Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. rickrich

rickrich Member

Hi.

I bought a new Sony DSC-M1 for XMAS. It creates 640 x 320 x 30fps movies in the mpeg4 format.

Unfortuntally, the DVP642 can't handle the audio section.
    But mplayer can; so the DVP642 has to go back.

==========================================================================
    Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
    AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 16000->192000 (128.0 kbit)
    Selected audio codec: [faad] afm:faad (FAAD AAC (MPEG2/MPEG4 Audio) decoder)
    ==========================================================================
    Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
    Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)

-Rick

2. backdude

backdude Member

Hi All,

First off thanks to all for all the great tips and discussions in here.

I'm running into a subtitle problem with SRTs.

They work fine for DIVX videos encoded at a higher resolution like 640*352. But I'm finding that with a lower resolution video like 352*176 no subtitles show up. Has anyone else run across this problem?

The subtitles work okay on my PC with the Microsoft Media Player and my sub-title add-on.

3. riga

riga Member

timekills wrote:
    [bold]The differnce is the resolution. The TRUE High-Def vile of Riga's is too high a bitrate for the player to show using DivX. Balaam's "high-def" was recorded in highd ef, but downsampled to a manageable resolution (i.e. 720x480 for NTSC or lower).

Bottom line - in order to play the high-def DivX file, you'll have to (unfortunately) re-encode at a lower resolution and therefore a lower bitrate.[/bold]

timekills,
    I am trying to play a clip with a bitrate of 3600 kbps. This doesn't seem abnormally high. I think it is the frame rate.
    riga

4. aaronetc

aaronetc Member

Does anyone know if the DVP642 will play MPEG files in the VCD format if they're not burned as VCD's but just a bunch of files on a DVD+R? I have a bunch of stuff that I'd like to burn like that if possible, without wasting time converting to DivX.

5. pvssr

pvssr Guest

VCD files are simple MPEG-1 files. From what i have heard abt this player those will definitely be played.

6. timekills

timekills Member

"VCD" files, as pvssr stated, are MPEG1 video files with some additional data that tells the (usually DVD) player how to play the file, and any chapter points or menus. If you just burn all the files to a DVD, it will play, but if you want to play multiple movies, you should only burn the .dat files. The .dat files are the actual MPEG1 video files, with an additional header, and the DVP642 will play them.

You can also extract the actual MPEG file from the .dat file, if the .dat file causes any errors (occasionally, for some reason, it chokes on them). Do a search for freeware programs to extract the MPEG file from the .dat file - there are many.

7. timekills

timekills Member

It can be either data rate (and 3600kbps is fairly high for a DivX, but yes, playable in this machine) OR the resolution. In your case it's the resolution - not the frame rate, unless you are using some unusaluf rame rate outside of the PAL/NTSC spectrum, or even "film" at 23 FPS, including the 25 FPS PAL, 29.97 Telecined or IVTC'd 23.976, or anime's 24 (flat)...etc. I've played them all. I haven't tried 2xNTSC yet, but why you'd want to run HDTV at 2x frame rate is beyond me.

8. timekills

timekills Member

rickrich said
    Of course it can't play that movie - it is using AAC encoding, which is either MPEG2 AAC or (more likely) MPEG4 AAC encoding, which, although arguably superior to MP3 at low data rates, is definitely not compatible with MP3.

TO sayt hat your COMPUTER plays it so your STANDALONE is going back seems strange. My computer plays allkinds of codecs - but not on my TV, so the whole family can watch. Well - it could, of course, but I don't have it set up that way.

9. rickrich

rickrich Member

So it cannot play MPEG4 audio. I rest my case.

10. DSbillnye

DSbillnye Member

I have an hp dvd writer dvd530i writer, using anydvd and clonedvd2

and I'm using memorex DVD-r media that I bought from the local walmart

My current dvd player is a very cheap player, and plays some of the movies I burn, but not all

Will I have any issues with dvd backups with this phillips dvp642?

11. acid63

acid63 Guest

I do have a Philips DVP 642/17 player and I was struggling to make it show the subtitles. I have read several forums and several threads which were related to subtitle problem. I have tried vobsup (xxx.sub.cc.raw/idx/sub), subrip (.srt), and subtitle workshop to create .srt files. None of them has worked. Here is the comprehensive summary of suggested solutions that I have found and compiled. I have found one solution as the combination of two methods.

