1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Why dont you wait until the KISS DP 1000 arrives in U.S. (the KISS DP 450 is already available) as this little Danish beauty is only the size of an A4 sheet, it plays anything, even bin and cue files burned as a cd image. have a look on the www.kiss-technology.com site

2. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

Still in love with the DVP 642, and can even look past it's lack of dvd-r abilities (hopefully a future upgrade figgers that out).
    Like others I've seen in my quest for the answer, certain Xvid give a QPEL Codec error. I'm scanning here and other forums for an answer / workaround for it (hadn't HEARD of qpel before tonight). If anyone knows anything about this or a bypass or wtf ever, plz lemme know.
    Spanx

3. Kurgan

Kurgan Guest

Argh! This unit DOES play DVD-R/RW. If you've got a unit that they aren't playing on, it's either a fluke, or possibly they made a mistake with a few of the early releases. All the literature clearly states it does support that format. The only place I've ever seen it say they don't play -R media was in forums where people were claiming they didn't. If you get a unit and it doesn't work right, take it back and exchange it, or try a firmware upgrade. Note: the DVP-642 /17 plays them natively. The DVP-642 /32 I can't confirm, although the literature says it does play them, too. Maybe a few early units slipped out and need a firmware upgrade. Just a guess. Remember, when you've got people trying to tell you that this unit is +R only, that's ludicrous, because Philips has geared their entire campaign around this unit being able to play "anything you throw at it!" That's the whole reason they made it in the first place. Oh yeah, one other *very* important thing. This unit isn't "Divx Compatible" as was originally thought. It's actually fully "Divx Certified!" No kidding. I thought it was just compatible, but nopers, it's actually fully certified with Divx.com. Sweet. I didn't find that out until I got home and opened the box. The certification must have come late, though. The proper logo isn't on the front, but if you look at the copyright info on the back of the unit, you see the Divx copyright info.

4. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

no, it's geared around being able to play 'almost anything' you can throw at it.

http://www.consumer.philips.com/glo...A&subCatId=DVD_PLAYERS_SU&productId=DVP642_17

Even the philips site doesn't mention dvd-r compatibility.

It COULD be you got an early version that DOES play -R, but as you can see, it's obviously NOT MEANT to play them. mine is the 642/17, and it doesn't play -R dvd's...yet
    wanna trade yours??? :0)

5. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

Bah
    I just downloaded their user guide, which is obviously newer than the literature in the box, and it says it DOES support that format (the -r -rw)

Seems you can't even trust the developers to get their shit together ;)

So hopefully, the firmware upgrade i throw at it in a few minutes will update my machine to their literature.

We were both right, and both wrong, depending on who you listen to (even Philips) :/

6. Mentazm

Mentazm Member

I take it this player is quite new? It seems ideally suited to my needs, but isn't available in the UK yet.

7. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Mentazm - If you are in the U.K. go for the KISS DP 1000, you will not be disappointed, plays everything, even bin and cue files, jpegs but wont play mkv (Matrovska) or DigiTV mpegs. Read the reviews still on Amazon U.K. but available with quick delivery from nickknows.com

8. mobilemit

mobilemit Guest

It does too play DVD-R and is supposed to play them. Mine works great with them. I put 5-8 movies on a DVD-R (I use ritek brand) and it comes up in a menue and you can select which movie is supposed to play.

Superb unit, best DVD player I have had yet!

9. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

I agree, kickass unit. And lo and behold, after I updated it (and I don't think that had anything to do with it) I retried my DVD-R's and it works fine, just takes a hella long time to start/find/get to the menu.

Big thing is, can SOMEONE get me past this QPEL pain in the butt codec problem on certain xvid.

I had a non related xvid prob yesterday where a movie had REALLY screwed up colours, I even went so far as to reburn at 8X, but by then, I'd got the faster burn working, just hadda pause it or something with the menu button, then it started to play it perfectly...Just get me past this QPEL crap and I'll buy you a beer.

