1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Zorc

Zorc Guest

Damn, it still doesn't work. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I upgraded it and nothing. Burned all the different subs extensions and nothing... On the little picture beside the sub name (on the left) there's a question mark so guess it doesn't recognize it... I'm in a desperate need of help here, folks :)

2. estebbins

estebbins Member

Hi Zorc-

Call me crazy, but I would suggest that the difference in operation that you're seeing is due to the fact that it's a different model... (i.e. 630 v 642) ;-)

3. Zorc

Zorc Guest

Hehe, you're right :) I have 630/02 and this fact still doesn't solve my problem :p It is supposed to support subtitles after you ugrade it but nada... zip... niente :)

4. estebbins

estebbins Member

Hey Zorc-

Well then, I don't mean to be a dick, but perhaps you should start a new thread or seek another forum where they are discussing the particular model of DVD player that you have. <snip> Oh cripes, didn't mean to be that much of a dick <snip>
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Authoring DVD's is easy... When you come to the fork in the road, just make sure and take it.[/small]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  5. BgThang

BgThang Member

OK Maybe this might help. I just bought this philips dvp642 player yesterday evening. I have roughly 600 divX movies in a several binders that had about an inch of dust on them. I was quite busy 4 years ago. I had turned to Svcd's over the last 2 years because of the Apex players and the ability to upgrade the firmware. they were really neat specially the apex 660 unit which i still have and works GREAT, because you can change the backgrounds on it. You know the big DVD video splash screen to whatever you want. I got my name and address on it so if it ever got stolen the pawn shop can say hey thats not you. ANYWAYS back to this DVP642/17 player. I bought a sony ns517p just 14 months ago because I have a 65" wide mitsubishi HD TV and I wanted a very versatile progressive dvd player. This thing I thought was great. Well the next invention of sliced bread has got to be the philips DVP642. IT SEEMS TO PLAY EVERYTHING. Here is a list of things it will do and will NOTS:

Wills:
    1. Plays DVD-r/rw dvd+r/rw
    2. divX all versions.
    3.Xvid +++i personally dont have many of theses
    4. MP3 burnt directly to DVD.
    5. mp3 on CD of course
    6. multiple divX on dvd. gives you a directory
    7. JPEGS. hell even lets you rotate the pics as they slide by
    8. regular DVD's of course
    9. Hell it played a dvd that had pics, mp3's and vcds on it. just selected what I wanted on directory
    10. can upgrade firmware via CD-R (very kewl as always) never have to worry about not being able toupgrade unit.
    11. plays regular retail music cd's
    12. This unit is divX certified. www.divx.com/vod
    13. this unit has component out for your 480p pleasure.
    14. this unit has pre programmed settings for different audio settings ex. hall, studio, etc..
    15 has pre programmed settings for video ex. soft, bright, normal etc. also has custom.
    16. has ability to change region VIA REMOTE
    17. Supposedly macrovisionfree except when transferring to dvd-recorder.
    18. has a zoom to 3x and you can move arrows to move the pic around
    19. progressive scan and has beautiful Picture for DVD's

Ok heres the not so popular features.
    1. divX quality lousey. VCD quality at best. I have tried 3.11 4 and divx 5.11 before and after upgrade
    2. no open tray button on remote. Later found out just hold the stop button
    3. 11 character titles
    4. doesn't come with component cables just standard rca and a video.
    5. doesn't have a movie stop memory like my sony which remembers 35 movies.
    6. when forwarding through chapters display on tv just syas next without giving you a chapter number.
    7. when push remote buttons sometimes you have to do it twice and hold them for a bit.
    8. doesn't do dishes or clean house :(

ok folks thats about it. I would certainly recommend this and to buy a back up one.. Wal-mart in Livingston, Tx had 15 units yesterday $69.95. Don't get me wrong the divX playback is an awesome feature and took them long enough. I have several movies on divX that have not been released on DVD. Its about like watching a movie that had been recorded from tv in fast mode. you know the mode where you can get 8 hours onto a vcr tape. I like the directories for dvds because you can add all kinds of stuff and maximize you dvd space.

I just hope this last longer than my philips 24X cd burner I bought 3 years ago. They wern't the greatest.
    I hope their quality has improved.

6. passivex

passivex Member

Don't know if this will work on the 630 but I have the same problem with subtitles on my 642 -- the player would not recognize the subtitle files (question mark icon shows up instead of the dialog icon). I found that if you rename the subtitle file to contain less than 12 characters, the player will recognize the subtitle. Man...now I have to reburn some of my DVDs since the subs will not work. Hopefully the next firmware will fix this.

7. deanjr

deanjr Guest

Now all of you have me confused on whether this Phillips DVD player is even worth it. For one, anyone out there that is ripping movies to DivX format has a DVD Burner (at least a CD burner) so you know what your movies look like on your monitor. Looks GREAT!

Now you have to look at it this way, the TV standards here in the US have a resolution of 352 wide by 240 high. Your monitors that you use with your computer are just about twice that resolution on their lowest setting (640 by 480). Now think about it, viewing a movie that has been ripped to the DivX format most likely will look like crap on an old analog TV.

I don't own this product but considering it since it does have SVHS output which is supposed to give you better clarity in the video than if you use the composite or co-axial cables running to an old TV.

Hint people, by 2006 most people will be using HDTV which your computer is capable of playing right now, SO.......