1) Upgrading firmware. I have successfully upgraded my firm to the latest version (from 0531 to 1109. This upgrade did not solve my problem. I did get the little green like box around .srt file as a text. I couldn’t choose it as divx subtitle. I always get the hand on the upper left corner. Similarly, .sub files from subrip appeared as, mpeg2 file and remote did not work to select them as subtitles.
    2) Another method suggested was the following: First highlight the subtitle file and do not press OK. Instead, press subtitle button on the remote. It should say “divx sub title selected” on the screen, then select the movie file and play it. I tried it (firmware version 1109) and it did not work.
    3) Rename the subtitle file to contain less than 12 characters and then the player will recognize it. I did not try this alone. I tried a combination with solution #4 below.
    4) Another solution was to put all items, movie and subtitles, in a folder and burn it to CD.

I tried solutions #2 and #4 as combined. I created a folder and named it as the movie name. I have put the subtitle file in that folder. The subtitle file was named exactly as the movie file. I have created another subtitle file and named it as subtitle.srt. I put the CD into the player and played the movie. No subtitle appeared when I pressed the subtitle button on the remote. I got the stop hand. I stopped the movie and went to menu. Opened the folder that I have created and I have applied trick #2. I was able to select the each individual subtitle and I got the message “Divx sub title selected” in each case. Each subtitle file showed up when I am in the play mode. On the other hand, when I applied the trick to get a gray background by pressing menu and when movie plays, then hitting the system menu trick twice did not work. I got the hand again. On the other hand, first selecting the subtitle file as described and then playing the movie by pressing menu button and pressing the system menu twice on the remote after the first frame did the trick. Renaming the file with less than 12 characters or naming it exactly the same way with the movie file did not matter much. Both files worked. In my second attempt, I created a folder and gave it an arbitrary name. I put the subtitle file and the movie file into this folder. Subtitle file was named exactly as the movie file. Applying #2 tricks was successful. I got the subtitles. I use Nero burning software. Subtitle files are .srt files created with subrip and saved as ASCI-II (text file) after editing with MS Word. Later, I opened them with subtitle workshop and did the file splitting and time adjustment. I saved them as subrip .srt files. I do not think that it would make any difference whether you create .srt files either with subrip or subtitle workshop. Latter is convenient and easy to use.
    Third experiment was to test idx/sub subtitles. I burnt a CD from the movie and the subtitle files (cc.sub.raw/idx/sub). Subtitle files were named exactly as the movie files. Player recognized only one file as mpeg 2 and I did not get any luck. I have created another CD from the same subtitle files and the movie. This time I have put them into a folder and burnt the CD. Subtitles did not work. The subtitle file was again recognized as mpeg 2. I did find some information how to convert subrip files to .srt. Below is the two ways explained. In my opinion, the player is not recognizing .idx file which is necessary to time stamp and play the OCR image sub file.

1) In subrip select Open VOB, Open IFO and select the .idx. Complete the optical recognition and save the file as .srt.
    2) Look in the directory where VobSub is installed for an .exe file which is called "Subresync." Double-click that to run the program, and you can use Subresync to convert your sub-idx files to srt format.

I have converted the subtitles to .srt by applying the method 1. I created a folder and I have named it as I wish. I named the subtitle file as I wish. I put the movie and the subtitle file into this folder and burn it to CD with Nero. It worked.

Anyway, it was a challenge for me to get this player to show subtitles. I have seen several people suffering from the same problem. I hope this review will help. I also thank all of the people who shared their experiences and solutions via different forums and threads. I have solved my problem combining methods 2 and 4. Although, I did not test these in the old firmware, I believe it will not make any difference. Here is the summary of the methods that worked for me with Philips DVP 642/17 firmware version 1109.

1) Create a folder. Name is not important.
    2) Put your movie and subtitle file (.srt) into this folder.
    3) Burn the folder to CD. I used Nero with default settings.
    4) Put the CD into the player.
    5) When disk loads, select the folder and open it. If movie starts immediately, stop it and go to root menu. Find folder and open it.
    6) Select the subtitle file. Do not hit OK. Instead press subtitle button on the remote.
    7) Make sure you will see “DIVX sub title selected”.
    8) Then select movie and then hit OK or PLAY.
    9) You can choose three different subtitle settings by pressing subtitle button and also you can turn subtitles off by pressing several times till subtitle off option appears on the display.
    10) If you want to apply change the background to gray setting, then, after item 7 do the following. Select the movie and press menu (not the system menu). Wait till wait and reading file messages disappear and then press system menu button twice after the appearance of the first frame.