10. Mentazm

Mentazm Member

I phoned up Phillips UK today. Word is this unit is only available in the US, and won't be getting shipped elsewhere for a good while yet. Guess I'm buying the KISS then :/

11. manuel77

manuel77 Guest

I jus bought this unit last night and the minute that I got home I installed right away. All my DVD's are -R, loaded with music, videos, mp3s and jpgs. They all work great. I also have a neudigit DVIX player that is also great, but this DVD player has a lot more power to it. Can somebody tell me where can I get the firmware upgrade and how to do it, thanks. Do not believe what people tell you about DVD-R and this DVD player. All my DVD-R are burned using NERO 5.5, and each DVD-R that has movies, has 6 movies at least. They all played great. My DVD-R with music videos at least contains 99 musiv videos from mpg, to m2v and svcd, they all played awesome, only like 2 of them scracth a litle bit. My mp3 in DVD-R, also played with out a problem. The only complain that I had was not an OPEN/CLOSE buttom but reading this forum I found the solution. Any questions at manuelr77@yahoo.com

12. elainc33

elainc33 Member

You wont need to upgrade it for a while if you have only just bought it. If you go to the kiss-technology site, you download the upgrade from them, burn it onto a cd and then play the cd in the KISS player. I presume you have the secret menu to make it all region. I got rid of those awful blue lights on the front on the unit. Dont understand why you say there is no button to open and close tray. There are only two buttons on the model and the one closest to the tray opens and closes it, plus of course the button on the remote. The one small complaint I have is that you cant switch it off from the unit, only from the remote. I also put 5 to 6 avi movies on a dvd if I cant be bothered to convert, or a cd if it is less than 700MB. Crazy how this player was developed by KISS, a Danish company and the Divx organisation but is hard to get hold of in the U.S. The DP 450 which has the same specification as the DP 1000 is available from MTS Business Solutions, Wilmington, DE but these people seem to be a bit confused about making it region free and told a friend of mine, she would have to have it adapted, which would then make the guarantee null and void, this sounds like a load of c..p as it is so simple to make it region free. Hopefully Amazon.com will have it soon.

13. alba2

alba2 Member

Hi everybody,
    so I assume this unit DOES play DVD - R -RW and DVD + R + RW. I guess we reached that conclusion. Can anybody give me the web site from where to download the firmware??? How do I throw it in the unit, just burn the data to a disc?
    Thanks to all!!!

14. estebbins

estebbins Member

The firmware is super easy to find from the Philips site. But for you lazy bums out there ;) :

Firmware file:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642_17/dvp642_17_fus_eng.zip

Firmware instructions:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642_17/dvp642_17_fur_eng.pdf

Generally, what you do, is you take the zipped file, which is usually a disc image, unzip it, and burn the image onto a disc. This is most likely a CD-ROM image. If you don't know how to burn an image to a disc, buy your local geek a six pack or RTFM regarding your CD burning software.

Once you have accomplished this, it should be just a matter of putting the disc in and letting the player reflash its firmware with the new revision.

Best regards,
    -E

PS in this case it is not a disc image, but simply two files that you need to burn onto a CDR as a data disc.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2004
  15. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Sorry to confuse everyone but I have been talking about the KISS DP 1000 or DP 450 which is only easily available in the U.K. but is coming to the U.S.

16. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

then perhaps you should pay attention to the topics you're replying in ;)

17. Zorc

Zorc Guest

Hey,

I just bought philips dvp630/02 and everything seems to work just fine, except the subtitles. I upgraded it from the philips site and still it doesn't work. I tried .sub .srt and .txt to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Damjan

18. bigboneli

bigboneli Guest

i'm pretty sure the flash upgrade only helps subs for divx titles, is that what you're trying to get going? and if so, does your cd with the avi file on it have the /subs/ folder?

19. Zorc

Zorc Guest

Yeah, subs for divx :) And no, the avi file and the sub file have the same name and no folders... Why, should there be a subs folder?

Thanks,

D.

20. roach13

roach13 Guest

Zorc, it plays [bold]SUBS[/bold] just fine. for me it plays everything, no matter if .sub, .txt or .srt and no matter if it has the same name like the movie or not...The only thing you need to do is in the initial disk menu FIRST you highlight the actual sub file... DON'T press OK button of the "navigate" group on the remote...press "SUBTITLES" button instead...it will say DIVX SUBTITLES FILE SELECTED...or something like that.. And after that you select the actual .AVI file with the movie... Later on, when the movie starts you can modify the way (actually the encoding) the SUBS are represented