1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. skpoly

skpoly Member

Hi, I got DVP642/37 today, but there's a sound problem, which I can't solve until now. My Sony TV (produced in 2000) gives out only about 1/20 amount of sound when DVD's are played. I can hardly hear the sound. Philips website says reasons but in real they don't help solve the problem at all. Do I have to buy a better TV, or buy some sort of 'amplifier' to be able to enjoy the full scale of sound???

2. Zisguy1

Zisguy1 Member

skpoly: Which sound output are you using? Left/Right RCA plugs? Tryin turning on or off D.R.C. in system menu/sound options.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  3. skpoly

skpoly Member

Zisguy1
    Thank you.

Yes, I use simple L/R cables came with the product.

BTW, I tried every possible combitation out of sound options, including D.R.C, but in vain. But, I see your point in turing on/off D.R.C., since the Philips website says the reason could be D.R. mismatch between the DVD player and the TV. But even so, don't you think it's ridiculous? -_-

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  4. timekills

timekills Member

I burned a DL disk from an image I created with DVD Decryptor. I also burned it with DVD Decrypter (no - there is no OS X/Darwin/BSD version, sorry). It played just fine on my 642, as well as on my "normal" DVD player (Panasonic).

I have not tried it with Nero yet, as I haven't felt like buying anymore $5+ dvd blanks to test. I did that back in the day with DVD-Rs and befoer that with $3 CD-Rs, and this time I'll let someone else be the guinea pig. :) But the one I did, worked fine.

P.S. the +R D/L was an Imation, and no special layer break modification was done - at least by me. I assume that information was part of the image created by DVD Decrypter, but regardless, I just ripped to image, and then burned the image.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  5. goldstar

goldstar Member

i've tested DVD+/-R also CD-RW all do work so far))

6. marlenus

marlenus Member

i am having audio problems as well with some divx content. gspot shows it to be:

(MP3, ISO) MPE
    48KHz 128kb/sec
    2 channel
    Lame 3.90 codec

video works fine, no audio at all. audio is fine on the PC.

7. Sands

Sands Member

I'm purchasing a DVD burner this weekend: LG 16x Internal Dual Layer. I was gonna pick up a 50pack spindle of generic 8x DVD+R also. So I'm just curious if the DVP can ACTUALLY play "+R" DVDs?

And I plan on burning multiple movies onto a DVD. So should I make separate folders for each movie? I also have the subtitle files of the movies: the ".idx" and the ".sub" files. So how should I arrange and burn the files? (It'll be the first time I burn subtitles.)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  8. belaxion

belaxion Member

Frm GSPOT,

audio codec: 0x0055(MP3, ISO) MPEG-1 Layer 3

video codec: XviD

i'm usin DVP642 also, but it says codec not supported! is there a way to solve this problem?

9. castaban

castaban Member

Belaxion,
    Get the new Beta version of GSpot and check whether Qpel or GMC is turned (I bet it is). In this case you have to re-encode it without it/them

10. Zisguy1

Zisguy1 Member

Yes, the DVP642 can play "+R" DVD's. I burn mine with booktype "DVD-ROM" -- see this website:

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/Article.asp?mid=0&sid=2&aid=42

Last edited: Feb 16, 2005
  11. icewill36

icewill36 Member

for audio d-sync, i simply went to audio options and changed it to PCM only, and i believe DRC on, movies that would previously dsync, havent since, even without hitting the menu button twice.

12. shanchri

shanchri Member

I was able to open only about 1 in 20 of my hundred or so .sub or .srt files with this DVD Player. I tried every fix I could find in all the postings, all with no luck at all. Finally, I tried a different burning software: for me, Nero Express V.6 solved the problem. I've made a few disks on DVD+R and CD-RW and DVD-RW and they all work. The Roxio software seemed okay, but it must have been copying the subs incorrectly. Hope it solves someone else's subs issues too.

13. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I finally figured out how to play ogg vorbis audio encoded xvid on this player, basically it involves demuxing the ogg file and converting it to mp3, then reinterleaving it with the video using Virtual Dub Mod. Perfect playback the 1st time.

14. riga

riga Member

Hello,

Can anyone here tell me why either of these files will not play on the dvp642? The unit justs skips over them, and several similar others. Or maybe there is a tweak or conversion to get them to play? Thanks

1) movie1.wmv, 491 kbits/sec, windows media video 8, windows media audio 9, 1 pass cbr, 320x240

2) movie2.avi
    AVI File Details (output from gspot)
    ========================================
    Name.........: MOVIE2.AVI
    Filesize.....: 108 MB (or 111,232 KB or 113,902,288 bytes)
    Runtime......: 00:15:19 (27,553 fr)
    Video Codec..: DivX 5.0
    Video Bitrate: 898 kb/s
    Audio Codec..: adpcm (0x0002) Microsoft Corporation
    Audio Bitrate: 89 kb/s, monophonic
    Frame Size...: 320x240 (1.33:1) [=4:3]

15. paddyb

paddyb Member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  16. DarthCroc

DarthCroc Member

I have burned using both Ritek DL+R and Verbatim DL+R and they both have worked flawlessly on my phillips 642 firmware 531. My burner is a Pioneer DVR-108

17. vibe69

vibe69 Member

so what does this new firmware exactly do?

18. lilricky

lilricky Member

19. Crais

Crais Member

God I hope they fix the "jail cell" vertical line issue with Divx/Xvid!

20. pvssr

pvssr Guest

In some videos somtimes blocks of low resolution appear. They do not appear on the computer(Maybe due to presence of postprocessors). Is there any way in which i can smooth over those these block so that they do not appear when viewing with my 642K.