8. chappimp

chappimp Member

oh its worth it. by far.

a divx rip will never look quite as good as the dvd, but so what. if the picture needs to be dvd then walk your ass over to blockbuster.

9. mobilemit

mobilemit Guest

I love this player and I think it makes the DivX files look just as good as possible within the limits of a NTSC monitor and the DivX codec. Not sure what the other guy was griping about.

This is the 4th DVD player I have owned (all good name brand players) and this is the best playing one by far. It deals with scratches better, plays DVD-Rs better and that it plays DivX is just a sweet bonus.

10. eesahmuu

eesahmuu Member

hi .. i picked up one of these mainly cuz of it's subtitle upgrade but i can't even get them to work .. player is upgraded to the 0531 firmware .. none of my srts appear with the "..." icon .. they all appear with the "?" icon .. and i get the hand of doom when i try to select the file as a subtitle ..

i've actually tried that but it still doesn't work .. i still get the hand and question mark of doom .. named it the same way and everythin' .. =(

i thought it may've been the way i was burning the disc but the dvp642 knows something is there .. i've been burning my discs as cd-rom xa .. would burning it as a cd-rom like the firmware disc possibly work ? .. argh ..

any help appreciated ..

11. Deeb5003

Deeb5003 Member

DivX confusion reigns:

- file captured with ATI AIW 9700Plus, DixV Codec 5.1.1, 640x480, 29.97 FPS, 24 bit, 4:3, MP3 sound
    written to CD or DVD and put into DVP642/17 w latest FW: after "reading index ..." a black screen, no sound, time jumps forward a few seconds at a time

- test files downloaded from DixV.com
    one plays with video and audio
    one has video but no audio
    one has video but gets stuck

- ALL files play fine on a PC, e.g., with PowerDVD or Mediaplayer

Any hints?

12. Zorc

Zorc Guest

eesahmuu:

Yeah, try burning it the same way as the FM upgrade. It worked for me.

zorc

13. Deeb5003

Deeb5003 Member

Thanks, I wish it were that simple. Doing that did not change a thing. Still looking for the solution.

14. Deeb5003

Deeb5003 Member

Thanks, I wish it were that simple. Doing that did not change a thing. Still looking for the solution.

15. estebbins

estebbins Member

Deeb-

Zorc was responding to another user. Nobody has replied to your issue as of yet... Hopefully someone with more DivX knowledge than me will step up to the plate however.

eesahmu-

Creating CD-XA would definitely cause the symptoms you are describing. Hybrid CD's are becoming increasingly rare. Try burning your files as a simple data disc.

-E

16. vidx

vidx Guest

HI I am a newbie to the forum and in general to these video things. However, I have a DVP 642. It worked fine for most video files except some avi files which had problems. here is the list

1. some of the .avi or Xvid files which i burnt onto a cdr using my cendyne CDRW can play perfectly on my computer. But when I play it on the player, the audio is ok but the pictures turn up screwy and warped. How can I solve this problem? is it a problem with the player, the disc or should I convert it into another format. If so, how should i do it?

2. I tried playing some divx movies which worked on my computer but it just didn't read on the player. For one of the movies they had a 'codec not supported' message

3. For a few divx movies, there is video but no audio. Likewise, these files work perfectly on my computer.

4. I had a movie i burnt which kep skipping and jumping and jerking making it unwatchable.

5. For movies with MKV and quicktime format or other format, how can I convert them into a viable format that can play on my player. I manage to convert some to avi format using river past video cleaner but the final file size was more than 1GB. How can I keep file size to about 700 plus MB to fit a CDR. Is the only solution to convert them to VCD or something else.

Please help!! I am burning tons of unwatchable cds and all i am collecting is a ton of useless coasters...

Thanks!!!

17. chappimp

chappimp Member

18. eesahmuu

eesahmuu Member

argh .. i am doomed .. =(
    i still got the hand of doom ..
    CD-ROM XA + Level 1 ISO = did not work ..
    CD-ROM + Level 1 ISO = did not work ..
    CD-ROM XA + Joliet = did not work ..

hmm i jus remembered i did burnt the firmware disc as CD-XA + Level 1 ISO ..
    however .. the player updated with no problems ..

ahhh i even checked a regular dvd to see if subtitles were working period and they were .. =(
    hmmmm should i mention i'm on a Mac ? ..
    although i dun see how bein' on a Mac would effect how the DVP642 reads the .srt/.sub/etc ..
    DVP642 KNOWS they're there jus won't read dem .. =(

19. vidx

vidx Guest

Thanks....but what would the avi split do?? what problem would it solve. Will downloading the new codec help solve anything? since the DVP player does not recognize the file. how should i get the player to read the file? should i change the format before burning it onto a cdr?
    One of the movies had a codec problem followed by a QPEL.
    I upgraded the software of the player to read divx subtitles. I burnt the subtitle file with the .srt extension with the video file and followed the instructions Phillips gave to launch the divx movie with subtitles but it didn't work. How can i get the subtitles to work with my movie?
    Sorry for the questions... I am new to this and still trying to build up my collection...and am not much of a computer person. just happen to enjoy creating videos.
    How do i shrink the video file into a manageable size after having converted it using river past.

Thanks
    vidx

20. chappimp

chappimp Member

it would split the avi... so it will fit on a CD. Christ.

maybe there is some thing wrong with your files, thats why you should get gspot.