12. backdude

backdude Member

acid63:

Thanks for the comprehensive subtitle guide. Personally I haven't had as much trouble with sub-titles other than this latest issue I posted about with the lower resolution video files. What video resolution are your AVIs encoded at? I'm curious if anyone else is having the same problems I am with subtitle playback on lower resolution video files like 352*176

For the most part I found that if I had the following files on my CD:

movie1.avi
    movie1.srt

I found that I could follow the instructions in the manual and get them to play the subtitles:

1. In the menu highlight the subtitle file.
    2. Press 'Sub-title'. It comes up with 'DivX subtitle selected'
    3. Select the AVI file and start playing.

The subtitles seem to come up.

As an experiment I took the SRT file above, renamed it, and re-burned it on another CD with my lower resolution movie:

movie2.avi
    movie2.srt

In this case the subtitles didn't come up at all, even though the exact same subtitle file worked previously under a different file name.

I'm suspecting the problem may be related to the video resolution of the AVI. Has anyone else seen this?

13. acid63

acid63 Guest

I do have high quality avi files. Many of them 640X480 or whatever the best high quality ratio calculated. I did not try any low resolution movie. Hope this helps.

14. bryan_168

bryan_168 Member

hi all,

joined this forum just to ask a few Q's about this DVD player... i work in a electronics store in dublin Ireland and i have a colection of DivX movies on my computer (just over 100) that i want to back up. in work we sell the DVP 630 which i was goin to get but i read the insruction manual one day in work n it says that it will only play DivX from burned CDs.

being quite dissapointed i started look around the net for a player thatr would allow DivX playback from a personally burned DVD-R(w). i found one called a DVP 762.

unfortuantly the problem with this player is that no one in ireland sells it n it cost over twice as much as the 630, i would have to get one sent over from UK and that would raise the cost even more.

anyway, while looking round the net again i found this forum all about the 642 which is basically the US version of the 630, and from readin this forum i get the impression that the 642 can play DivX avi files from a presonally burned DVD-R(w). i would like someone who owns one to confirm this if its true.

if it is i can get one from the states n easily crack the region settings and it would still be cheaper than buying the expensive DVP762

because on the philips website it has a pdf file of the user manual for the DVP642 n it says that it will olso only play DivX from CD-R(W), same as the 630.

my thought is now this, if it says in the manual that it wont play DivX from DVD-R(W) and yet it does maybe the same is the case for the DVP 630...

anyway sorry to be long winded about this but i just want to know if DivX files copied onto a DVD-R(W) will play on either the DVP642 or the DVP630.

if any there knows this for sure could they let me know, as i dont want to have to pay over 220 euros for a DVD player to play my movies when i can get the 630 from work for 80 euros r the 642 from the staes for probably about 100 euros inc. P+P.

Please let me know if anyone knows about this... thanks :D

15. bryan_168

bryan_168 Member

incase your wonderin .. yes i downloaded most of these movies form the internet, would that be a problem?

16. roylayer

roylayer Guest

Yes, it plays divX on DVD-Rs with no problem. The manual is not very complete, and in some cases (as you discovered) is even misleading.

I suspect that the other model you mentioned that can play divX on CD-R can also play them on DVD-R too, but of course I can't know that for sure.

17. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I finally an idiot proof format conversion program that I can use to make anything I download from the internet, even realmedia, playable on this dvd player. It's called MPEG 4 DirectMaker and it's worth every penny of the 30 bucks I paid for it. No more running files through 3 different programs, this swiss army knife does it all. Qpel or GMC-no problem, bad divx or xvid-no problem. Fantastic program-give it a try, you'll love it.

18. pvssr

pvssr Guest

zrdb:

can u give some more info on this product like, give an example of some file which was unplayable before (the codecs used in it, bitrate etc.) and how much time did it require to convert, output quality, etc.

TIA

19. backdude

backdude Member

bryan_168:

Can you try burning some of your divx movies on to a DVD and try them on the 630 player at where you work? That's probably the safest bet to find out. You never know if may be differences between the 630 and 642 that *might* prevent divx movies on DVD from working in the 630.

20. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

You can go directly to www.Artech365.com and download a 30 day trial version.Make sure you download Direct Maker, not the vcd version. It works very well-if you convert fansubbed anime beware, there is a water mark in the unregistered version that is right where the subs are. That makes them very hard to read. Also ther might be some video audio sync problems. I'm still playing with it so I'll probally find a way around it. Codecs supported are divx 3 and 5, xvid and some others. The vcd version is 30 bucks, the full version that I have is 50 bucks. Let me know how you make out with it.