmware upgrade?

13. sagittari

sagittari Member

This is the greatest player. I am trying to get all divx now but I still have some svcd so I'm hoping you can help me. If I have a svcd movie which is meant to be 2 cds, what is the best way to burn them to a single dvd - just the mpg file, or burn all the svcd files as data? In separate folders? Help! Thanks.

14. tdu

tdu Member

lilricky thanks for the answers. I am going to give this a shot tomorrow.

15. shiroh

shiroh Guest

originally posted by estebbins
    once upon a time ago there is divx audio. i think nandub has it. its horribly bad so its not use anymore.

originally posted by bigboneli
    i don't think the player supports qpel encoding.this is due to the chipset inability, right now

originally from crusty's FAQ
    and i don't think there is anyway you can workaround except for reencoding.

originally posted by RichardH
    yes you can make them bigger. of course by editing them before burning. i'm not sure if you can do it on the player. i use subresync that comes with vobsub.

originally posted by bishpuppy
    most fansub do make their sub at the bottom of the video. while tv have this overscan area.
    so usually i make xsvcd, and put black bars. i don't see any work around. yet.

about gmc. some players do support gmc. but only divx's gmc. cause divx uses 1 warp point and xvid uses 3. while 1 warp point is useless.

about matroska to avi. there is no matroska codec. its a container. the only codec is the pack that the official team releases which consists of ffdshow and matroska splitters.
    you don't have to reencode it get virtualdubmod. put on direct streeam copy and save as avi.

about reencoding qpel and gmc, this is right. there is no other possible way than reencoding.

16. dlocke

dlocke Regular member

I've gotten my dvp642 to play some wmv files. At first I didn't think it was true but then I took the disc back to my pc and checked it out. Not sure which version of wmv are supported but I know some work!

17. Crais

Crais Member

Dlocke:

Did you actually get audio as well?

18. eesahmuu

eesahmuu Member

hmmm ..
    does the new 1109 update play the newest xvids particularly 1.02xxxx ? ..

i've run into a lot of xvids lately where the movie will start up for one second then the player would freeze up and reset .. trying the system button trick just freezes up the player even more ..

read lotta horror stories about the 11/09 update on here n' other forums so i'm a little reluctant to update .. from what i've read so far i believe u can still reflash to the old 0531 rite ? .. good thin' i kept the disc ..

19. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Is there a place where I can still download the 0531 firmware in case I need to roll it back? It came pre-installed on my machine.

20. detroit0

detroit0 Member

i don't have any trouble with xvids on 642/37 using the new firmware. I use bleeding edge xvid versions. i mostly do my own encodes using autogk beta versions.

I did have the lockup you mentioned when I used a program called OGM2AVI... it converts an ogm to an xvid and it doesn't do it in a way that works with 642 player... the underlying conversion is done with virtualdub.

The link above (http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642_37/ )
    has an older verison of the firmware if you need it... which I can't imaging why you would.